Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Enes Kanter... Ruled Ineligible

Per www.kentuckysportsradio.com the NCAA has rules Kanter permanently ineligible. Mods feel free to move.

Kanter ruled ineligible by NCAA; UK to appeal

Press release from the NCAA just came out: http://www.ncaa.com/sports/m-baskbl/...111110aab.html

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Here's the full report linked in that article.

http://www.ncaa.com/sports/m-baskbl/...111110aab.html
    Kanter played three seasons with the Turkish sport club Fenerbahce from 2006-07 to 2008-09. Although he competed primarily for the club’s under-18 junior team, he did compete on the club’s senior team in 2008-09. According to facts agreed to by the university and the NCAA Eligibility Center, Kanter received $33,033 more than his expenses for the 2008-09 season.
    “Enes took advantage of an opportunity to play at the highest level available to him, but the consequences of receiving payments above his actual expenses is not compatible with the collegiate model of sports that our members have developed,” said Kevin Lennon, NCAA vice president of academic and membership affairs
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

This pleases me. Interesting development as from what I've heard the NCAA was looking at this case to set a precedent for other international players looking to make the move to the NBA via the NCAA. Sorry Cal.

Well, this is just lovely. Today is a just a good news day, isn't it!

I wonder how likely it is the appeal will be successful?

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post
    Well, this is just lovely. Today is a just a good news day, isn't it!

I was wondering that as well. What exactly is there to appeal? He received $30,000 above and beyond his expenses. That's a pretty substantial sum. If that's an established fact, then isn't that the end of the story? Seems pretty clear-cut to me. Maybe someone with more understanding of the rules could chime in.

Kentucky fans will not be happy, "The conspiracy continues!"

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post

I have no idea...but it just seems extremely unlikely to me. The NCAA spent so much time researching this case and it is so high profile. They didn't need to come forth today so they must feel pretty confident it is the right call.

Quote Originally Posted by geraldsneighbor View Post
    Per www.kentuckysportsradio.com the NCAA has rules Kanter permanently ineligible. Mods feel free to move.
    Makes Kentucky less of a threat to win a national championship and then vacate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim1515 View Post
    I have no idea...but it just seems extremely unlikely to me. The NCAA spent so much time researching this case and it is so high profile. They didn't need to come forth today so they must feel pretty confident it is the right call.
    Not disagreeing with you, but apparently the appeals committee is completely independent and different from the NCAA committee. So, it seems that it is another perspective that takes a look at the evidence.

The reinstatement committee is the final appeal opportunity in the initial-eligibility process. It is independent and comprised of representatives from NCAA member colleges, universities and athletic conferences and can reduce or remove the conditions, but it cannot increase the conditions imposed by the staff.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim1515 View Post
    I actually think they have a chance. This seems to be the way that the NCAA has gone in the last 6 months with allowing people back in, both in academics and amateurism. Barton at Memphis was let in academically, and Dee Bost was given his amateur status back after the draft fiasco, but this does seem like a steeper hill to climb. Gut feeling, but I'd guess that he has a 10% chance of success, not too bad all things considered.

In a weird way I kind of feel bad for Enes. He did decide to go the college route for a year when he could easily have just decided to go to the NBA, and likely be picked in the 1st round.

Maybe Cal convinced him that he'd be cleared. Now what does the young man do? Practice with a trainer for a year, and then declare? Hopefully he can play in the NBADL or find a quick spot overseas.

What's really funny is that he has already been paid far more than $30,000 for his short time at UK!

Do those boosters get their money back?

Quote Originally Posted by DevilHorns View Post
    In a weird way I kind of feel bad for Enes. He did decide to go the college route for a year when he could easily have just decided to go to the NBA, and likely be picked in the 1st round.

Maybe Cal convinced him that he'd be cleared. Now what does the young man do? Practice with a trainer for a year, and then declare? Hopefully he can play in the NBADL or find a quick spot overseas.
    I didn't think that he was eligible for the draft. I thought he came here and then competed as a high school senior last year. He couldn't go to the NBA until 2011 no matter what. Did I miss something?

Quote Originally Posted by SCMatt33 View Post
    I didn't think that he was eligible for the draft. I thought he came here and then competed as a high school senior last year. He couldn't go to the NBA until 2011 no matter what. Did I miss something?
    You could be right. I interpreted Jay Bilas' answer to this question regarding "turning down a big pay day" as meaning a pay day from the NBA, he could've easily meant just playing overseas.

Bill (Louisville KY)

Have you heard anything in regards to Enes Kanter's eligibility?
    Jay Bilas
    (1:22 PM)

Nothing new. Reasonable minds can differ, but I think he should be cleared, and right now. The NCAA will say it has 70,000 jocks in 88 sports to clear. Well, I say that college basketball pays for 95% of the bills for the entire athletics landscape for the NCAA, so they should prioritize things correctly. And, Kanter grew up in a foreign country with a different system. He wants to turn down a big payday to play in and attend college. Why would we keep him out?
    Anyone know for certain?

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    What's really funny is that he has already been paid far more than $30,000 for his short time at UK!

Do those boosters get their money back?
    Not boosters, they're called tutors.

You could be right. I interpreted Jay Bilas' answer to this question regarding "turning down a big pay day" as meaning a pay day from the NBA, he could've easily meant just playing overseas.

Anyone know for certain?
    He wasn't eligible for the NBA draft. Foreign players must be at least 19 years old as of the new collective bargaining agreement. Enes is only 18. Bilas was talking about big money he turned down overseas.

Anyone else think that it is somewhat backwards that he was not allowed to practice while his status was pending, but now that he is officially ineligible, he can resume practice during the appeal? That doesn't make much sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    He wasn't eligible for the NBA draft. Foreign players must be at least 19 years old as of the new collective bargaining agreement. Enes is only 18. Bilas was talking about big money he turned down overseas.
    Thanks for the info. So he would be eligible for the next NBA draft then. It is what it is.

I don't think that's weird. In fact, I agree. Just because Enes decided to play for a coach that most of us feel is somewhat on the shady side doesn't necessarily mean he's of ill character. I'd be willing to bet he wasn't intending to game the system (NCAA) so much as he was attempting to use it to his greatest benefit. He's NBA material and he knows it so why not take the quickest way to the NBA? With Calipari and Kentucky he'd be the featured frontcourt player on a team loaded in the backcourt and highly publicized in the media. I'm not sure he could gain as much exposure anywhere else.

That being said, he's destined to make millions...which may have been put off for only a year...so it's hard to feel TOO badly for him...

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Bilas
    He wants to turn down a big payday to play in and attend college.

Poor form to leak Kanter's decomittment. If he doesn't want to go to Kentucky, let him announce it his own way.