Cameron's Flashing Lights

At the start of every game, the announcer asks the public to refrain from flash photography. Fair enough. We were therefore surprised the other night against CalPoly when the entire game was punctuated by strong flashes of light every few seconds. The kind of flashing that gives people migraines, if you know what I mean. We soon realized, that the flashes were from a series of powerful lights hanging from the top rafters in Cameron. They were everywhere, and those of us sitting in the top seats could hardly watch the game without getting blind spots in our eyes.
    What's up with that?
    Not sure if the flashing affected the players, but it sure lessened my enjoyment of the game - one of those strobes was aimed right at where we were sitting.
    Any idea what's up with the strobe lights?

Quote Originally Posted by Lithuanian Devil View Post
    At the start of every game, the announcer asks the public to refrain from flash photography. Fair enough. We were therefore surprised the other night against CalPoly when the entire game was punctuated by strong flashes of light every few seconds. The kind of flashing that gives people migraines, if you know what I mean. We soon realized, that the flashes were from a series of powerful lights hanging from the top rafters in Cameron. They were everywhere, and those of us sitting in the top seats could hardly watch the game without getting blind spots in our eyes.
    What's up with that?
    Not sure if the flashing affected the players, but it sure lessened my enjoyment of the game - one of those strobes was aimed right at where we were sitting.
    If they are the giant flash bulbs (that i think they are) they won't use them during the games during the year...they have a little device that attaches to cameras and they use them to take pictures sometimes before games during the year, but not at all during the game

if they are the the fancy lights they put up for CTC lastyear, they took those down before the first game...idk if they had those this year though...either way, don't worry about it, there won't be any lights flashing during games in cameron
    April 1

What's up with that?
    Someone at Buffalo Wild Wings asked them to send the game to overtime.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    If they are the giant flash bulbs (that i think they are) they won't use them during the games during the year...
    Sorry... this is not true from my experience. Last year, I saw those flashbulbs go off all the time during the regular season.

Quote Originally Posted by gam7 View Post
    Someone at Buffalo Wild Wings asked them to send the game to overtime.
    NICE!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYZwb3TFDTo

They do flash during games

Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post
    Sorry... this is not true from my experience. Last year, I saw those flashbulbs go off all the time during the regular season.

Anon is correct. I have seen the flashes go off during big games over the years. I have always wondered if this distracts the players at all.

Those are the lights for the cameras from Duke Photography. They have been there and used throughout games for a few years. I've always found them to be more annoying on TV than in person.
    Trinity '97, Tent #1 '97
    Tampa

Lights ARE active during game

I agree with the prior posters that the lights DO in fact go off while the game is in progress.

It has always amused me when the game announcer states that the use of flash cameras is prohibited (well, what idiot thinks a flash even helps in the first place?!? ) and then very shortly after his announcement the "house" lights resume their customary flashing.

At least I'm not in the line of sight where they probably would mess up my enjoyment of the game.

Oh yes: More than once I've watched the security goons (the ones in "normal" attire) stand on the court during time outs and direct the police or whoever to the location of the person who just committed the heinous crime of premeditated flashing during the timeout....usually in the "crustie section."

You can't have it both ways, guys...

k

Quote Originally Posted by msdukie View Post
    Those are the lights for the cameras from Duke Photography. They have been there and used throughout games for a few years. I've always found them to be more annoying on TV than in person.
    They've been there for more than 20 years, probably even longer than that. You don't need them as much for digital photography nowadays (although they help), but you certainly need them when shooting basketball games with ASA 64 Kodachrome.

Quote Originally Posted by sleepybear View Post
    Anon is correct. I have seen the flashes go off during big games over the years. I have always wondered if this distracts the players at all.
    apologies...guessed jumping up and down distorts your vision!
    April 1

I got a response from the Athletic Office. As stated by others, the strobe lights are used by Duke Photography and Sports Illustrated to shoot feature photos during some, but not all Duke games. They do go off during the game.
    I've been assured that SI is willing to reposition their strobes so they don't interfere with the players or fans enjoyment of the game. We'll see.

If you continue to be bothered by the strobes, I suggest contacting Matt Plizga, Associate Sports Information Director, Duke University.

Go Duke!

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I got a response from the Athletic Office.
    Go Duke!
    I love good detective work, thanks for finding out. I've never noticed the lights before, now the next time I'm in Cameron they'll probably be on mind the whole game.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

They're primarily annoying when playing back (or editing) TV recordings in slow motion. I don't think I was even aware of their presence for the first ~5 years I was going to games in person. Of course, now that I know to look for them, I can't help but notice...