Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    I'm not one of those who thinks that Ol' Roy needs a lightning fast point guard to succeed. I do, however, think that Hinrich was quick with the ball. From what I've read and the tiny bit I've seen, Marshall isn't anywhere as quick as Hinrich. Sounds like he will be a defensive liability and maybe not all that effective in the half court offense. Or at least that's what many of us hope!
    Hinrich was good (he's still in the League and playing decent minutes for Washington), and I've never seen Marshall play so I can't make a valid comparison. I have no idea if Marshall's any good and I certainly hope he's a defensive liability.

The only reason I brought up Hinrich (and it wasn't directed at you) was because it gets old hearing the same "Roy can't win without a superquick PG" babble from otherwise intelligent fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    Is it too early to proclaim Harrison Barnes the biggest bust in college basketball history? I say no.
    It was also kind of early to proclaim him as an All American too wasn't it?

I've actually seen Kendall play numerous times for the Boo Williams AAU team over the last several years. He and Andre played together on that team and I was mainy watching Andre.

I certainly wouldn't write him off as quickly as some seem willing to do. He may not have blazing speed like a Lawson or Teague, but he IS an excellent passer with a high level of court sense and feel for the game. He is an upgrade over LD imho.

Quote Originally Posted by sandinmyshoes View Post
    I'm sorry, but a great passer is a great passer. The rest of his game will need work. If I were to consider some aspect of his game as overrated, it would be his handle. Oh, it's fine, but it's not at the level of Kyrie, or in UNC's history guys like Lawson and Cota.

He's not likely to rack up the assit numbers against ACC level defenses that he did in high school and the AAU, but it's very rare for any player to carry their stats over.

I should have just stayed out of this. But I hate when we act as blinkered on DBR as ICers and TDDers. It's as if giving any kind of credit to a kid like Marshall sets of some knee jerk reaction where all assumptions on his potential have to be worst case scenario.

Time will tell. Me, I give up.
    You really do not believe that defense matters in how well an opposing PG can pass the ball? I have to disagree here. I have seen many a good PG have trouble with turnovers when playing against teams that defend the passing lanes and provide very tight ball pressure. The question is can KM adjust to that. But you have to acknowledge that the quality of defense matters otherwise why would K spend so much time on teaching our guys to defend the passing lanes??

absolutely, defense matters. also, the ability of the PG to adjust to that defense is key. no one knows how great KM will be or whether or not he will be a bust. I am taking a wait and see approach. I am excited that he is playing for UNC. I think that you can see qualities in a player, regardless of the competition he is playing. Also, in practice, he is playing against Div I talent and during the summer, he played against NBA pros that graduated from UNC. To that, everyone will say that defense isn't a focus of pick-up games or whatever. Point is, some of you guys will say whatever it took to talk him down. To me, that's pointless. He is slow and he reportedly lacks consistent scoring ability. But is that his role on the team? He doesn't have to be Lawson and he doesn't have to be Jon S. He just has to be as good as KM can be and I believe that means he makes his teammates better. Is he a liability on defense? Maybe, but do not forget that Dexter Strickland is as fast a player as there is in the ACC. Whether or not he can stay in front of KI is yet to be seen, but how many players are there that can claim that? KM at 6'4" may be better suited for guarding the 2 guard. Who knows how it all plays out, but there are options, unlike last year.

Quote Originally Posted by kong123 View Post
    Whether or not he can stay in front of KI is yet to be seen ...
    I was at the Jordan Classic this year. This is not yet to be seen. Interestingly, Marshall was also the only player not to score in the game, though he did have eight assists and four steals (and six turnovers). (Box score)

Quote Originally Posted by Starter View Post
    I was at the Jordan Classic this year. This is not yet to be seen. Interestingly, Marshall was also the only player not to score in the game, though he did have eight assists and four steals (and six turnovers). (Box score)
    "Maybe, but do not forget that Dexter Strickland is as fast a player as there is in the ACC. Whether or not he can stay in front of KI is yet to be seen, but how many players are there that can claim that? "

Not sure what you're getting at, I'm just saying I watched Irving eat Marshall's lunch in person. And sure, Strickland's fast. As a frequent attendee at St. Pat's games, good to see him back at his natural position.

Quote Originally Posted by Starter View Post
    Not sure what you're getting at, I'm just saying I watched Irving eat Marshall's lunch in person. And sure, Strickland's fast. As a frequent attendee at St. Pat's games, good to see him back at his natural position.
    My point was, I was talking about Dexter guarding KI, that is who I was "waiting to see", if DS could stay in front of KI, not KM.

My point was, I was talking about Dexter guarding KI, that is who I was "waiting to see", if DS could stay in front of KI, not KM.
    I think that would be a better matchup for Dexter to guard Kyrie. Of course that would leave Drew guarding Nolan. Haven't we seen that matchup before?

Okay I just couldn't resist... And I apologize to Kong in advance...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCi6NnGd7aQ

Kong says that Drew II will likely be replaced by Marshall, so it may be more like this (Kendall is in no way as good as Rice Jr yet)...

http://www.worldstarhiphop.com/video...P9nkMh45WARNTl

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    OK, but my point was that Roy managed to win (albeit mostly at Kansas) without lightning fast PGs in the Felton/Lawson mold. I'm not saying Hinrich and Marshall are the same, but who cares? If he could win with Hinrich why not with Marshall?

The idea that Roy can only do things one way is a myth propagated by Duke fans, and in my opinion is just as invalid as the many stupid myths about Duke propagated by Duke haters.
    I also believe the "Roy can only win with a lightning fast PG" is a myth that I would enjoy discovering is true, but certainly hasn't been proven true at this point. I think Roy wins more when he has more talented teams.
    “Those two kids, they’re champions,” Krzyzewski said of his senior leaders. “They’re trying to teach the other kids how to become that, and it’s a long road to become that.”

Oh, okay. Had a bunch of "he's" in there, didn't know who you meant.

Regardless, I still like Kyrie's chances, and also those of whomever is guarded by Marshall.

Quote Originally Posted by NSDukeFan View Post
    I also believe the "Roy can only win with a lightning fast PG" is a myth that I would enjoy discovering is true, but certainly hasn't been proven true at this point. I think Roy wins more when he has more talented teams.
    To me the myth isn't that Roy cannot win without a lighting quick PG. To me the issue is will Roy recognize that he doesn't have the super fast PG and adjust accordingly. I certainly think Roy is smart enough to do this, but he hasn't always shown the willingness to do it. If he does play to his players strengths he can have a really good year. Last year I really believe that he wanted to force the pace and got stubborn when it wasn't working and essentially imploded.