Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Okay, lets see..

PG Irving & Cook
    SG Rivers & Curry

Why in the world would post players not want to come to Duke? If Duke has the best back court this year, imagine what next year will be like.

I have a feeling a post player will be committing soon...

Maybe a de-commit and then a commit...

Quote Originally Posted by dukeimac View Post
    Okay, lets see..

PG Irving & Cook
    SG Rivers & Curry

Why in the world would post players not want to come to Duke? If Duke has the best back court this year, imagine what next year will be like.

I have a feeling a post player will be committing soon...

Maybe a de-commit and then a commit...
    First of all, you forgot Tyler Thornton, who will be seeing decent minutes next year, as well as Andre Dawkins and Mike Gbinije, even though both will see minutes at the "3" (as will Austin). Second, the possibility of Kyrie still being here is far from a sure thing.

But to answer your question, a post player wouldn't want to come to Duke if that post player wanted to be a primary (or secondary or tertiary) option on offense.

I bet Chris Collins ...

Quote Originally Posted by Gewebe14 View Post
    Is it just me or has Nolan (seemingly) done more for Duke recruiting than anyone else in the last few years...

Except for Nate James obv
    would like in on this discussion ...

Quote Originally Posted by Orange&BlackSheep View Post
    would like in on this discussion ...
    And let's not forget Andre Dawkin's efforts as well.

But back to Quinn, I've been sure of the kid for a long time. I can rememeber posters mentioning him when he was like 14 years old. Someone even posted a pic of a young Quinn hanging out with Nolan. I thought it might be close to impossible to say no considering all of their ties and how he he's watched Nolan development. Great to have Quinn here - he's gonna be solid.

Also a small nod to the chemistry our team should have for the next few years. Many of the players are good and familiar with each other. Some are even brothers.

Quote Originally Posted by SupaDave View Post
    His league is giving us some really quality players.
    Aren't the DMV guys (Smith, Thornton, Hairston, Cook) all DC Assault alums?

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    Aren't the DMV guys (Smith, Thornton, Hairston, Cook) all DC Assault alums?
    yes - and all of these kids play in the Boo Williams tourneys. It's great for seeing and evaluating talent in the area.

Welcome

Thanks for coming to Duke Quinn...You are going to love it here.

Welcome to DUKE Quinn! Can't wait to see you play next season.

Silly ESPN speculation

I think this silly bit of speculation from ESPN (sorry, it's Insider) is more appropriate here than in its own thread. The thesis is that, with the commitment of Cook, the backcourt will be so crowded that Andre Dawkins may head elsewhere, and Coach Dawkins might have an ideal spot for him at Stanford.

Looking forward to Quin lighting it up with Austin next year! Welcome to Duke!

Woohoo!

Quote Originally Posted by SuperTurkey View Post
    I think this silly bit of speculation from ESPN (sorry, it's Insider) is more appropriate here than in its own thread. The thesis is that, with the commitment of Cook, the backcourt will be so crowded that Andre Dawkins may head elsewhere, and Coach Dawkins might have an ideal spot for him at Stanford.
    Especially silly since the WF will probably be our weakest position. While Dawkins can be a 2, he'll spend time at the 3, with Gbinije being the primary competition next year. Who else can play the 3? I guess maybe Hairston...If anyone would get lost in the shuffle, it'd be Thornton with Cook + Curry at PG.

In any event, glad to have Quinn on board! Welcome to Duke! He's going to be a great player for us.

Supposedly, Cook put up 31 points and 14 assists tonight. Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Supposedly, Cook put up 31 points and 14 assists tonight. Nice!
    Yep, according to his coach's tweet.

Won tonight 119-67. Quinn Cook had 31 and 14 assists, Ben McLemore 30, Jordan Adams 20, and Keith Hornsby 17.

Welcome to Duke QC! It's gonna be an awesome ride, looking forward to you being a big part of that!

Why would a post player come to Duke, because everything starts with the guards. See UNC last season for a reference.

I didn't include Dawkins and Gbinije because they are SF.

Everything starts with the guards!

I'm afraid with Kyrie, Curry, Austin and Cook it will be a good few years before TT gets actual playing time that he might be a transfer. Especially if Cook is a 4 year guy. Sounds like TT is a very good defender but Kyrie and Cook are better (maybe not much) passers and are much better scorers. Before I would talk about TT with this group he'll need to prove he can put up the points.

A couple reasons a big man won't come include a)Our big-man coach was a guard b)They probably saw the role our bigs played last year and think K will attempt to continue with that formula. I have couple more reasons bouncing around in my head... I'll share them if i can remember.

Thumbs down Just Trolling Along, I Suppose

Quote Originally Posted by dukeimac View Post

Why would a post player come to Duke, because everything starts with the guards. See UNC last season for a reference.

I didn't include Dawkins and Gbinije because they are SF.

Everything starts with the guards!

I'm afraid with Kyrie, Curry, Austin and Cook it will be a good few years before TT gets actual playing time that he might be a transfer. Especially if Cook is a 4 year guy. Sounds like TT is a very good defender but Kyrie and Cook are better (maybe not much) passers and are much better scorers. Before I would talk about TT with this group he'll need to prove he can put up the points.
    This Board doesn't need these gratuitous slaps at Duke recruiting and a current player IMHO. What is your point in making troll-like comments? First of all, the best player at Duke this year is not a guard. Moreover, of the 12 Duke players in the NBA, the seven who start are all forwards -- Deng, Boozer, McBob, Dunleavy, Brand, Hill, and Battier. Plus, Maggette (F) also plays starter minutes.

Second and WRT to Tyler Thornton: what is the purpose of such negative speculation ever -- but especially before he has even played in a game? You are implying, as you well recognize, that he made a mistake coming to Duke. Well he was the DC-area POY last year. Maybe, just maybe he will be a really good player at Duke, and maybe even this year.

sagegrouse

I couldn't agree more...

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    This Board doesn't need these gratuitous slaps at Duke recruiting and a current player IMHO. What is your point in making troll-like comments? First of all, the best player at Duke this year is not a guard. Moreover, of the 12 Duke players in the NBA, the seven who start are all forwards -- Deng, Boozer, McBob, Dunleavy, Brand, Hill, and Battier. Plus, Maggette (F) also plays starter minutes.

Second and WRT to Tyler Thornton: what is the purpose of such negative speculation ever -- but especially before he has even played in a game? You are implying, as you well recognize, that he made a mistake coming to Duke. Well he was the DC-area POY last year. Maybe, just maybe he will be a really good player at Duke, and maybe even this year.

sagegrouse
    I couldn't agree more with your points about Duke's forwards and Tyler Thornton. It amazes me how quickly people forget that Duke has produced some outstanding forwards throughout the years. Most of which have gone on to have (or are currently having) very successful NBA careers.

IMHO Tyler Thornton is going to be a Sean Dockery type, but with an upgraded offensive game. He's a player that brings a blue collar, nose to the grind stone, "glue-guy" quality to the floor that all successful Duke teams of the past have had. There is certainly room for a guy like that on any Blue Devil roster.

With that said, I'm happy to see Quinn Cook joining the Duke program. You can never have enough weapons in the backcourt, and Coach K will find a way to make it all work. At this point, the biggest question I have is...what is to become of the Tyler Adams scholly? Will recruiting efforts step up with someone like Amir Williams? Will a de-commitment situation present itself? Only time will tell, but I'll be obsessively searching Duke Websites for information until it happens.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Moreover, of the 12 Duke players in the NBA, the seven who start are all forwards -- Deng, Boozer, McBob, Dunleavy, Brand, Hill, and Battier. Plus, Maggette (F) also plays starter minutes.
    Duke has 13 players in the NBA this year. Also, Shelden Williams is starting for the Nuggets.

In addition to the nine guys mentioned above, Duke has Redick, Duhon, Dahntay Jones and Henderson.
    Last edited by gam7; 11-07-2010 at 12:18 AM.

Count me as one who doesn't see Quinn Cook's commitment automatically relegating Ty Thornton (or Andre Dawkins, as that ludicrous ESPN article suggests) to the bench. If they're good enough, they'll play. Coach K has said Ty should have a role THIS year, so I see no reason why he won't fit in next year. Heck, he could even start- with Quinn a freshman and Curry not a sure thing at the point. It's not out of the realm of possibility, at least.