Iron Duke ACC Tourney Level Donation Hike

For those of you who are Iron Duke contributors, I trust that you have received the notice from Jack Winters that the donation levels will be increased by 50% from last year's amount. Specifically, donors will be asked to contribute $15,000 per pair of tickets instead of $10,000.

Jack justifies this increase due to all ACC schools now getting a full and equal allocation of tickets in the "smallest venue to host the tournament in three decades." However, the venue size is only 2000 seats smaller than Tampa, and about 1600 seats smaller than DC's MCI Center. Divided over 12 schools, the marginal increase in donor levels does not come close to the marginal cost of lost revenue in lost seats.

Basically, the (estimated) math looks like this: Tampa '07 Duke allocation (20,500/12 schools) - about 1708 seats. Charlotte '08 allocation (18,500/12 schools) - about 1541 seats. If we assume that Duke had a larger allocation in Tampa than expansion schools, and got an additional 192 seats, the Donor shortfall would come out to about $3.6 Million. Spread over the '08 allocation, this should account for an increase of only $2,350 per donor, a far cry from the $5,000 increase asked for in Jack's letter. Now the question here is, where is the $4 million in additional cash expected to be spent? What other non-men's basketball activity (and many examples here definitely come to mind) is it subsidizing?

When Duke and UNC initially voted against ACC expansion, it was primarily because they anticipated that basketball supporters would suffer as a result. It was argued by the other schools that the additional revenue from football would ultimately even out these inequities. Four years later, it's pretty clear that even Duke is prepared not to protect its donors, but actually ask them to pay for a poor decision that ultimately dilutes the quality of basketball that our conference produces, and further inhibits our football program from emerging from its doldrums.

Now, I am sure that many Iron Dukes still read this board. Before the pledge cards are sent out in July, are there any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by rrrango View Post
    ... If we assume that Duke had a larger allocation in Tampa than expansion schools, and got an additional 192 seats, the Donor shortfall would come out to about $3.6 Million. Spread over the '08 allocation, this should account for an increase of only $2,350 per donor, a far cry from the $5,000 increase asked for in Jack's letter. Now the question here is, where is the $4 million in additional cash expected to be spent? What other non-men's basketball activity (and many examples here definitely come to mind) is it subsidizing?

Now, I am sure that many Iron Dukes still read this board. Before the pledge cards are sent out in July, are there any thoughts?

I assume the Iron Dukes are making allowances for the likelihood that some $10k annual donors will simply decline to pay the additional $5k and relinquish the right to buy ACC Tourney tickets through Duke. I'll probably be among those, because ACC Tourney tickets can easily be obtained elsewhere for less than $5000.

Yeah. It's a LOT cheaper just to buy tournament tickets from scalpers.

When Duke and UNC initially voted against ACC expansion, it was primarily because they anticipated that basketball supporters would suffer as a result. It was argued by the other schools that the additional revenue from football would ultimately even out these inequities. Four years later, it's pretty clear that even Duke is prepared not to protect its donors, but actually ask them to pay for a poor decision that ultimately dilutes the quality of basketball that our conference produces, and further inhibits our football program from emerging from its doldrums.
    Not sure if I can agree with the "diluting the quality of basketball" part. Va Tech and BC both made the tourney last year and BC did 2 years ago as well, and made the ACC title game that year.

I was never for expansion, but it seems to be working out alright so far, from a pure quality of athletics standpoint. What I hate the most is that VaTech/Miami football are mostly a collection of felons and the BC bball team isn't much better. The integrity of the programs in the ACC was always something to take pride in.

I also miss playing State twice a year...Juuuuuuuuuuuuuulius

This is classic supply and demand. I assume that some donors will opt NOT to boost their contribution to $15,000. Some of them may even drop below $10,000 (stadium level is $6,000, however, dropping to that level might result in unfavorable seat changes). Others may decide this is a good year to trade up--just as 2000-2001 was when they scaled the house.