ESPN The Magazine - Nov. 15th Issue - Duke Cover Story

Kyrie, Kyle and Nolan grace the cover of the latest issue of ESPN The Magazine - the college basketball tipoff issue. I don't have insider access, but from the opening paragraphs, it appears the feature story is about Duke's focus on communication and Coach K's style in teaching it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Singler is IRON

I STILL GOT IT! -- Ryan Kelly, March 2, 2013

Quote Originally Posted by mr. synellinden View Post
    Kyrie, Kyle and Nolan grace the cover of the latest issue of ESPN The Magazine - the college basketball tipoff issue. I don't have insider access, but from the opening paragraphs, it appears the feature story is about Duke's focus on communication and Coach K's style in teaching it.
    Yep, that's the focus. Some of it devolves into the purple prose that typifies that magazine, but as a Duke fan it's a great read.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. synellinden View Post
    LOL!!! Omg thanks for posting that. I have insider access and there is a video with the article and I was laughing the whole time. KI, Nolan, and Kyle were given walkie talkies and to pretend that was there communication for on court. O man I cant do that video justice though, just take my word for it cause it was entertaining and if you have insider then you should deff. watch it.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke: A Dynasty View Post
    LOL!!! Omg thanks for posting that. I have insider access and there is a video with the article and I was laughing the whole time. KI, Nolan, and Kyle were given walkie talkies and to pretend that was there communication for on court. O man I cant do that video justice though, just take my word for it cause it was entertaining and if you have insider then you should deff. watch it.
    The "Motormouths" theme is also a double-entendre designed to catch the attention of haters who whine about Duke players talking smack.

That is a terribly scary photo that reminds me vaguely of the movie "The Mummy."

Quote Originally Posted by CEF1959 View Post
    ...to catch the attention of haters who whine about Duke players talking smack.
    I've heard all kind of ridiculous hatred, but this is one I haven't heard. Are Duke players known, rightfully or otherwise, for talking smack?

Sure we've had a few smacktalkers, Dahntay, Laettner (redick and mcbob to a lesser degree) but this isn't something I've heard generalized like "duke gets all the calls." Maybe I'm just tuning them out...

Very good read and interesting how it states that Kyle, because of his personality, has had a lot of trouble embracing Duke's "loud" communication methods. So much so that Coach K has had to send him written letters of encouragement to try to embrace a role that he is not all that comfortable with. From the video, I'd say it has been working pretty well.

looks scary, specifically nolan and kyle.

Quote Originally Posted by silkyj
    Sure we've had a few smacktalkers, Dahntay, Laettner (redick and mcbob to a lesser degree) but this isn't something I've heard generalized like "duke gets all the calls." Maybe I'm just tuning them out...
    I wouldn't necessarily say J.J. talked "to a lesser degree" than Dahntay (or even Laettner). Christian's obviously in his own league in terms of the success with which he was able follow his jawing, but in '05, perhaps only Reggie Miller (KG wasn't quite yet the impossibly obnoxious Celt he'd become and 'Sheed's Pacific Northwest days were longer gone than Joe Forte) expressed orally in greater detail his greatness to the basketball world. And only Peyton Manning and every official in the NFL signaled more TDs.

Like the bipedal humanoid claimed to inhabit Northern Hemisphere forests and Deion Sanders, J.J.'s performance was absolutely fueled by his prime time bravado. Watching Redick hop and bounce and dance in high, springing steps down the court after a nylon-drenching 30-footer was pretty much the best thing there was. Plainly put.

As for ESPN's Duke cover piece, it's nice that we're back on the national covers. My Duke pub wall shrine has been estranged since "Can Anyone Stop Duke" six autumns ago. I hate the Mag (cancelled it about six years back after it had morphed into complete XXL inanity), but can rep it when my Devils are on the cover. I will be picking up one tomorrow at lunch.
    Last edited by Cameron; 11-03-2010 at 10:08 PM.

Oh wow that is one scary cover. Nolan is so painfully obviously shopped, and Kyle looks like one of the zombie-things from I Am Legend. Kyrie is the only one who looks normal.

Quote Originally Posted by Spy View Post
    Oh wow that is one scary cover. Nolan is so painfully obviously shopped, and Kyle looks like one of the zombie-things from I Am Legend. Kyrie is the only one who looks normal.
    So we have the Mummy vs. I Am Legend. Any other takers?

i can't wait to frame this sucker for my living room. classssssic.

Yes yes yes... totally I Am Legend.

I am glad...

Quote Originally Posted by dukegirlinsc View Post
    i can't wait to frame this sucker for my living room. classssssic.
    That I am not the only one that has a whole living room dedicated to Duke, I was starting to scare myself...

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    "Yeah they definitely did a little photo-shop with the picture, made our faces...mine was a perfect big circle, which was pretty interesting," Smith chuckled. "I'm just excited and blessed to be on the cover of a magazine so it's all good."
    I even heard someone in the press room say on Thursday night that Singler's face looks like the mask from the movie Scream.
    http://www.wralsportsfan.com/voices/...ost_id_8575799
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."