18. The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938)
    19. Goldfinger
    20. Kill Bill- Volume 1
    21. Spider-man 2
    22. Predator
    23. Drunken Master II
    24. Lethal Weapon
    25. The Incredibles

I need to think about it a little while, but at first blush there is a lot to like about this list. Seems fairly solid.

-Jason "I love that they picked some sequels over originals-- sometimes the sequel is better" Evans

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    EW just released their list.

1. Die Hard
    2. Aliens
    3. Raiders of the Lost Arc
    4. The Road Warrior
    5. The Matrix
    6. Seven Samurai
    7. Gladiator
    8. Saving Private Ryan
    9. Hard-Boiled
    10. Terminator 2: Judgement Day
    11. Speed
    12. The Empire Strikes Back
    13. The Wild Bunch
    14. RoboCop
    15. Enter the Dragon
    16. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
    17. The Bourne Supremacy
    18. The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938)
    19. Goldfinger
    20. Kill Bill- Volume 1
    21. Spider-man 2
    22. Predator
    23. Drunken Master II
    24. Lethal Weapon
    25. The Incredibles

I need to think about it a little while, but at first blush there is a lot to like about this list. Seems fairly solid.

-Jason "I love that they picked some sequels over originals-- sometimes the sequel is better" Evans
    How do you include Saving Private Ryan in that list? That seems totally wrong. Too many lighthearted spoof-type movies in there.

Top Gun wuz robbed.

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    Top Gun wuz robbed.
    Top Gun was an action movie?

What constitutes action? Judging by the standard that EW appears to have set with that list, I would think Lord of the Rings should definetely be in there...

Spielberg and James Cameron are both on the list twice... anyone else make it multiple times?

-Jason "I am not sure about Die Hard at #1-- I think Raiders might be the #1 action movie ever" Evans

Quote Originally Posted by Dukerati View Post
    What constitutes action? Judging by the standard that EW appears to have set with that list, I would think Lord of the Rings should definetely be in there...
    Which one? I think Two Towers was the best of the 3, the Return, and then Fellowship.

What would you drop to include rings?

Personally, I think Braveheart should be on the list too. I certainly liked it a lot more than I liked Gladiator.

-Jason "I'd move Matrix up too-- right after Raiders at the top of the list" Evans

No "Last Boy Scout?"

I mean, when you have a movie that (1) kicks off with a pro running back shooting a linebacker on his way to a touchdown, followed by him celebriting the touchdown by offing himself, then (2) finishes off with a guy getting shot, falling from a light fixture and through helicopter blades in front of 75,000 onlookers at a pro-football game, that has to make the list, right?

Plus you have action stalwart Bruce Willis buddied up with comedian who is passable as action hero, Damon Wayans. Directed by Tony Scott, written by Shane Black. I mean, isn't that the exact formula for success. Not to mention a young Halle Berry and Taylor Negron as a ridiculously over the top bad guy. Sports, evil politicians, betrayal, children in danger... I mean, wow...

"Touch me again and I'll kill ya". I mean this is action movie GOLD I tell you. GOLD!

In all seriousness, I'm only slightly kidding. One of the most rewatchable movies of the early nineties.

Quote Originally Posted by A-Tex Devil View Post
    No "Last Boy Scout?"

I mean, when you have a movie that (1) kicks off with a pro running back shooting a linebacker on his way to a touchdown, followed by him celebriting the touchdown by offing himself, then (2) finishes off with a guy getting shot, falling from a light fixture and through helicopter blades in front of 75,000 onlookers at a pro-football game, that has to make the list, right?

Plus you have action stalwart Bruce Willis buddied up with comedian who is passable as action hero, Damon Wayans. Directed by Tony Scott, written by Shane Black. I mean, isn't that the exact formula for success. Not to mention a young Halle Berry and Taylor Negron as a ridiculously over the top bad guy. Sports, evil politicians, betrayal, children in danger... I mean, wow...

"Touch me again and I'll kill ya". I mean this is action movie GOLD I tell you. GOLD!

In all seriousness, I'm only slightly kidding. One of the most rewatchable movies of the early nineties.
    And it had Chelcie Ross, the king of supporting roles in sports-related movies. He also played Coach Dan Devine in Rudy, Eddie Harris (the aging junkballer who puts snot on the ball) in Major League, and George (the guy who tried to get Coach Dale fired) in Hoosiers.

And a lot of these don't really seem like action movies, or action isn't their primary genre. I'd remove anything from that list that was primarily:

(1) a war movie (like Saving Private Ryan)
    (2) a more or less historically accurate period piece (like Braveheart, but not Gladiator)
    (3) a fantasy movie or cartoon (like the incredibles)
    (5) a Western (like the Wild Bunch)
    (4) sci-fi and set in the future or galaxy far far away (allowing Terminator and Predator to stay), unless said future was post-apocalyptic and not all high tech (allowing Road Warrior to stay, but removing the Matrix, which is, of course, an all time great SCI-FI movie).

Totally arbitrary, of course.

An action list without Stallone?

John Rambo could take out any action hero on this list. If most of them formed a team they would still have a tough time bringing him down. EW should be concerned for their safety for not including him.

If you haven't seen the trailer yet for the 4th Rambo it is packed with the ultra-violence
    [Warning: the trailer is graphic. NOT for the faint of heart. It also disappears a lot but always comes back on YouTube if it's gone from the link just search for it. It's 3:30 long.]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=md82t...elated&search=

When you're pushed killing is as easy as breathing

Would '300' count as action?

If so, it might be the most unusual.

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post

But, in my opinion, it wouldn't belong on the list because it's just not that good of a movie.

I think that it's amazing that they didn't include Rambo, as was previously mentioned. There are also several movies that I like personally better than ones which made the list, but without knowing the criteria it's hard to judge the quality of the list.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Which one? I think Two Towers was the best of the 3, the Return, and then Fellowship.

What would you drop to include rings?

Personally, I think Braveheart should be on the list too. I certainly liked it a lot more than I liked Gladiator.

-Jason "I'd move Matrix up too-- right after Raiders at the top of the list" Evans
    I am conflicted about which one I would put on the list. I think the Return was the best movie out of the three but the Two Towers was probably the best action movie (solely because of the goosebump-inducing last battle scene). Braveheart should obviously be in that list and its a glaring omission if you ask me.

As for movies I would drop, Bourne Supremacy and Drunken Master II are curious choices that I would drop instantly. I'm not overly wild about Speed and Robocop either.

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post

If you wanted to put in 300, Sin City would probably get the nod before it as the pioneering movie that started the whole "genre". It also had a better plot and stronger cast in my opinion...

Quote Originally Posted by Dukerati View Post
    I am conflicted about which one I would put on the list. I think the Return was the best movie out of the three but the Two Towers was probably the best action movie (solely because of the goosebump-inducing last battle scene). Braveheart should obviously be in that list and its a glaring omission if you ask me.

As for movies I would drop, Bourne Supremacy and Drunken Master II are curious choices that I would drop instantly. I'm not overly wild about Speed and Robocop either.
    I'm guessing that the list is largely generated based upon impact at the time that the movies were released (or at least how the movie moved the genre forward). That's the only way that Robocop makes it, in my opinion, as I find it painful to watch it these days. Special effects have come a long way, and the story was fairly generic (once you get past the Robocop thing).