Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

MBB: Duke vs. Cal Poly Pomona Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

Tomorrow (Thursday) night the Devils take on the defending Division II champs. Should be a better test than the last exhibition. Post your pre-game and in-game thoughts here.

Should be a battle of styles. Most of their games last year were inthe high 60's, low 70's.

Cal Poly Pomona lost its top scorer who averaged 13.3 PPG but returns the next four who were all in the 8-9+ range. They have a little more size than the typical Div II or mid major with one guy 6'9"' 240 # 24 Jahn and the other 6'6" 245 # 31 Fells

http://www.broncoathletics.com/roster.aspx?path=mbball

Are we expecting an Irving, Smith, Singler, Plum and Plum starting lineup? Or do things get shaken up?

Anyone got any news on how practices have been going that should shed light on the exhibitions?

it's about reps and minutes

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    Are we expecting an Irving, Smith, Singler, Plum and Plum starting lineup? Or do things get shaken up?

Anyone got any news on how practices have been going that should shed light on the exhibitions?
    I have no information on the starting line-up, but, I hope to see a bunch of potential line-ups for the upcoming season. Who starts the game is less important to me than who plays major minutes, who steps up, and who will Coach K go to in important spots.

Key questions for this game:
    1) How will the frontline look against an opponent that is bigger than St. Augs.
    2) Will Kyrie continue to show maturity and grow from his mistakes?
    3) Can this team show improvement in free-throw shooting

Quote Originally Posted by timmy c View Post
    Who starts the game is less important to me than who plays major minutes, who steps up, and who will Coach K go to in important spots.
    This is an exhibition game against a Division II team (albeit a good DII team). Do you honestly think there will be any "important spots"?

tie game, 59-59 with 0:17 on the clock

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    This is an exhibition game against a Division II team (albeit a good DII team). Do you honestly think there will be any "important spots"?
    Duke to inbound the ball...
    just imagine the importance of that play.
    Oh wait, this is pre-season exhibition? Well, then I'd be interested in seeing which combinations K uses and which ones get the most minutes. Hopefully the D-II champs will be able to push our boys a little bit and get them prepared for the beginning of the season. I don't see any "important minutes" in this game.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    Hopefully the D-II champs will be able to push our boys a little bit .
    not sure how you define push?

maybe closer than say...32?

nah...doubtful
    April 1

important spots

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    If this exhibition game doesn't have at least several important spots, why play it all? Important spots happen in every game no matter who the competition is. I am looking forward to seeing who is successful in the sets that Coach K calls.

Talking Ex-hi-bi-tion

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post

This is not a real game. This is not a real game. I expect that the substitutions are already on paper to ensure that the main players get about 20 minutes each. And that the players (and coaches) get to experiment with different lineups.

Last year Syracuse lost to the crosstown Division II LeMoyne Dolphins in just such an exhibition. Holy Toledo! The 'Cuse really stink! Well, it was one the 'Cuse's better seasons in the past decade. The after story is that zone-lovin' Jim Boeheim played a man-to-man defense the entire game, even at crunch time. Then, according to Orange players, never played it again the rest of the season.

And,... guess what? The two teams play again on November 9.

sagegrouse

Just maybe

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    This is not a real game. This is not a real game. I expect that the substitutions are already on paper to ensure that the main players get about 20 minutes each. And that the players (and coaches) get to experiment with different lineups.

Last year Syracuse lost to the crosstown Division II LeMoyne Dolphins in just such an exhibition. Holy Toledo! The 'Cuse really stink! Well, it was one the 'Cuse's better seasons in the past decade. The after story is that zone-lovin' Jim Boeheim played a man-to-man defense the entire game, even at crunch time. Then, according to Orange players, never played it again the rest of the season.

And,... guess what? The two teams play again on November 9.

sagegrouse
    Maybe Coach K will play a zone the whole game.

Nah!

by push I mean

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    not sure how you define push?

maybe closer than say...32?

nah...doubtful
    that they make our guys play closer to the level that they'll have to play at in DI games. The score isn't really of any importance, but the effort and focus necessary to execute K's plan is.

How would a top-ranked D2 team compare to weaker Division 1 teams? I assume that if Cal Poly Pomona is a top 5 ranked Division 2 team, that they would be able to beat some Division 1 teams. I wonder how many, or at what level they would be able to compete? Is it reasonable to think this would be similar to Duke playing a weaker Division 1 team? I don't know if anyone has any answers, but I thought it might be an interesting question.
    “Those two kids, they’re champions,” Krzyzewski said of his senior leaders. “They’re trying to teach the other kids how to become that, and it’s a long road to become that.”

Quote Originally Posted by NSDukeFan View Post
    How would a top-ranked D2 team compare to weaker Division 1 teams? I assume that if Cal Poly Pomona is a top 5 ranked Division 2 team, that they would be able to beat some Division 1 teams. I wonder how many, or at what level they would be able to compete? Is it reasonable to think this would be similar to Duke playing a weaker Division 1 team? I don't know if anyone has any answers, but I thought it might be an interesting question.
    I don't know exactly who they have brought back, but they have a consistent top program in their division. I assume that means they are well-coached and talented. That's more than you can say for every D-1 team -- just because you have a larger school doesn't mean you're competitive in every sport.

DII vs DI

It seems like every year there is some DI school that schedules a DII school b/c they think it'll be an easy win, cuz usually they are, and loses. Perhaps it happens multiple times in any season, but still it's not common. Wasn't there an ACC team that scheduled a DII team last year and just barely won?

Here's a preview of the game from DukeBlueNV on my site:

http://www.dukehoopblog.com/2010/11/...urs-7-pm-home/

For comparative purposes, here's a link to a recent FSU exhibition game with a solid (not top-5, but preseason #17) D II team in Fla. 'Noles won easily, but not overwhelmingly, seem to have used 10 guys each 20 min +/-. Shot lots of 3s, Singleton best game.

http://www.seminoles.com/auto_pdf/p_...lins-box-score

Ummm Duke always has competed with D2 Champions in the past, in face this is 3 of the last 4 years, right? I remember playing Belmont the year after they shocked winona state in the D2 finals.
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est

Talking Div I vs. Div II

Here's a precise non-answer: There are 346 Div I basketball schools in 32 conferences. There are 22 Div II basketball conferences plus 20 independents totalling, I guess, around 200 schools. I believe that the quality of the programs is a continuum and that there is bound to be overlap among the weakest 50 Div I schools and the strongest 50 Div II programs. I do not think that the scholarship differences (13 vs. 10) create that big a gulf between I and II.

sagegrouse

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Here's a precise non-answer: There are 346 Div I basketball schools in 32 conferences. There are 22 Div II basketball conferences plus 20 independents totalling, I guess, around 200 schools. I believe that the quality of the programs is a continuum and that there is bound to be overlap among the weakest 50 Div I schools and the strongest 50 Div II programs. I do not think that the scholarship differences (13 vs. 10) create that big a gulf between I and II.

sagegrouse
    Good post, Sage. I wonder too if many players would prefer to "play D-1" even if it's for a poorer-quality Coach in a poorer-quality program just for the glamour of "being a D-1 athlete?" I wonder if D-2 programs lose kids that would otherwise have fit very well into the program if not for the simple fact that it is a D-2 or even D-1AA program? I suppose that it's impossible to quantify, but I would imagine there are a multitude of quality, conscientious, and dedicated D-2 coaches running top-notch programs that would scare the bejesus out of a lot of lower-tier D-1 programs.

Pack the Gym Night

I mean no disrespect to Coach Kamansky or his team (reigning national champs themselves) but this is pretty funny. Cal Poly Pomona against San Bernardino on CPP's "Pack the Gym Night" last spring:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLK6tA8h93M