Does anyone know whether our staff does the type of statistical analysis of opponents that Michael Lewis described in that incredible Battier article from a couple of years ago? If not, I think it would be an incredibly valuable exercise for someone with the time and inclination to work on. Specifically, what I have in mind is an extremely detailed shot chart and related statistics that break down not only where on the floor shots were taken by a particular opponent but also whether shots were set shots vs. Off-the-bounce; challenged vs. Not challenged etc.

There are some challenges to compiling these stats on college players compared to NBA guys. First, there are fewer games in a season for which stats can be compiled. Second, college games are shorter than NBA games. Third, the college shot clock is longer than the NBA shot clock. Fourth, college careers are short, so you just wouldn't have the raw data available that you would have for a 10-year NBA vet.

Having said all of that, I think we could draw some conclusions on how to make the stars on certain teams less efficient by breaking down stats at a micro-level.