Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Duke Student Passes Away

Last night Duke Basketball lost one of its biggest fans.

Drew Everson, a senior in Trinity and a Line Monitor since his junior year, passed away last night after suffering from severe head trauma. Those of you who have been attending games the last few years would recognize Drew as the "Viking boy" - a sacred look he took as his own.

I've known Drew since his freshman year and he was a uniquely gifted and well rounded person. In addition to serving as a Line Monitor Drew was a member of Pi Kappa Phi, a championship debater in high school and college, a columnist for the Chronicle, and a performer in the sketch comedy group "Inside Joke." Drew spent this past summer working for Goldman Sachs and was planning on pursuing a career in investment banking after graduation.

I don't know all the medical details but it appears to have been a freak accident and no foul play is suspected. The Chronicle should have information tomorrow. A memorial service has been scheduled Wednesday at noon.

I've attached a pair of photos with Drew (in Viking helmet of course) and some friends in Indianapolis. We'll have someone special watching our guys all the way to Houston this year.

Quote Originally Posted by VaDukie View Post

Drew Everson, a senior in Trinity and a Line Monitor since his junior year, passed away last night after suffering from severe head trauma. Those of you who have been attending games the last few years would recognize Drew as the "Viking boy" - a sacred look he took as his own.

I've known Drew since his freshman year and he was a uniquely gifted and well rounded person. In addition to serving as a Line Monitor Drew was a member of Pi Kappa Phi, a championship debater in high school and college, a columnist for the Chronicle, and a performer in the sketch comedy group "Inside Joke." Drew spent this past summer working for Goldman Sachs and was planning on pursuing a career in investment banking after graduation.

I don't know all the medical details but it appears to have been a freak accident and no foul play is suspected. The Chronicle should have information tomorrow. A memorial service has been scheduled Wednesday at noon.

I've attached a pair of photos with Drew (in Viking helmet of course) and some friends in Indianapolis. We'll have someone special watching our guys all the way to Houston this year.
    Our thoughts and prayers go out to his family. Looks like he lived life with gusto and will be missed.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Thoughts to you VaDukie, and of course his family and friends. Thanks for sharing the news with us, very sorry for your loss.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

How awful to think of such a young life being taken so suddenly. My regards to his family and all who knew him.

Sorry for your loss to all who are effected.

Quote Originally Posted by VaDukie View Post

(...)

We'll have someone special watching our guys all the way to Houston this year.
    Anybody who knew Drew knew that he was a great person. Duke basketball, along with many other things, will not be the same without him.

A friend just sent this my way. Drew (white shirt) on ESPNU debating who has the better football program: Duke or Wake. Drew's segment starts at 1:30.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kH-V...er_profilepage

This is incredibly sad. My thoughts are with his friends and family.

Sorry to hear it. The last UNC/Duke game he saw was a 82-50 blow out. He went out on top.

My condolences to those who knew him. It is always hard when someone dies this young. I wish his loved ones all the best in their hour of greif.

I send my prayers to Drew's family and friends. While I did not know Drew, losing a fellow Crazie who loved Duke as much as he did really feels like you've lost someone you know.

I say we give Drew a big shout-out at the rest of our home games this year.

Oh, how sad.

I assume Drew was the "faux viking guy" from last year's thread?
    http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/...ghlight=viking

My condolences and prayers out to his family and friends.

Very tragic. My condolences to all his family and friends.

I had the pleasure of meeting Drew a few times when I was down for basketball games the past couple of seasons. He definitely was a nice guy and certainly gave his all in supporting our Blue Devils. My condolences to his family and friends.
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

Real shame, looked like a nice kid. Rest in peace.

Sad news...

...my thoughts & prayers are with his family, friends, classmates, & fellow fans. The loss of one so young & bright is very sad indeed. Rest in Peace Drew.
    -Son of Jarhead

The Duke fan formerly known as BuschDevil

My condolences and prayers to his family and friends.

Just wanted to add my condolences and best wishes to friends and family.

From today's Chronicle

What a tragedy to lose such a promising young man. Condolences to his family and friends.

This is a tragedy for so many, especially for Drew's family and friends. My thoughts and prayers are with them.