Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Austin Rivers going with 0

Sorry if already posted but here are a couple of interesting tweets from Austin:

"I wanted to wear the family number 25, but it's retired at duke! So I went with 0, 1 is still a possibility but that all depends on Kyrie!"

and

"1 is a slim possibility tho"

Let the speculation begin before the season does.

Here's a link for anyone wanting to see the source material.

He also says:
    I'm wearing #0 cause once i get to college everything that i have done doesn't matter, It's a fresh start back to ground ZERO! Must destroy!

Quote Originally Posted by juise View Post
    Here's a link for anyone wanting to see the source material.

He also says:
    The new Agent ZERO. That would be incredible if they really want to play together this year. Maybe Singler and Smith will rub off on Kyrie. Both of them could have gone to the NBA last year but decided to stay one extra year and get better.
    The Terrapin Assassin

In a previous article or twitter post Kyrie had said he would stay if Rivers came to Duke. Hopefully this stays true

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedevil114 View Post
    The new Agent ZERO. That would be incredible if they really want to play together this year. Maybe Singler and Smith will rub off on Kyrie. Both of them could have gone to the NBA last year but decided to stay one extra year and get better.
    ah...please no reference to Agent ZERO...

We have to come up with a new nickname if he goes with 0.

I'm guessing K has approved of this? In previous interviews, K has said that he likely would never allow anyone to wear #0 but I'm sure Austin has already informed him of his plans.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedevil114 View Post
    That would be incredible if they really want to play together this year. Maybe Singler and Smith will rub off on Kyrie. Both of them could have gone to the NBA last year but decided to stay one extra year and get better.
    I'm hoping for an NBA lockout and no draft next spring.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    I'm hoping for an NBA lockout and no draft next spring.
    I hope that doesn't happen for Kyle and Nolan. Those guys deserve to start their careers after four years with us. I just hope Kyrie wants to stay and play with Austin. He won't be the next Jay Bilas like he wants with one year of school.

KI
    Rivers
    Curry
    Plum
    Plum

That would be ridiculous talent...

Quote Originally Posted by Gthoma2a View Post
    I hope that doesn't happen for Kyle and Nolan. Those guys deserve to start their careers after four years with us. I just hope Kyrie wants to stay and play with Austin. He won't be the next Jay Bilas like he wants with one year of school.
    Kyrie wants to be the next Jay Bilas?

Quote Originally Posted by El_Diablo View Post
    Your DBR name has given me inspiration... If Austin goes with the number 0, we shall call him...

DIABLO ZERO

his shot attempts should be called "none chucks".

his box score stats should be "the nil set".

nilicious

zeroic.

the filthy zilch.

if diablo zero, it would probably have to be diablo cero, to keep the language consistent but i like it.

Quote Originally Posted by ElSid View Post

nilicious

zeroic.

the filthy zilch.

if diablo zero, it would probably have to be diablo cero, to keep the language consistent but i like it.
    Oh, my man, that is the definition of beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by ElSid View Post

nilicious

zeroic.

the filthy zilch.

Love it

Art Heyman

If I were Art Heyman and a young man of River's stature asked politely for the honor of using my retired jersey number, I would certainly give it serious consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by Cockabeau View Post
    KI
    Rivers
    Curry
    Plum
    Plum

That would be ridiculous talent...
    Yeah, so much more talent than: KI, Curry, Plum, Plum, Nolan, Kyle...

Quote Originally Posted by El_Diablo View Post

It is a couple minutes in. He really has the charisma to do broadcast journalism after his playing career IMO.

IMHO, I don't think we should put a whole lot of weight in the "he'll stay another year to play with so and so" argument, except maybe in unusual circumstances like the Plumbros. Fans (myself included) get excited when guys say things like that, but as much as we'd like to believe otherwise, in the final analysis of whether someone is going to leave college early for the NBA, I think it's almost entirely a financial decision.

I do think that the opportunity to win a national championship is somewhat of a pull for a lot of guys, but the opportunity to play with a particular incoming freshman is not.

Quote Originally Posted by gam7 View Post
    IMHO, I don't think we should put a whole lot of weight in the "he'll stay another year to play with so and so" argument, except maybe in unusual circumstances like the Plumbros. Fans (myself included) get excited when guys say things like that, but as much as we'd like to believe otherwise, in the final analysis of whether someone is going to leave college early for the NBA, I think it's almost entirely a financial decision.

I do think that the opportunity to win a national championship is somewhat of a pull for a lot of guys, but the opportunity to play with a particular incoming freshman is not.
    I think Kyrie wants to do things at Duke beyond one year. I also think that he wants to get enough education to be taken seriously as a potential broadcast journalist. Jay Williams' career didn't go as planned, but he had the education and knowledge of the game that allowed him to still have a career in the sport he loved. I think that could mean something to Kyrie. Kyrie is very level headed. I could be wrong and support him either way, but I see him staying more than a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Gthoma2a View Post
    I think Kyrie wants to do things at Duke beyond one year. I also think that he wants to get enough education to be taken seriously as a potential broadcast journalist. Jay Williams' career didn't go as planned, but he had the education and knowledge of the game that allowed him to still have a career in the sport he loved. I think that could mean something to Kyrie. Kyrie is very level headed. I could be wrong and support him either way, but I see him staying more than a year.
    Of course, it is an equally level-headed decision to decide to become a top 5 draft pick and guarantee yourself millions of dollars over the next 4 years. Plus, he always has the option of working toward his degree at Duke after he leaves, so leaving early would not preclude him from continuing his education and becoming a journalist in any way. There are so many variables that could change between now and next spring when Kyrie will have to decide what to do that it is impossible to know anything that isn't completely speculative. Of course, everyone has a 50-50 chance of being right or wrong (he either stays or goes), but I just don't think we really know any thing about how things will shake out.