Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Hendo to be suspended?

It didnt look intentional to me, but cbs said it would be a suspension...
    ???

We posted at the same time. I can not believe it - it's just not right.

Wonder if it is reviewable?

well i dont understand that at all, but it must have hurt alot, he had tears in his eyes...
    should NOT be a suspension, and iirc the suspension is not issued from the game anyway; it is from the leauge office (duke-unc brawl in 03?)

Awful Call

That was an awful call. If he wanted to do it on purpose, he would have used his forearm. Now Henderson gets unfairly labeled as a thug for his career.

i liked the way all our asst coaches went to the locker room with gerald. definitely a show of protest at the ejection by the duke coaches.

me too

Quote Originally Posted by willywoody View Post
    i liked the way all our asst coaches went to the locker room with gerald. definitely a show of protest at the ejection by the duke coaches.
    Yeah, that was great. Almost like a riding in the front of the bus kind of protest. Woohoo.

Quote Originally Posted by damskippy View Post
    Yeah, that was great. Almost like a riding in the front of the bus kind of protest. Woohoo.

maybe they should've thrown some chairs?

or they could've walked over and started banging on the scorers table?

it was a very classy move that obviously was lost on many.

does anyone remember the obvious flagrent punch tyler threw in the ncsu game and was not suspended?

Tough call

At least the announcers (packer) did a decent job describing the incident. It did not look intentional, G. was making a play on the ball. Hopefully the league will take that view when they review the tape.

Hansbrough shouldn't even have been in the game

What's he doing running up his stats up 12 with 14 seconds left. Hansbrough was banging inside with a walkon who fouled him and Henderson wasn't going to let him get another dunk. That was a complete accident and a ridiculous ruling by the officials.

They pretty much had to call a foul and Henderson has to be suspended.

For sure their was absolutely NO intent on Hendersons part.

However, it doesn't matter if he did it on purpose. Every guy is responsible for his body and when he throws a blow, even one that was a result of making a basketball play and had no intent, and it results in something like that the player is called for a foul and suspended.

Without that kind of rule, players would play with a kind of reckless abandon that results in more incidents like that one. By suspending Henderson, all players are reminded that they must play in control at all times.

I don't think that's how it works.

Quote Originally Posted by Spret42 View Post
    They pretty much had to call a foul and Henderson has to be suspended.

For sure their was absolutely NO intent on Hendersons part.

However, it doesn't matter if he did it on purpose. Every guy is responsible for his body and when he throws a blow, even one that was a result of making a basketball play and had no intent, and it results in something like that the player is called for a foul and suspended.

Without that kind of rule, players would play with a kind of reckless abandon that results in more incidents like that one. By suspending Henderson, all players are reminded that they must play in control at all times.

Players get fouls for unintentional blows, even ejections, for the very reasons you state but they rarely get suspended for those types of things unless there is evidence of malicious intent.

Thumbs down NCAA rules

Looking at the rules, it looks to me like the ruling has to be "fighting" to cause an ejection.

A single technical foul does not result in ejection. The second one does. So that can't be it.

Intentional technical fouls by the way are dead-ball only fouls (Rule 10, Sec 15) so it's not that either.

A flagrant contact technical foul (Rule 10, Sec 13, Art 3) is for "severely or excessively contacting an opponent when the ball is dead."

So that's not it. Other than fighting, that's the only contact-oriented flagrant foul rule I can find. The other flagrant foul rules are all non-contact fouls.

Ok so it's gotta be fighting. Let's look at the rules.

Section 17. Fighting
    Art. 1. Fighting, as defined in Rule 4-23, includes, but is not limited to:
    a. An attempt to strike an opponent with the arms, hands, legs or feet.
    b. An attempt to punch or kick an opponent, regardless of whether
    contact is made.
    c. An attempt to instigate a fight by committing an unsportsmanlike act toward an opponent that causes the opponent to retaliate by fighting.

As determined by the officials, fighting is a flagrant foul and can be either
    personal (during a live ball) or technical (during a dead ball).

So they've obviously ruled that he attempted to strike an opponent ... etc. Note the rule obviously requires intent. It does not allow a "hard foul" without intent to count as fighting.

Penalties (Sec 19):

Art. 2. The first time an individual participates in a fight during the season (including exhibition games), the individual shall be suspended from
    participating in the team’s next regular-season game (not an exhibition
    contest), including tournament competition.

Art. 3. When an individual participates in a second fight, that individual
    shall be suspended for the remainder of the season, including tournament
    competition.

Art. 6. Any team member or other bench personnel under suspension
    for fighting shall not be in the team’s bench area.

And most importantly:

Art. 8. After a game, conference offices or the assigning authority may correct an error in who was involved in a fight but cannot change an
    official’s ruling that a fight took place or lessen the severity of the penalty.

So G is gonna get screwed.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeUsul View Post
    So G is gonna get screwed.
    Well...I was with you all the way up until this point. How is G getting screwed? Just because, in your opinion, you don't think it was intentional?

I hope Duke blows out NCSU. Sorry Wolfpack fans...but I really want to see Duke come out with a new sense of urgency. With or without Hendo...we gotta bring it. Especially if we want to meet back up with the Tar Heels in the
    ACC Championship!! Wouldn't you love to see Hendo and Hansbrough shake hands before tipoff in that game!

Go back 6 years, remember the flack Jason Williams took after the incident in the Boston College game from some on the board? He was trying to run the clock out and the play was 30-40 feet from the basket. I agree here is to not forgeting this for the remainder of this season and on into next season.

Poor interpretation by officials

Quote Originally Posted by feldspar View Post
    Well...I was with you all the way up until this point. How is G getting screwed? Just because, in your opinion, you don't think it was intentional?
    GH gets screwed because the officials on the floor made the call that requires a 1-game suspension after a cursory review in an influential environment. Maybe it was intential, if so then call an intentional foul. I think the screwing takes place if the call a hard foul "fighting", which it clearly was not.

Quote Originally Posted by SMO View Post
    GH gets screwed because the officials on the floor made the call that requires a 1-game suspension after a cursory review in an influential environment. Maybe it was intential, if so then call an intentional foul. I think the screwing takes place if the call a hard foul "fighting", which it clearly was not.
    That is their J-O-B.

It might serve you well to take off your Duke-colored glasses and look at the replay again. It's questionable at BEST.

Quote Originally Posted by feldspar View Post
    It might serve you well to take off your Duke-colored glasses and look at the replay again. It's questionable at BEST.
    c'mon. we've all seen fighting on a basketball court, and this play was nothing close to that.