Would you pay for espn3.com access?

Had my weekly call with Time Warner to determine whether or not I would be able to watch any games on espn3.com (as a Time Warner Cable Modem user). This time, I was told that it was supposed to be active, but that ESPN was having problems with their ability to recognize valid users.

Was also told by Time Warner that in order to watch espn3.com content, I will need to be a Sports Pass Subscriber on Time Warner Cable. I confirmed with ESPN yesterday that there is no other ISP charging for access (they would not confirm whether or not TWC will actually be doing this).

ESPN Classic was pulled from my channel lineup last month and added to the Sports Pass, which is $4.95 / month.

So I guess after all this waiting, I'm going to end up as a DSL customer anyway.

10/25

Quote Originally Posted by cf-62 View Post
    Had my weekly call with Time Warner to determine whether or not I would be able to watch any games on espn3.com (as a Time Warner Cable Modem user). This time, I was told that it was supposed to be active, but that ESPN was having problems with their ability to recognize valid users.

Was also told by Time Warner that in order to watch espn3.com content, I will need to be a Sports Pass Subscriber on Time Warner Cable. I confirmed with ESPN yesterday that there is no other ISP charging for access (they would not confirm whether or not TWC will actually be doing this).

ESPN Classic was pulled from my channel lineup last month and added to the Sports Pass, which is $4.95 / month.

So I guess after all this waiting, I'm going to end up as a DSL customer anyway.
    Looks like 10/25 is the date, so no luck for this weekend's football games. This article mentions that TWC is somehow tying access to ESPN3.com to your TV package, but only in that you get ESPN, not an additional sports tier. This is different than all the ESPN3.com deals I'm aware of. Typically, you could be an Internet only customer and get it. I suppose this is a way to fend off the cord-cutters.
    "Something in my vicinity is Carolina blue and this offends me." - HPR

Not sure you'd want it if you are on DSL

I have access to ESPN3 through my ISP (AT&T/Yahoo) on a DSL line. Whenever I watch, the bandwidth overloads and the darn thing either gets poor picture quality, or goes herky-jerky, or freezes for several moments, always during game action, not when they're in the huddle. I never see the ball when it is thrown and have difficulty guessing who is catching kicks. If it weren't accessible via the ISP, I wouldn't pay extra for it. (No, it's not my computer; it's a MacBook with plenty of memory and very fast.)

In January, I'll probably change ISPs and go straight to cable. Maybe the bandwidth issue will improve.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim3k View Post
    I have access to ESPN3 through my ISP (AT&T/Yahoo) on a DSL line. Whenever I watch, the bandwidth overloads and the darn thing either gets poor picture quality, or goes herky-jerky, or freezes for several moments, always during game action, not when they're in the huddle. I never see the ball when it is thrown and have difficulty guessing who is catching kicks. If it weren't accessible via the ISP, I wouldn't pay extra for it. (No, it's not my computer; it's a MacBook with plenty of memory and very fast.)

In January, I'll probably change ISPs and go straight to cable. Maybe the bandwidth issue will improve.
    What kind of bandwidth do you have on your DSL? I have a 7Mbps DSL line from Verizon and my ESPN3 access has been pretty good.