Oliver Purnell gets James Mays back

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2...ory?id=2896747

This will help Clemson, assuming Mays did not jeopardize his academic standing in search of his NBA dream.
    Last edited by ACCBBallFan; 06-07-2007 at 07:21 PM.

I spoke to Oliver Purnell at his daughter's Boston College graduation a couple of weeks ago.

He's a very nice gentleman!

This is very big for Clemson, which will be a tough out next season. Eight of its top 9 scorers are back, including 4 starters who each averaged double figures. And Mays, though inconsistent, is their best player with elite athleticism and considerable upside. He would have been drafted in the second round this year, but if he has an All-ACC year on a good team next season, he'll be a first round pick next year.

Mays

I agree -- huge news for Clemson. Mays is the key to their extended defense -- a wonderfully agile big man.

What's interesting to me is that it gives Oliver Purnell a chance to continue his upward trajectory at Clemson -- 10 wins in 2004 (his first year there), 16 wins in 2005, 19 wins in 2006 and 25 wins in 2007.

He still hasn't gotten the Tigers in the NCAA Tournament, but this could be the year.

Now we wait on Sean Singletary, whose decision to return or not could have an equally huge impact at Virginia. I think Thaddeus Young, who is also a possible return, while he would be a welcome addition, is not as crucial to Georgia Tech's prospects.

Clemson

Tough out is right. Clemson is now solidly behind UNC (who isn't) with Duke in the ACC. Clemson will be our biggest competition for 2nd in the ACC next season.

It will be a very interesting dichotomy. Clemson will be very strong on the interior, but Duke will be very strong on the perimeter. That should be a real game.

In fact, next year, I would not be that surprised if only 3 teams from the ACC make the tourney (barring a 83 NCSU like run). At most, the league will get in only 4 teams, given the talent drain and poor showing last year.

UNC is a lock for the tourney. Duke very probably, and I would now move Clemson into that bracket also. That leaves, at most, 1 slot for the rest of the acc to fight over.

GT takes a massive step back next year after losing Crit and Young. FSU, WFU, UVA, BC, VT, and UM all lost key players or just aren't that bloody good.

NCSU and UMD will be fighting for that last potential tourney spot. It would have to be a solid 4th finish, with some separation from a very middling pack, for that 4th team to get in, along with key victories vs the top 3-5 teams in the ACC.

Patrick Yates

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Yates View Post
    Tough out is right. Clemson is now solidly behind UNC (who isn't) with Duke in the ACC. Clemson will be our biggest competition for 2nd in the ACC next season.

It will be a very interesting dichotomy. Clemson will be very strong on the interior, but Duke will be very strong on the perimeter. That should be a real game.

In fact, next year, I would not be that surprised if only 3 teams from the ACC make the tourney (barring a 83 NCSU like run). At most, the league will get in only 4 teams, given the talent drain and poor showing last year.

UNC is a lock for the tourney. Duke very probably, and I would now move Clemson into that bracket also. That leaves, at most, 1 slot for the rest of the acc to fight over.

GT takes a massive step back next year after losing Crit and Young. FSU, WFU, UVA, BC, VT, and UM all lost key players or just aren't that bloody good.

NCSU and UMD will be fighting for that last potential tourney spot. It would have to be a solid 4th finish, with some separation from a very middling pack, for that 4th team to get in, along with key victories vs the top 3-5 teams in the ACC.

Patrick Yates
    Patrick, I see the ACC as a 5-team race but would replace MD with GA Tech, along with UNC Duke, Clemson and NC State.

Despite probably losing Crittenden and Young, GA Tech gets Lewis Clinch back and has a good forward recruit coming in, as long as someone can play half decent PG for the Jackets (ditto for NC State). PG in general is not an ACC strength this year.

MD only has Gist, Osby and the two returning freshmen PGs having lost the guts of its team with Strawberry, Ibekwe, Mike Jones, the 7 footer and Parrish Brown.

Even if Singletary were to return, UVA would be more like they were his freshman and Sophomore years than last year without JR Reynolds and Jason Cain, and without the favorable ACC unbalaced schedule.

I also think you will see at least 4 ACC teams make the dance. Even if the conference is down, and it will be compared to last year, there will be at least 4 ACC teams that finish above .500 in the conference and make the NCAAs. We are talking about a conference with 12 teams. 4 will go-- even if the leageu is down from where it has been in recent seasons.

In addition to UNC, Duke, Clemson, Ga Tech, and NC State, another team to watch out for is FSU. They lose Thornton, which is a huge loss, but everyone else is back. They add some pretty decent recruits up front too with 7-1 center Solomon Alabi, who will have an impact from day one on the defensive side of the floor, and 6-9 Julian Vaughn.

And I won't be totally shocked if Va Tech surprises some folks. I expect Deron Washington to have a break out year with the ball in his hands a lot more now that Gordon and Dowdell have graduated. They also bring in 4 pretty good recruits. I am not sure which of them will step up and prove to be a real player, but odds are pretty decent at least one of them will.

Some team will surprise too-- not sure who it will be. Maybe Va Tech will be it. I need to study the schedule to figure out someone who has a really favoriable sked, the way UVA did this past season. But, makr my words, someone we do not expect to be good will be in the running for an NCAA bid.

-Jason "I know Maryland loses a lot, but they seem to be in the mix every year" Evans