Tracy Smith

2nd Team:
    Kyrie Irving
    Durand Scott
    Chris Singleton
    John Henson
    Jordan Williams

What do you think?
    I'd drop Barnes to the 2nd team because I dont bet on freshmen making the 1st team. Who has recently? Hansborough? There is enough depth, talent and ego in Chapel Hill for Barnes to be good but not 1st team.

Quote Originally Posted by airowe View Post
    1st Team:
    Nolan Smith
    Malcolm Delaney
    Harrison Barnes
    Kyle Singler
    Tracy Smith

2nd Team:
    Kyrie Irving
    Durand Scott
    Chris Singleton
    John Henson
    Jordan Williams

What do you think?
    Looks good. I might put Dorenzo Hudson on 2nd team in place of Henson.

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    I'd drop Barnes to the 2nd team because I dont bet on freshmen making the 1st team. Who has recently? Hansborough? There is enough depth, talent and ego in Chapel Hill for Barnes to be good but not 1st team.
    There really isn't that much talent in Chapel Hill. There's enough, but Barnes will still have to log heavy minutes and take a lot of shots.

Besides, who else is going to fill the designated UNC slot on the All-ACC team? Got to have Barnes ahead of Zeller and Henson.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Frosh View Post
    Looks good. I might put Dorenzo Hudson on 2nd team in place of Henson.

And switch Barnes with Jordan Williams

Quote Originally Posted by airowe View Post
    1st Team:
    Nolan Smith
    Malcolm Delaney
    Harrison Barnes
    Kyle Singler
    Tracy Smith

2nd Team:
    Kyrie Irving
    Durand Scott
    Chris Singleton
    John Henson
    Jordan Williams

What do you think?
    Completely agree with 1st team. Those 5 are the most likely. Barnes will be 1st team - he really is that good (and that's painful to say).

For second team, I see things a little differently. Despite Kyrie's awesomeness, I would have to put him second team. It's not that I don't think he's good enough or important enough, but I foresee two alpha dogs on Duke this year with Kyrie a far second.

As for my second team, it would be the following:
    -Chris Singleton: He'll pull a Shelden and get back-to-back Defensive Players of the ACC
    -Durand Scott: Love his game. He nearly kicked Duke out of the ACC tournament single-handedly. That's impressive.
    -Jordan Williams: Someone's gonna have to take a few shots at UMD
    -Dorenzo Hudson: Seems to be a popular pick nowadays. Also, he's got game
    -Demontez Stitt / Reggie Jackson: the best players on not-go-good-teams-who-could-put-up-great-numbers
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

What about Tracy Smith or CJ Leslie of State? Not sure if thats how Smith spells his first name.
    Or Iman Shumpert of GT?

Delaney (VT)
    N. Smith (DUKE)*
    Singler (DUKE)
    T. Smith (NCSU)
    Williams (MD)

Irving (DUKE)
    Scott (MIA)
    Singleton (FSU)
    Barnes (UNC)**
    Allen (VT)

*POY
    *ROY

Mp1
    mp2
    kyle
    nolan
    curry

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    There really isn't that much talent in Chapel Hill. There's enough, but Barnes will still have to log heavy minutes and take a lot of shots.

Besides, who else is going to fill the designated UNC slot on the All-ACC team? Got to have Barnes ahead of Zeller and Henson.
    It should be noted that UNC failed to place anyone on the All-ACC first team, second team or third team last season.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    It should be noted that UNC failed to place anyone on the All-ACC first team, second team or third team last season.
    Though Roy lobbied hard, real hard, for Ed Davis to make it based on "his first half stats" as surely he would have matched those numbers had he played the 2nd half of the ACC schedule. But alas, it was to no avail thankfully!

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    First time that happened in the history of the league, though, and it took a ninth-place finish.

If UNC finishes in the top four in the league (and they probably will) and Harrison Barnes is their best player (which he probably will be), then Barnes will be first-team All-ACC, regardless of what any other player in the league does this year.

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    If Joe Forte could win ACC POY, then the media might vote Barnes to the papacy.

1st Team:
    Nolan Smith
    Malcolm Delaney
    Harrison Barnes
    Kyle Singler
    Tracy Smith

2nd Team:
    Kyrie Irving
    Durand Scott
    Chris Singleton
    John Henson
    Jordan Williams

I am reluctant to suggest this, especially since no one else has done so. However, I would not discount Seth Curry from potential Second Team achievement. It is obviously FAR too early to be sure of any of these candidates, however I have a visceral feeling he is going to make very substantial contributions this season.

Quote Originally Posted by 4decadedukie View Post
    I am reluctant to suggest this, especially since no one else has done so. However, I would not discount Seth Curry from potential Second Team achievement. It is obviously FAR too early to be sure of any of these candidates, however I have a visceral feeling he is going to make very substantial contributions this season.
    I agree. My only caution would be that Scheyer failed to make any of the teams in 2008 when he came off the bench as a sophomore even though I think he was arguably our best player. I think Seth would have to find a way to average at least 13 ppg and have a stunning 3p% to sneak on to one of the teams. That would be awesome, of course, but I think that if he doesn't make one of the teams it has more to do with the competition he faces from his own teammates rather than his ability. From all indications, he definitely appears to be an all-ACC caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by COYS View Post
    I agree. My only caution would be that Scheyer failed to make any of the teams in 2008 when he came off the bench as a sophomore even though I think he was arguably our best player. I think Seth would have to find a way to average at least 13 ppg and have a stunning 3p% to sneak on to one of the teams. That would be awesome, of course, but I think that if he doesn't make one of the teams it has more to do with the competition he faces from his own teammates rather than his ability. From all indications, he definitely appears to be an all-ACC caliber.
    Exactly. Even though, by seasons end, we may well have four or five players (or even six, depending on how crazily optimistic you are) who should be considered All-ACC, there is a significant chance that many will be snubbed solely because they are on the same team as some of the other candidates. I suppose that's just how the selection process goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Jderf View Post
    Exactly. Even though, by seasons end, we may well have four or five players (or even six, depending on how crazily optimistic you are) who should be considered All-ACC, there is a significant chance that many will be snubbed solely because they are on the same team as some of the other candidates. I suppose that's just how the selection process goes.
    The only way I think some of our guys could avoid that type of snub would be for Duke to run the table in the ACC and have our closest competitors slump to 10 wins, or so, so that Duke's dominance is so ridiculous that our guys just can't be denied. Hey, it's possible, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Talking I Wouldn't Worry About Duke ACC Selections

Quote Originally Posted by Jderf View Post
    [Idle question for the Board: Which keystroke combinations cause messages to (a) post inadvertantly or (b) delete? It happens to me every now and then. So, therefore, I get to key this a second time.]

Duke has nothing to complain about WRT All-ACC selections, especially since Duke had three players in the top seven last year. But my real point is that neither Carolina, State, nor Wake have anything to worry about. There seems to be a persistent state of NC bias in the selections brought about by so many of the voters being from there, and it has existed forever, back to the day when the Big Four were the only decent basketball schools in the ACC. I don't think it's corrupt; I just think the Big Four players are well known to the writers and media guys, both on the court and personally. Moreover, I think it is easy for players in Boston, Tallahassee, Miami, or Blacksburg to get overlooked.

sagegrouse

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    [Idle question for the Board: Which keystroke combinations cause messages to (a) post inadvertantly or (b) delete? It happens to me every now and then. So, therefore, I get to key this a second time.]

Duke has nothing to complain about WRT All-ACC selections, especially since Duke had three players in the top seven last year. But my real point is that neither Carolina, State, nor Wake have anything to worry about. There seems to be a persistent state of NC bias in the selections brought about by so many of the voters being from there, and it has existed forever, back to the day when the Big Four were the only decent basketball schools in the ACC. I don't think it's corrupt; I just think the Big Four players are well known to the writers and media guys, both on the court and personally. Moreover, I think it is easy for players in Boston, Tallahassee, Miami, or Blacksburg to get overlooked.

sagegrouse
    Agreed. I would never say that the selection committee might be biased against us. If anything, Duke has gotten treated pretty well by them in recent years, as you say. I'm just saying that, specifically because we are so stacked, it might be unusually difficult to make All-ACC this year if your name is not Nolan, Kyle, or Kyrie.