Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I'm #1 or I'm Not Playing

Is this kid worth the trouble?

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebaske...nt-has-caveats

He is 90% committed to ASU, as long as they get more talent to play with him AND he gets to wear #1 (which was just given this year to a freshman).

I know we agreed to allow Kyrie to wear #1, but this seems different to me

This seems like a good reminder that these guys are in high school and many (though not all) are only at the maturity level of your average high school male.

I must say, though, that it's not uncommon in sports for a higher profile player to take a number from a lower profile, one, but I've never seen it at the college level. In the pro's, usually you buy someone a watch, or take him out to a nice dinner in exchange for the number, but what would a college guy do, buy him a pizza?

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Wow, that is quite the ego for the "10th best" PG in his class. If I am Herb Sendek, the kid need not worry about it, because I pull the offer and he can go wear Number 1 on somebody else's team. It appears he already committed and decommitted from Oregon St, so apparently he changes his mind a lot anyway.

fun to watch though

The kid obviously has a huge ego, but he has incredible hops
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KbunYon1rw

Head case. Run away.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Is this kid worth the trouble?

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebaske...nt-has-caveats

I know we agreed to allow Kyrie to wear #1, but this seems different to me
    My understanding from reading numerous preseason articles is that K did not "allow" Kyrie to wear #1, but it was actually K's idea. Does anyone have any additional information on this?
    Trinity '97, Tent #1 '97
    Tampa

The "allow" factor will come into play if Austin Rivers follows through on his request for #0 or # 00.

Quote Originally Posted by msdukie View Post
    My understanding from reading numerous preseason articles is that K did not "allow" Kyrie to wear #1, but it was actually K's idea. Does anyone have any additional information on this?
    The way I had heard it was that Kyrie asked for #1 and K explained how it normally works, which Kyrie accepted. Kyrie couldn't take the normal route in that situation by just adding another "1" because of Hurley, at which point Coach K changed course and offered him #1.

Forgive my ignorance, but....

Why didn't we allow someone to wear #1 usually? I understand #0 or really #00, but why a general prohibition on #1?
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est

Quote Originally Posted by msdukie View Post
    K asked KI what number he would like to wear and he said 11. K told him that unfortunatly it was retired and could not be used. So K said how about 1 and KI said sure!

To me, judging by the story and the youtube clip, it's a lot of flash without much class.

Rivers

Quote Originally Posted by ACCBBallFan View Post
    The "allow" factor will come into play if Austin Rivers follows through on his request for #0 or # 00.
    I don't see the problem ...

Rivers actually wanted to wear No. 25, which is retired for Art Heyman. When he learned that, he asked for #0. It's a legal number. It doesn't impose on anybody else.

What's the problem -- we've had 2 (Nolan), 3 (Tyler), 4 (JJ) ... what's wrong with 0 or 1?

To me, the only problem with the ASU kid is that he is demanding a number that's been given to a player already on the team. If Austin came in demanding his favorite 25 or maybe 20 (too bad Andre) I'd have a problem with that.

If he wants 0, what's the problem?

It is called HUBRIS. Character flaws almost always eventually undermine talent, including athleticism. I wouldn't recruit this kid under any circumstances, notwithstanding his potentially prodigious basketball abilities. He has a strong possibility of becoming corrosive to teamwork, leadership, and ethics AND of having behavioral/attitudinal problems (perhaps serious ones).

Quote Originally Posted by Boozer View Post
    Wow, that is quite the ego for the "10th best" PG in his class. If I am Herb Sendek, the kid need not worry about it, because I pull the offer and he can go wear Number 1 on somebody else's team. It appears he already committed and decommitted from Oregon St, so apparently he changes his mind a lot anyway.
    I think we should hold off before condemning this kid. Maybe it's not an ego thing at all, and it might not have anything to do with him wanting to be the teams "#1 priority." In the article, it does say he wants the number more as a tribute to his grandmother, and that it has "special meaning." I'm just saying, we might not have the full story -- although it could turn out that I'm wrong and he is just a head case.

On a side note, you've got to love watching the tiny guys with bounce.

The best "tribute" he can give to his grandmother is to take a FREE college education and earn a degree...

Wanting to wear a number is one thing. Committing verbally, then saying he's 90% committed, depending on the number and other recruits is another. I don't envy Herb Sendak managing that situation. Looks like an 18 year old stick up operation. Maybe ASU is that desperate. Glad we're not.

0 for Austin

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    I don't see the problem ...

Rivers actually wanted to wear No. 25, which is retired for Art Heyman. When he learned that, he asked for #0. It's a legal number. It doesn't impose on anybody else.

What's the problem -- we've had 2 (Nolan), 3 (Tyler), 4 (JJ) ... what's wrong with 0 or 1?

To me, the only problem with the ASU kid is that he is demanding a number that's been given to a player already on the team. If Austin came in demanding his favorite 25 or maybe 20 (too bad Andre) I'd have a problem with that.
    If he wants 0, what's the problem?
    Tweet from Austin.

AustinRivers25 Austin Rivers
    I'm wearing #0 cause once i get to college everything that i have done doesn't matter, It's a fresh start back to ground ZERO! Must destroy!

In terms of wearing No. 1, I seem to recall Krzyzewski not letting someone wear it in the past (Jay Williams maybe?), saying nobody was No. 1 individually since Duke is No. 1. I think he feels very special about Kyrie, and for good reason. The possibilities for having a player like Kyrie, even for a season -- though I suspect he'll be with us for two -- are a game-changer.

Quote Originally Posted by Starter View Post
    In terms of wearing No. 1, I seem to recall Krzyzewski not letting someone wear it in the past (Jay Williams maybe?), saying nobody was No. 1 individually since Duke is No. 1. I think he feels very special about Kyrie, and for good reason. The possibilities for having a player like Kyrie, even for a season -- though I suspect he'll be with us for two -- are a game-changer.
    Why do you think we will have him for two years? Any reason in particular or just a gut feeling? ahhh Kyrie and AR....

Quote Originally Posted by Duke: A Dynasty View Post

Why do you think we will have him for two years? Any reason in particular or just a gut feeling? ahhh Kyrie and AR....

I'd love it if KI decided to stay for two years. The way things are going in the NBA, though (i.e., potential lockout after this season), the decision might be made for him by circumstances beyond his control.