Page 8 of 64 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast
    Poythress himself said that Duke stopped recruiting him and he was sent an email indicating so from the staff.

"Poythress...said Duke had been on his list but that coach Mike Krzyzewski had decided to stop recruiting him."

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-bas...s-list-to-four

I don't know why Poythress would lie about that. I recall seeing a direct quote from him indicating an email was sent in an espn article but I can't seem to find it right now.

Yeah... Wheat is dead wrong here. A lot of the smart money was on Duke until they decided to stop recruiting him.

Really wish he'd bought into the "4" thing. He's going to be a monster.

Parker's a very important recruit. Certainly the program would move on and adjust and continue to field teams, and players already on the roster could step up and do well playing out of position a bit or Duke could land an amazing 2013 class, etc. etc., but none of those possibilities are mutually exclusive with Tony being a very important recruit. If the scale of recruit importance goes from 1 to 10, Parker is a 10, imo. I say that because:

(1) You'd be hard-pressed to find many recruits during the K era that Coach K and staff have recruited longer and harder than Tony. If nothing else, it'd just be nice to see all their efforts pay off. Those efforts also signal to me that Tony is underranked by recruiting sites right now.

(2) Duke wanted BOTH Parker and McGary to come and play together. That signals to me a "need" in the post for future years according to the coaching staff.

(3) With an Olympic year coming up in 2012, Duke's just not going to be able to recruit the 2013 class as hard as other programs next summer. Maybe that doesn't matter, and obviously Duke is putting in the work early with the 2013 class and there are a couple of studs in that class that we'd want regardless of anything that happens with 2012, but it'd be nice to alleviate the importance of that 2013 class a bit with a commitment from Parker. Fewer eggs in one basket.

(4) I'd say the less we need to rely on an undersized Kelly-Murphy (or Kelly-Hairston) frontcourt next year, the better. Likewise, the less we need to rely on a sophomore (or possibly redshirt freshman) MP3, the better. I don't expect a Brand-like impact from Parker because Brand was a #1 overall pick, but I do expect Parker to reduce non-ideal reliance on non-ideal options. He has the strength and width to be in the rotation right away unlike many lanky frosh big men. Even if he's just a 15-20 minute role player, that's up to 50% of a game that he's impacting with his size.

(5) It's not about the '12-'13 team, though. There's a cascading effect for seasons beyond that. I'd rather rely on a sophomore Parker in '13-'14 (who might then be on the verge of breaking out into a star) than a freshman big man, for example. He could impact several seasons for Duke and also impact recruiting by becoming that recent star who scores in the post for Duke, which our coaching staff could point to while recruiting future Tony Parkers. (Hopefully Miles and Mason will help with that this year, too).

Again, no one's jumping off a bridge or anything if he doesn't go here. But Duke wants him badly and there's a reason or two for that, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Parker's a very important recruit. Certainly the program would move on and adjust and continue to field teams, and players already on the roster could step up and do well playing out of position a bit or Duke could land an amazing 2013 class, etc. etc., but none of those possibilities are mutually exclusive with Tony being a very important recruit. If the scale of recruit importance goes from 1 to 10, Parker is a 10, imo. I say that because:

(1) You'd be hard-pressed to find many recruits during the K era that Coach K and staff have recruited longer and harder than Tony. If nothing else, it'd just be nice to see all their efforts pay off. Those efforts also signal to me that Tony is underranked by recruiting sites right now.

(2) Duke wanted BOTH Parker and McGary to come and play together. That signals to me a "need" in the post for future years according to the coaching staff.

(3) With an Olympic year coming up in 2012, Duke's just not going to be able to recruit the 2013 class as hard as other programs next summer. Maybe that doesn't matter, and obviously Duke is putting in the work early with the 2013 class and there are a couple of studs in that class that we'd want regardless of anything that happens with 2012, but it'd be nice to alleviate the importance of that 2013 class a bit with a commitment from Parker. Fewer eggs in one basket.

(4) I'd say the less we need to rely on an undersized Kelly-Murphy (or Kelly-Hairston) frontcourt next year, the better. Likewise, the less we need to rely on a sophomore (or possibly redshirt freshman) MP3, the better. I don't expect a Brand-like impact from Parker because Brand was a #1 overall pick, but I do expect Parker to reduce non-ideal reliance on non-ideal options. He has the strength and width to be in the rotation right away unlike many lanky frosh big men. Even if he's just a 15-20 minute role player, that's up to 50% of a game that he's impacting with his size.

(5) It's not about the '12-'13 team, though. There's a cascading effect for seasons beyond that. I'd rather rely on a sophomore Parker in '13-'14 (who might then be on the verge of breaking out into a star) than a freshman big man, for example. He could impact several seasons for Duke and also impact recruiting by becoming that recent star who scores in the post for Duke, which our coaching staff could point to while recruiting future Tony Parkers.

Again, no one's jumping off a bridge or anything if he doesn't go here. But Duke wants him badly and there's a reason or two for that, imo.
    I'd say this post pretty much hits it on the head. Parker's a pretty important guy in the grand scheme of things, and point 1 up there -- perception -- is to me a significant aspect of that. Everyone knows Krzyzewski has primarily had his eggs in Parker's basket for a while now, going to see him three times and such. I'd love to see him close this one. Plus, like Troublemaker said, Parker's heft can really help out in terms of what would otherwise probably be a smallish frontcourt going forward.

This is exactly what intrigues me most about Tony. Not the youtube videos or the rankings. Coach sees something special in Tony to the extent that he's given him the top-ten recruit type of recruiting treatment. I have a feeling that if Tony comes, he'll really blossom into more than what we might right now reasonably expect based on rankings and scouting reports alone. I trust K, and K has made clear how he feels about Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by El_Diablo View Post
    Just so we're clear, Wheat...are you saying airowe is a liar? For you to make such a matter-of-fact assertion means that you must have been privy to the conversation that Coach K had with the recruit, so I should know better than to doubt you, but it makes me sad to think airowe has been lying to us about this. But I guess you know better, so thank you for setting us straight on this one!
    No nothing like that...

It was a quick post from this AM and I only recalled him saying he he was no longer considering Duke...while the Duke offer was supposedly still out there.

It is certainly possible his reason was because Duke had backed off...if so, I stand corrected, but my overall point remains the same. Not every recruit is enamored with Duke and UNC.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheat/"/"/" View Post
    No nothing like that...

It was a quick post from this AM and I only recalled him saying he he was no longer considering Duke...while the Duke offer was supposedly still out there.

It is certainly possible his reason was because Duke had backed off...if so, I stand corrected, but my overall point remains the same. Not every recruit is enamored with Duke and UNC.
    Or you could have misremembered...

But yes, not every recruit is enamored with Duke and/or UNC. And it may be that Poythress wouldn't have come to Duke anyway. But in this particular case, it appears that Duke backed away first.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheat/"/"/" View Post
    I stand corrected, but my overall point remains the same. Not every recruit is enamored with Duke and UNC.
    Obvious. Or Kentucky, or UConn, or University of Alaska. I think we can all agree with this statement.
    ~rthomas

(3) With an Olympic year coming up in 2012, Duke's just not going to be able to recruit the 2013 class as hard as other programs next summer.
    A little off-topic here, but Coach K has refuted similar claims in the past by pointing out that his National Team committments all fall during recruiting dead periods, so he wouldn't be able to contact recruits anyways. I guess you could argue that any time spent doing something else is less time spent on recruiting, but I don't foresee it being an issue.

Also, you could always argue that coaching the Olympic team gives Coach K more visibility to recruits and therefore increases his chances of landing someone.

I guess you could argue that.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    A little off-topic here, but Coach K has refuted similar claims in the past by pointing out that his National Team committments all fall during recruiting dead periods, so he wouldn't be able to contact recruits anyways. I guess you could argue that any time spent doing something else is less time spent on recruiting, but I don't foresee it being an issue.

Also, you could always argue that coaching the Olympic team gives Coach K more visibility to recruits and therefore increases his chances of landing someone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devilsfan View Post
    I guess you could argue that.
    Yes, you could argue that quite effectively. To the point where many 'haters' stab a finger in K's direction and shout, "Unfair recruiting advantage!" in reference to his Olympic duty (and visibility). Actually, they also used to say that about his Amex commercials too... until many of their coaches started doing the same thing... (I'm in DC and have had to listen to more than one Terp fan/writer rant about that being "just another unfair Duke advantage...") *

But, yes, I've seen articles in the past from places not typically Duke-inclined, arguing that it isn't fair that K gets that visibility, pointing, as I recall, to him calling a couple of recruits from Beiing during the Olympics (soon after a televised game).

This is a topic that has been discussed at length in threads on these boards in the past, and while there was a lot of concern in his first couple of years doing the National team, I think it is fair to say that recruiting successes in the last few years have largely allayed those concerns among the Duke faithful.

It certainly isn't a "dead" issue, but I choose to see that glass as "half full."

* .... I'm to the point where I just smile and nod, and then calmly explain that it was set up by the same folks who arranged the Kennedy assasination and then faked the moon landing...

Big week(?)

Early sign period begins Wednesday, I believe, and Tony's first game (an exhibition) is on Thursday. Haven't heard anything concrete about a decision/announcement, but hopefully soon... need something to counterbalance the Penn State sadness... a TP commitment and our first game this Friday would certainly help.

Just saw Arowe retweet a message that said that it doesn't look likely that Parker will committ on Wednesday.
    http://www.dukesportsblog.com/

Twitter: @MikeKlineDSB

Facebook: Duke Sports Blog

Quote Originally Posted by mkline09 View Post
    Just saw Arowe retweet a message that said that it doesn't look likely that Parker will committ on Wednesday.
    Theoretically he could sign anytime between Wednesday and the 16th, correct?

I heard Kansas also dropped in on him within the last few days trying to make a last minute push, probably in the wake of losing out on Kaleb T. I don't imagine though that has anything to do with his not making a decision. Who knows...

Quote Originally Posted by dukedoc View Post
    Theoretically he could sign anytime between Wednesday and the 16th, correct?

I heard Kansas also dropped in on him within the last few days trying to make a last minute push, probably in the wake of losing out on Kaleb T. I don't imagine though that has anything to do with his not making a decision. Who knows...
    Yes anytime from Wednesday since that is the beginning of the early signing period. Yeah I'm sure that would have any affect on his decions. Guess we'll all find out soon enough.
    http://www.dukesportsblog.com/

Twitter: @MikeKlineDSB

Facebook: Duke Sports Blog

Watzone tweeting a suggestion that a decision may be approaching:

@BlueDevilNation
    Mark Watson
    We're working on some Tony Parker news for ya! The big man could annouce his decison as early as this week on ESPNU.

Or not...

@EvanDanielscout
    Evan Daniels
    Just talked to Tony Parker. He isn't planning to announce during the early period ...

Quote Originally Posted by dukedoc View Post
    Or not...

@EvanDanielscout
    Evan Daniels
    Just talked to Tony Parker. He isn't planning to announce during the early period ...
    I would have preferred an early announcement, that way the staff could have identified new big man targets to pursue in the class. I think it's important for Duke to have a big man in this class, but I know several experts have mentioned that the staff is content to move on to 2013 if Parker doesn't come to Duke.

Either way, I'm disappointed that he's delaying his decision.

me too...it would be awesome if Tony announced for Duke....
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by Oriole Way View Post
    I would have preferred an early announcement, that way the staff could have identified new big man targets to pursue in the class. I think it's important for Duke to have a big man in this class, but I know several experts have mentioned that the staff is content to move on to 2013 if Parker doesn't come to Duke.

Either way, I'm disappointed that he's delaying his decision.
    I am going to give Watzone the benefit of the doubt here over Evan Daniels. Watz would not have put that out there if he wasn't sure. Parker could have changed his mind of course, but I am interested to see Watzone's response to the Evan Daniels tweet before assuming Parker has definitely decided to wait.