Page 54 of 64 FirstFirst ... 4445253545556 ... LastLast
Results 1,061 to 1,080 of 1266
    Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    I tend to agree, it'd be great to bring in a big this year, let him develop, then have him ready to contribute in 2013-2014. Big men typically require a year or so to develop, and ideally you'd have someone just BELOW the one-and-done level who could stick around for 3-4 years. From what I can gather, jefferson and parker seem to fit the bill. Also, saving a scholarship seems like a silly reason to pass on a guy when we'll have four seniors graduating after this season.
    I definitely like where you're coming from with this post.

I discussed the issue of how many seniors we were losing during the Bazz thread and way to many people were seduced by the lure of a quality one and done player despite the effects it would have on the development of the kids we already had on the team, something I felt would hurt us for the 2013-2014 season should we have landed Bazz.

Yes, we will be losing 4 players after this upcoming season and I really don't understand the view held by several board members that we should hold onto scholarships so we can use them for chasing the latest flavor of the month. With the way the game is currently being run, these uber talented kids are taking their talent to Calipari's puppy mill at UK.

I much rather take a kid who actually wants to play for Duke even if that young man is a little raw and will need a year or two to develop into a star than cross my fingers that some hotshot who needs to be wooed and courted 24/7 decides to give us the time of day.

Quote Originally Posted by gam7 View Post
    You've said something to this effect before. I bit my tongue then, but can't do it again. You don't think they'd we'd need them within the next 3-4 years? Or even next year if Kelly/Mason suffers an injury during the season (as Kelly did this year)? Save the scholarship for what? For a top 25 caliber inside player from the class of 2013 that will likely stay 3-4 years? That's what these guys are. And in an earlier post you said you'd like to see NC State beat us out for Jefferson. Why would you want a conference foe to improve at our expense? I just don't agree.

With Mason coming back, we don't have quite the desperation we might have otherwise, but I'd much rather have one or both of these guys than not, particularly for the 2013-14 team.
    My concern, as it is with every other player in today's game, is what is their mindset and expectations. If either Amile or Tony are willing to take a backseat their freshman year, maybe get 10-15 mpg at the most, and are willing to do what it takes to get better and will actually stick around for several years then it's definitely worth it. Players are so quick to transfer these days that the team can be put in a bad situation roster-wise if players come in with different expectations of what their role would be. So say we get Tony and he ends up getting a max of 15 mpg as Murphy and Hairston are able to get a bunch of minutes at the 4, then what happens when we lose Ryan and Mason to graduation and Tony decides to transfer? We'd be right back to where we were had Tony not come to Duke. And I think Amile's freshman year would be identical to that of Ryan Kelly and Mike Gbinije, not getting much PT at all. If he's willing to stick it out and work hard every year and possbily be a starter by his junior season then it would definitely be worth it. Since I obviously have no idea what these guys are thinking I'll just have to trust Coach K that he understands what their expectations are for their first year or two at Duke. But he's been wrong before with a few others who were not happy with their role in the program.

Quote Originally Posted by gam7 View Post
    You've said something to this effect before. I bit my tongue then, but can't do it again. You don't think they'd we'd need them within the next 3-4 years? Or even next year if Kelly/Mason suffers an injury during the season (as Kelly did this year)? Save the scholarship for what? For a top 25 caliber inside player from the class of 2013 that will likely stay 3-4 years? That's what these guys are. And in an earlier post you said you'd like to see NC State beat us out for Jefferson. Why would you want a conference foe to improve at our expense? I just don't agree.

With Mason coming back, we don't have quite the desperation we might have otherwise, but I'd much rather have one or both of these guys than not, particularly for the 2013-14 team.
    Well if it were unc then I wouldn't want him to go there. I want State to be good again and they are right there on the brink of it. It would be exciting for State to be in the mix for the top 3 every year and in turn would help Duke by giving us better competition. How would it be at our expense? He would be behind Josh, Marshall, Mason, Ryan, Alex, MG and if you just meant in the future past this season (3 to 4 years) we would still have MG, Alex and Marshall. That is assuming we do not pick up another guy after the 2012 recruiting season. Besides Amile projects more as a PF and I like when we put taller Sfs in the Pf position not to mention we are early favorites for the top PF and top SF next year.

As for Tony Parker... I just am not a fan really. If he does for some reason choose Duke then I will be all for him but until then I will remain the same. It is not that he keeps changing his mind about his decision it is more of how he plays and I do not think he will develop into a good 4 year center. I have more faith in Amile who I think will be pretty good but he is more at a position we will need no help at. Tony I do not want to see at Gtown or UK and I also would like for UCLA to rebound and be that program they are know for.

In short I want college basketball to be good again and we are already gonna be a top team every year so losing these two guys to programs that could use them more is fine just as long as we get ours too.

Quote Originally Posted by JNort View Post
    ...just as long as we get ours too.
    Well, there's the rub, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Well, there's the rub, isn't it?
    And we will get ours and we already have. Since we already have we are not hurting for these two and UCLA and State are (or more so atleast)

Quote Originally Posted by JNort View Post
    As for Tony Parker... I just am not a fan really. If he does for some reason choose Duke then I will be all for him but until then I will remain the same.
    My one big issue with Parker will be - if he doesn't come to Duke - is that he really got out there and specifically brought up the "Duke has a problem coaching big men" issue. From what I read about he didn't get so specific with the other schools. I understand he was probably just being brutally honest, but surely he realizes that it hurts the school from a perception standpoint. It'd be like him saying "I'd like to go to Kentucky, but I'm just not sure Calipari can be trusted to stick around." I just don't appreciate airing that type of stuff for public consumption when it's already a sore spot.

TP mentioning a negative "perception" about our coaching bigs has also been brought up by the Christ School coach who had the Plumlees Three. Wonder what we did to him to cause him to go public and bash Duke. Maybe we took a player he was promising to another school and he lost some "thank you card" from the other school. Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilsfan View Post
    TP mentioning a negative "perception" about our coaching bigs has also been brought up by the Christ School coach who had the Plumlees Three. Wonder what we did to him to cause him to go public and bash Duke. Maybe we took a player he was promising to another school and he lost some "thank you card" from the other school. Just a thought.
    Maybe its because we got the next Kobe coming in, not the next Dwight Howard.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Chill View Post
    Maybe its because we got the next Kobe coming in, not the next Dwight Howard.
    Ummmmmm...and who would that be?

Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast
    Quote Originally Posted by miltk View Post
    really, the answer was there all the time. bazz's choice was a dismissal of all that is ky/duke,,,all the wins, the championship, the run and gun, the media coverage, the acc, the prime time, cal and k, the rabid fan base,,,,and all the misery that has befallen ben the past 2 or 3 years.
    Two easy ways to make friends on this board: streams of consciousness connected by 4 or 5 commas, and lumping Duke and Kentucky in the same heap.

I don't think any recruit that goes on an ESPNU recruiting show to announce his college decision is dismissing the 'media coverage' or the 'prime time.' I don't begrudge any of them the opportunity to announce on TV, since it's probably an awesome experience (not that Nerlens Noel didn't look confused out of his mind when he started his announcement), but nothing indicates that Shabazz was rejecting the modus operandi of kids who go to Duke and Kentucky. By the way, we've only had two kids commit on these shows, as far as I can remember - Kyrie and Austin. Everybody else was fairly nonchalant about it.

To whomever said that 'Duke normally comes in late' on recruiting, that simply isn't true. Of the 2012-2013 team: Mason, Ryan, Andre, Josh, Tyler, Michael (I believe, not positive), Alex, and Rasheed all committed before their senior (or would-be senior, in the cases of Andre and Alex) years.

Tony Parker

So, if he goes to UCLA he will backup Tony Parker. If he comes to Duke he will get lots of minutes and might even smart. Also, Parker could go to Georgia and jumpstart that program. He would an excellent teammate in Caldwell Pope. But, UCLA is seen as the favorite. Also, Kansas is not considered a favorite with Manning becoming a coach at Tulsa. How about Ohio State?? What does Parker think about the Buckeyes?? Besides the cold winters.

Quote Originally Posted by sterling View Post
    So, if he [Tony Parker] goes to UCLA he will backup Tony Parker.
    Now that's something I'd like to see.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by sterling View Post
    So, if he [Tony Parker] goes to UCLA he will backup Tony Parker.
    Wouldn't he be backing up the Wear twins? Also, is Kyle Anderson supposed to be starting from Day 1 at point? Or is he going to have to compete with LDII for the starting job? (not that it would be much competition)

I have no words...

Court Cred ‏ @courtcred

Tony Parker switches his announcement from Friday to next Monday. Head coaches have to wait a bit longer.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeGirl4ever View Post
    I have no words...

Court Cred ‏ @courtcred

Tony Parker switches his announcement from Friday to next Monday. Head coaches have to wait a bit longer.
    It's hard to think of a reason why he'd delay his announcement if he already knew for certain where he was going to go (as some have speculated).

Feel bad fot the kid...

Why do I have a feeling that wherever he commits he won't end up finishing his career there.

Him and Jefferson are 4 year players. They need to make decisions on where they're going to be in 3-4 years and not obsess about getting major minutes next year.

Quote Originally Posted by dukedoc View Post
    It's hard to think of a reason why he'd delay his announcement if he already knew for certain where he was going to go (as some have speculated).
    Have to agree with this. While he may not be actively considering all five schools still on his list, it looks like he is clearly struggling with at least two options, and maybe more.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelion View Post
    Him and Jefferson are 4 year players. They need to make decisions on where they're going to be in 3-4 years and not obsess about getting major minutes next year.
    I'm hoping, for his sake, that maybe Parker's decision is delayed yet again because he is coming to understand this--the quick appeal of UCLA to play with Shabazz Muhammad, who will only be there for a year, may be fading as he thinks about the situation over a few years. I also feel a little bad for him at this point. It seems he feels a lot of pressure to make the right decision--which is good in one way, but not so good if he is so concerned about making a mistake that he really can't decide.

Quote Originally Posted by dukedoc View Post
    Could be the latest news about Silent G. has given him something to think about. Now whether that's good or bad, only Tony knows.

Quote Originally Posted by ncexnyc View Post
    Could be the latest news about Silent G. has given him something to think about. Now whether that's good or bad, only Tony knows.
    I can't lie. That's the first thing I thought of as well when I read about the delay (yet again).

Somewhat interesting article

From April 10th, so I apologize if it was already posted. Interesting notes on the incoming freshman and the impact they might have. Tony Parker seems like he wants to expand his game, but should he at this point?

http://www.basketballprospectus.com/...articleid=2211