Page 51 of 64 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,020 of 1266
    I agree UCLA moves up on Tony's list now that Shabazz will be there, but based on what Tony said, it really sounds like he wants to start or get significant minutes from day 1, and it looks like he'd be Josh Smith's backup (just as he'd backup Mason at Duke). Maybe he's changed his tune, but I don't think he'd start at UCLA with Smith and the Wear twins there.

Quote Originally Posted by dukedoc View Post
    I realize some people are suggesting this now, but I would be pretty surprised. If Kyle and Bazz leave after a year, where would that leave Tony? He ain't a one and done type of talent. Plus, I recall his parents sounded completely turned off by the distance to tOSU let alone all the way to the left coast. We'll see. Now that Mason is back I don't suspect Tony will come to Durham, but UCLA? My pick is the Bulldogs.
    TP is one of those where you really don't know. I understand the logic, Doc, but I think most recruitniks would be fairly stunned if it was the Dawgs... But it could always become the "compromise" choice within the Parker family. In my mind TP to Duke hinges on how much sway his folks have, and do they/he expect him to be one-and-done? If he expects to unpack his bags for 2-3 years, then Mason staying and mentoring him could help. And, yes, they have been saying all through the recruiting process that proximity to home would be a factor (and UCLA is about as far away as you can get). I'm still holding out hope here.

Quote Originally Posted by -bdbd View Post
    TP is one of those where you really don't know. I understand the logic, Doc, but I think most recruitniks would be fairly stunned if it was the Dawgs... But it could always become the "compromise" choice within the Parker family. In my mind TP to Duke hinges on how much sway his folks have, and do they/he expect him to be one-and-done? If he expects to unpack his bags for 2-3 years, then Mason staying and mentoring him could help. And, yes, they have been saying all through the recruiting process that proximity to home would be a factor (and UCLA is about as far away as you can get). I'm still holding out hope here.
    I agree - Tony is a bit of a question mark in general, so everything in this thread is even more speculative than the average recruiting thread, and that's saying something. Georgia is really my "if we can't have him, then, fine, I hope he goes to X" school. I agree they're still a pretty long shot. I really think Tony could do well at Duke. I hope he doesn't, after everything he's gone through, make a rash decision by following Bazz's glitz to Hollywood.

Quote Originally Posted by dukedoc View Post
    I agree - Tony is a bit of a question mark in general, so everything in this thread is even more speculative than the average recruiting thread, and that's saying something. Georgia is really my "if we can't have him, then, fine, I hope he goes to X" school. I agree they're still a pretty long shot. I really think Tony could do well at Duke. I hope he doesn't, after everything he's gone through, make a rash decision by following Bazz's glitz to Hollywood.
    Really, it's the perfect situation for him to come into - get to learn behind two senior frontcourt players on a national contender, but bring a completely unique element to the roster and still have a very good shot at being the first big off the bench. Then as a sophomore, have the opportunity to step right in as the anchor of a national contender once again. However, all of his comments just now seemed to point towards the temptation of UCLA.

I do have to say, I'm glad this is the position we find ourselves in with Parker. If he wants to come, then he's welcome to come and commit himself to the program, but we'll be fine either way. No more begging.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post
    Really, it's the perfect situation for him to come into - get to learn behind two senior frontcourt players on a national contender, but bring a completely unique element to the roster and still have a very good shot at being the first big off the bench. Then as a sophomore, have the opportunity to step right in as the anchor of a national contender once again. However, all of his comments just now seemed to point towards the temptation of UCLA.

I do have to say, I'm glad this is the position we find ourselves in with Parker. If he wants to come, then he's welcome to come and commit himself to the program, but we'll be fine either way. No more begging.

I agree - Mason's return for next year was important in so many ways. For one, these lingering 2012 cycle recruits became would-likes rather than must-haves. Some would argue that they weren't must-haves regardless, but the point is, we have our big man for next year and to some extent we can exhale. I agree Tony could play a critical role starting from day 1, coming off of the bench. Hopefully he perceives that and sees beyond the next 365 days into the years after that. I imagine K has described this to him every which way.

Although Tony may be feeling the tug of Hollywood while among those guys, it's pretty apparent that at the end of the day it's in his living room, with his mom and dad, that this decision will be made. Neither of them seemed too enthused with the left coast.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    I agree UCLA moves up on Tony's list now that Shabazz will be there, but based on what Tony said, it really sounds like he wants to start or get significant minutes from day 1, and it looks like he'd be Josh Smith's backup (just as he'd backup Mason at Duke). Maybe he's changed his tune, but I don't think he'd start at UCLA with Smith and the Wear twins there.
    I would second this and we're never really sure how much importance to put on friendships and people saying how much they want to play with each other but I have to agree with other posters who have said that TP probably won't start from day 1 at many of his schools and by the time he is playing at UCLA, Bazz and Anderson will be playing for money.

But did anybody noticed that he said he was looking for a close knit family far from home?

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    I keep seeing post after post where people say things like: "Parker sees himself as a one and done", "Parker said he would only come if Mason left", "Or Parker wants to be the man from day 1", but honestly, I have not read where Parker or his family has said any of these things. Is there a link to articles where Parker said these things? Maybe they did and I missed it. It's certainly possible, but if there is a recent article with those type quotes, it would help separate some of the facts from fiction in this thread.

Things are not always as they seem, and each of these recruits are different. Not all are prima donna's with inflated egos. In the interviews I have seen, Parker seems very articulate but also down to earth and grounded.

I think he knows exactly who he is as a player, and that is a guy that will need time to develop, won't be the man from day 1, and certainly won't be a one and done.

Having Mason return for his Senior year, might actually be a positive in the Parker recruitment, not a negative.

Food for thought...

Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    I keep seeing post after post where people say things like: "Parker sees himself as a one and done", "Parker said he would only come if Mason left", "Or Parker wants to be the man from day 1", but honestly, I have not read where Parker or his family has said any of these things. Is there a link to articles where Parker said these things? Maybe they did and I missed it. It's certainly possible, but if there is a recent article with those type quotes, it would help separate some of the facts from fiction in this thread.

Things are not always as they seem, and each of these recruits are different. Not all are prima donna's with inflated egos. In the interviews I have seen, Parker seems very articulate but also down to earth and grounded.

I think he knows exactly who he is as a player, and that is a guy that will need time to develop, won't be the man from day 1, and certainly won't be a one and done.

Having Mason return for his Senior year, might actually be a positive in the Parker recruitment, not a negative.

Food for thought...

I agree that we've collectively evolved our perception of Tony and only part of that evolution was actually borne out of reality. I'm as guilty as anyone of making perhaps unfair assumptions about him.

I think part of it emerges from reading here and there that he liked Kansas (until Manning left) because of what they did with Thomas Robinson, and that he liked tOSU because of what they did with Sullinger. The implication being that he fancied himself a part of this elite big man lineage. He didn't say it like that, but those comparisons could easily be interpreted that way.

Then he goes and draws out his recruitment until the cows come home, all the while adding and subtracting schools in a confusing manner. Granted, this is the most important and most complicated decision of his life, but we fans can't be bothered with those practicalities. What we see is someone who is either frustratingly indecisive, or worse yet, overly picky. We assume he is looking for the perfect place for himself where he'll get maximal burn from day 1. We assume he envisions himself as "the man" and therefore is waiting until the absolute perfect opportunity presents itself. Combine these unfair assumptions with his apparent apathy/stoicism towards Duke despite K's almost embarrassingly committed pursuit of him, and you're left with a very warped and perhaps unfair conception of Tony.

I think your comments are excellent and give pause to our self-centered imaginations. I hope you're right about him and that our imaginations have truly gotten the best of us.

Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    Good point. I may have been guilty of that based on what I had heard from others rather than direct quotes from Tony, and I apologize for that. The best I could find was the following:

There is some concern with the logjam of Kansas' five-man 2012 recruiting class, which includes three post players.

"It's something you've got to look at," White [Tony's high school coach] said. "But Tony's a guy who won't need to worry about playing time wherever he goes, so that shouldn't be as big a factor."

"It's not that big a deal to me," Parker said. "But you've got to consider it."
    http://espn.go.com/high-school/boys-...ing-roundtable

So, perhaps it's his coach that's setting the bar very high. I don't think it's true that Tony would get starter minutes no matter where he goes...but Tony himself says it's not the most important thing, although it's something to certainly consider.

Who's left decide before TP?

I understand Parker wanted to wait until after Wednesday to see where other recruits end up and possibly what players declare for the draft. So who is left that might influence his decision at this point?

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    I understand Parker wanted to wait until after Wednesday to see where other recruits end up and possibly what players declare for the draft. So who is left that might influence his decision at this point?
    Just a hunch, but I am guessing Parker was likely to follow Muhammed to either UCLA, UK or Duke, depending on what Mason and Noel decided. If Muhammed picked Duke or UK and those schools did not have Noel and Mason, easy choice. If those schools did have Noel and Mason, tougher choice.

Now that Duke has Mason back and UK has Nerlens, Parker will pick UCLA and go play with Muhammed. I dont see Josh Smith as much of an issue there, any more than Mason and Ryan would be if Parker came to Duke. His minutes dropped from 22 to 17. The Wear twins combine for 54 minutes. If you assume Parker will get around 20 minutes wherever he goes, he can easily eat into the Wear twins minutes to get there, or he could split time with the overweight Smith (20/20).

I'd bet on UCLA but I confess to having nothing more than a hunch. Duke would be a pleasant surprise but I have no confidence it will happen.

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    Just a hunch, but I am guessing Parker was likely to follow Muhammed to either UCLA, UK or Duke, depending on what Mason and Noel decided. If Muhammed picked Duke or UK and those schools did not have Noel and Mason, easy choice. If those schools did have Noel and Mason, tougher choice.

Now that Duke has Mason back and UK has Nerlens, Parker will pick UCLA and go play with Muhammed. I dont see Josh Smith as much of an issue there, any more than Mason and Ryan would be if Parker came to Duke. His minutes dropped from 22 to 17. The Wear twins combine for 54 minutes. If you assume Parker will get around 20 minutes wherever he goes, he can easily eat into the Wear twins minutes to get there, or he could split time with the overweight Smith (20/20).

I'd bet on UCLA but I confess to having nothing more than a hunch. Duke would be a pleasant surprise but I have no confidence it will happen.
    He could also get 15 to 20 mpg at Duke (with Mason and Ryan each getting 25 to 30), or at Kentucky if that was the school that he felt fit best. Or any of his other many finalists. He may choose UCLA for other reasons, but it would surprise me somewhat if Tony Parker bases his entire college decision based on one year of playing with Shabazz.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    He could also get 15 to 20 mpg at Duke (with Mason and Ryan each getting 25 to 30), or at Kentucky if that was the school that he felt fit best. Or any of his other many finalists. He may choose UCLA for other reasons, but it would surprise me somewhat if Tony Parker bases his entire college decision based on one year of playing with Shabazz.
    I should have mentioned Kyle Anderson heading to UCLA as well. Parker spent time in March playing with Muhammed and Anderson on the USA junior select team.

Parker is hard to read. On the one hand, he's pretty direct and clear about a few things like not wanting to set screens. On the other hand, he's changed his announcement timing a dozen times. My hunch is that his parents really like Duke but he'd rather be alongside his friends.

That being said - you are right about his playing time. He could easily grab minutes at Duke. Young big men usually foul a lot which is the major limitation on their minutes.

My hunch is that his parents really like Duke but he'd rather be alongside his friends.
    This is what scares me should he decide to attend Duke.

My hunch is that his parents really like Duke but he'd rather be alongside his friends.
    Quote Originally Posted by azzefkram View Post
    This is what scares me should he decide to attend Duke.
    Not saying this means anything, but Tony and Quinn are very good friends. Tony is friends with damn near everybody. Just like Quinn.

Quote Originally Posted by airowe View Post
    Not saying this means anything, but Tony and Quinn are very good friends. Tony is friends with damn near everybody. Just like Quinn.
    And he's very well liked in and around Atlanta. Teachers at his school speak glowingly of him.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Obviously this is possible. But is it likely? I just wonder if this kid is really going to play substantial minutes as a freshman (regardless of college). Not trying to rag on the kid, I'm actually asking.

For comparisons sake, Ryan Kelly, Mason Plumlee, and even Shelden Williams all averaged less than 20 mpg as freshmen (and Ryan and Mason considerably less) with RSCI rankings higher than Tony Parker (I think, at least...the RSCI site is down right now).

15 - 20 mpg is a considerable amount of minutes, especially for a freshmen. Perhaps I'm trying to temper my own expectations for fear that all this talk about TP's potentially being one and done (or thinking as much) is inflating his ability.

- Chillin

Quote Originally Posted by ChillinDuke View Post
    Obviously this is possible. But is it likely? I just wonder if this kid is really going to play substantial minutes as a freshman (regardless of college). Not trying to rag on the kid, I'm actually asking.

For comparisons sake, Ryan Kelly, Mason Plumlee, and even Shelden Williams all averaged less than 20 mpg as freshmen (and Ryan and Mason considerably less) with RSCI rankings higher than Tony Parker (I think, at least...the RSCI site is down right now).

15 - 20 mpg is a considerable amount of minutes, especially for a freshmen. Perhaps I'm trying to temper my own expectations for fear that all this talk about TP's potentially being one and done (or thinking as much) is inflating his ability.

- Chillin
    I don't think he's one and done, and from what I've heard he doesn't think so either.

As far as the likelihood of Tony Parker playing 15 to 20 minutes at Duke, I'm not sure. It would be in the same ballpark as a lot of freshman bigs (Shelden had 19 mpg and Mason had 14 mpg as freshmen), although his RSCI rating (from last summer, anyway; the final rating hasn't come out yet) is lower than any of Shelden, Mason, and Ryan. What I was trying to say was if he earned his minutes, there should be 20 big man minutes available at Duke next year. Without Tony, they'll probably go to Josh, Marshall, and Alex. If Tony Parker comes to Duke, I expect he'll see a lot of them. How many depends on him, of course, but I think he has a shot at 15 to 20 just based on the fact that we don't have anyone else like him on the roster, from a body type and type of game perspective. Of course, I have no idea whether he'll actually be able to earn those minutes or not. Or whether Junior Josh and redshirt freshmen Marshall and Alex (who I assume will also see minutes at SF) will earn the minutes ahead of freshman Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by ChillinDuke View Post

- Chillin
    Valid points Chillin. But that's only half (if even that much) of the formula. In addition to the player's skills/abilities there is the very large issue of the team he's stepping on to. So, a three-star HS Center stepping onto a College squad that has little interior presence would almost certainly get more playing time than a 4-star kid joining a squad with three All-ACC caliber frontline players. (Think of the 5-star Frosh Forward at Carolina this year, even though he started to play more as the season progressed.) So, team positional/skill needs are very important. I would also point out that chemistry and team make-up are important (the sort of thing where the TEAM may play better, for whatever reason, with TP on the floor alongside a Mason or RK or whatever, for the effect (freeing up) he'll empower in them).

There's no question that Duke will have some need for interior presence help, even with MP2 (thank Gawd!!) returning. I recognize that freshmen don't typically get handed tons on minutes in D1, but TP does have a unique skill set that this team could readily take advantage of.