Page 50 of 64 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260 ... LastLast
Results 981 to 1,000 of 1266
    If he's as good as the hype then there is no competition for the third spot behind Mason and Ryan. Lots of PT for TP at Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilsfan View Post
    If he's as good as the hype then there is no competition for the third spot behind Mason and Ryan. Lots of PT for TP at Duke.
    I agree with this. I'm a big fan of the guys we already have, don't get me wrong. However, if Parker can rebound at a high rate from the get-go (and with his size, I think this is a definite possibility), he will have a place in the lineup. Big Pappa had an awesome post in another thread that showed that against UNC it was really the PF spot where we got decimated on the boards, not the center spot. Mason and Miles pulled down boards. However, Josh and Ryan struggled to rebound against McAdoo and Henson. Parker could earn minutes simply by using his size and strength to crash the boards. Nothing is guaranteed at Duke. Heck, Austin didn't even start every game this past season and the staff sat him in favor of Tyler during crunch time in Maui. But if he's willing to work hard, he could earn the role of third big.

TP's playing time if he were to come here would depend a lot on matchups from game to game. He's so different physically from anyone else we have on our team. If we're going against Reggie Johnson, he could definitely provide a big body in there defensively. Against smaller teams he could wear them down and get some easy buckets - we struggle a lot with making the entry pass into the post and I'm hoping that TP would provide an easier target for our guards to deliver the ball. I actually don't think he would have played much against this year's UNC team in a theoretical matchup because Henson would have been a horrible matchup for him and we'd need Ryan's shooting ability. But at any rate I do think he would get playing time against certain teams based on his size and strength which no one else on the team can really match.

Quote Originally Posted by COYS View Post
    I agree with this. I'm a big fan of the guys we already have, don't get me wrong. However, if Parker can rebound at a high rate from the get-go (and with his size, I think this is a definite possibility), he will have a place in the lineup. Big Pappa had an awesome post in another thread that showed that against UNC it was really the PF spot where we got decimated on the boards, not the center spot. Mason and Miles pulled down boards. However, Josh and Ryan struggled to rebound against McAdoo and Henson. Parker could earn minutes simply by using his size and strength to crash the boards. Nothing is guaranteed at Duke. Heck, Austin didn't even start every game this past season and the staff sat him in favor of Tyler during crunch time in Maui. But if he's willing to work hard, he could earn the role of third big.
    Honestly, I don't know what to expect from Alex Murphy and whether "third big" describes a possible role for him, or are we considering him as a Small Forward who scores and defends but is not a huge factor rebounding?

FWIW, on one of Coach K's TV shows this past season, there was a feature on Murphy and K described him as a potential 4-year starter and All-Conference candidate.
    K may have taken a very positive view when talking with Murhphy on the show, but he doesn't totally blow smoke no matter the situation.
    I would see some degree of competition for minutes between Murphy and Parker...not sure how much.

Gotta say, I kind of like the recent buzz Georgia is getting in the TP sweepstakes. I still want him to come to Durham, but if he decides to go elsewhere, I hope it's the Bulldogs. He seems like the kind of kid that would do well closer to home. Given his family's expectation that he'll be an impact player from day 1 it would seem that he would be most likely to do that and be successful with Georgia. He is a poor fit, in my view, for UCLA.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Honestly, I don't know what to expect from Alex Murphy and whether "third big" describes a possible role for him, or are we considering him as a Small Forward who scores and defends but is not a huge factor rebounding?

FWIW, on one of Coach K's TV shows this past season, there was a feature on Murphy and K described him as a potential 4-year starter and All-Conference candidate.
    K may have taken a very positive view when talking with Murhphy on the show, but he doesn't totally blow smoke no matter the situation.
    I would see some degree of competition for minutes between Murphy and Parker...not sure how much.
    This is a good point. I should have qualified my post by stating that I was assuming we probably would not be getting both 'Bazz and Parker so if Parker were to come to Duke, it would shift Alex down to the three to split minutes with Mike G. However, if Alex is really as good as All Conference and a four year starter next year, then it might necessitate playing him at the 4 a lot alongside Mike G and/or two or three of our guards.

I'll be honest. I wouldn't expect Parker to play PF. He's more of the Reggie Johnson mold in that he's going to be less athletic than his opponent even when he plays C. I'd hate to see him try to guard PF at the college level.
    Last edited by CDu; 04-11-2012 at 10:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dukedoc View Post
    Gotta say, I kind of like the recent buzz Georgia is getting in the TP sweepstakes. I still want him to come to Durham, but if he decides to go elsewhere, I hope it's the Bulldogs. He seems like the kind of kid that would do well closer to home. Given his family's expectation that he'll be an impact player from day 1 it would seem that he would be most likely to do that and be successful with Georgia. He is a poor fit, in my view, for UCLA.
    UGA could certainly use him, as they have not much else to speak of. However, i'm just gonna have to step in and say that his family's expectations are whack. I'm sure TP is good and will be a good college b-ball player, but Jared Sullinger he ain't. His family is certainly free to have any expectations they want, but i could really give a flying flip what those are, as most families often think much higher of their kids than actual coaches, y'know the ones who know something. The Wear family thought very highly of their kids. Larry Drew thought very highly of his kid. How'd that work out for them at UNC?
    Mostly, what i guess i'm saying is that if the Parker family expects that they would be able to influence the coaches as to how much pt their kid gets, then he should go somewhere other than Duke. Has there been any indication that they would try to do that? I have no idea. If the coaching staff likes what they see in TP and vice versa, great, i hope he comes cuz he seems like a player that could be of use over 4 years at Duke.

I appreciate the shout COYS, and I agree about Parker sliding in nicely behind Mason and Ryan. Something that has been overlooked is our projected offensive style for next season. Mason deciding to return after meeting with Coach K leads me to believe that the focal point of our offense will be inside-out next year. According to Jack Daly's (Duke correspondent for the Charlotte Observer) conversation with Perky Plumlee, a large part of why Mason stayed was because he was told he would be the guy next year. Here are a few quotes from Perky:

"Mason recognizes there are aspects of his game that need to be developed and he wants to do it at Duke. He’s not coming to back to Duke to stay the same."

"We’re naturally very curious to hear Coach K’s vision for Mason’s senior year and for the team. The coaches have pledged to us that they support his goals."

Coach K also said in the press conference: "Mason has the ability to contend for ACC player of the year and All-America honors next season.”

I say all of that to say that having TP behind Mason (and Ryan) will benefit both Duke and TP because the Duke offense wouldn't have to drastically shift when Mason is out of the game. From all I've seen and read about TP, his best attribute is his polished game on the offensive end. He has GREAT hands, a solid repertoire of post moves, and a good shot from 12-15 feet. If inside-out is the focal point of the offense next year, TP's skill-set is perfect to come in behind Mason and Ryan, play quality minutes, and not cause Duke to change their offensive game plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Pappa View Post
    I say all of that to say that having TP behind Mason (and Ryan) will benefit both Duke and TP because the Duke offense wouldn't have to drastically shift when Mason is out of the game. From all I've seen and read about TP, his best attribute is his polished game on the offensive end. He has GREAT hands, a solid repertoire of post moves, and a good shot from 12-15 feet. If inside-out is the focal point of the offense next year, TP's skill-set is perfect to come in behind Mason and Ryan, play quality minutes, and not cause Duke to change their offensive game plan.
    This is an excellent point. Despite vast differences in their athletic attributes, they have similar enough offensive games that the two could be somewhat interchangeable. I wouldn't be terribly confident in that pairing on the court together (unless Mason REALLY expands his game on both ends), but for maybe 3-5 mpg I wouldn't be opposed to it. We'd be really lacking in lateral quickness on the defensive end at the big man spots in that scenario. But in terms of offensive rebounding we'd look good with Parker. And in terms of defensive rebounding we'd look good with Mason.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    I'll be honest. I wouldn't expect Parker to play PF. He's more of the Reggie Johnson mold in that he's going to be less athletic than his opponent even when he plays C. I'd hate to see him try to guard PF at the college level.
    Well, I think it really depends where Tony fits in with the rest of the personnel. If he replaces Mason in the lineup and plays alongside Ryan, Alex, or Josh, he'd be defending the center spot. Similarly, he could still guard the center position if he were playing next to Mason. I really think the playing style of next year's team is up in the air and will depend on how the rest of the returning personnel improve and adjust their games. If Rasheed, Alex, and Mike G all come into next season ready for major contributions, we might play a more typical pressure defense with all that athleticism on the perimeter. This becomes even more likely if 'Bazz comes. In this scenario, I think Tony gets a little less PT. If, say, only Rasheed proves ready to apply consistent pressure on the opposing point guard, we could see a defense similar to '10 when Nolan pressured the point and everyone else crashed the boards and kept the opposing team out of the lane. In this case, I bet Tony gets more PT. At any rate, I think there is PT available if he's willing to come and work hard. And if not next year, definitely the year afterward when Mason and Ryan leave with only Tony, Marshall, and Josh returning.

Well, I think it really depends where Tony fits in with the rest of the personnel. If he replaces Mason in the lineup and plays alongside Ryan, Alex, or Josh, he'd be defending the center spot. Similarly, he could still guard the center position if he were playing next to Mason. I really think the playing style of next year's team is up in the air and will depend on how the rest of the returning personnel improve and adjust their games. If Rasheed, Alex, and Mike G all come into next season ready for major contributions, we might play a more typical pressure defense with all that athleticism on the perimeter. This becomes even more likely if 'Bazz comes. In this scenario, I think Tony gets a little less PT. If, say, only Rasheed proves ready to apply consistent pressure on the opposing point guard, we could see a defense similar to '10 when Nolan pressured the point and everyone else crashed the boards and kept the opposing team out of the lane. In this case, I bet Tony gets more PT. At any rate, I think there is PT available if he's willing to come and work hard. And if not next year, definitely the year afterward when Mason and Ryan leave with only Tony, Marshall, and Josh returning.
    My point was more in reference to the idea that Parker would help resolve the issues of rebounding at the PF spot. I took that to mean he'd be playing substantively at PF.

As far as him playing together with Mason, Mason is also not really quick enough to guard college PF. I'd say he's even less quick laterally than Kelly, who is also on the slower and less quick side for a college PF. So while I agree that Mason would have to play the PF if he and Parker shared the court, I don't necessarily see this as a good pairing (on either end). We'd be really slow with the two of them on the court together.

I absolutely see Parker being valuable next year and the year after. I just don't see him helping to address the rebounding situation at the PF spot. I'd not be thrilled to see more than 3-5 mpg with him sharing the court with Mason, so we're still in the same scenario in terms of rebounding deficiency at PF.

He reminds me of Josh Smith the current UCLA center. He is frustrating and hasn't panned out like panned. That's who Parker reminds me of. I have also heard the Elton Brand comparisons. Isn't he a big UCLA lean??

Quote Originally Posted by sterling View Post
    He reminds me of Josh Smith the current UCLA center. He is frustrating and hasn't panned out like panned. That's who Parker reminds me of. I have also heard the Elton Brand comparisons. Isn't he a big UCLA lean??
    I believe Brand went to Duke and isn't seriously considering UCLA.
    “Those two kids, they’re champions,” Krzyzewski said of his senior leaders. “They’re trying to teach the other kids how to become that, and it’s a long road to become that.”

Earlier on he was rumored to be a strong Duke lean. Recruiting stories.

Earlier on he was rumored to be a strong Duke lean. Recruiting stories.
    I don't know that there's a clear indication of which way he's leaning. I don't know that he was ever considered a strong Duke lean - just that he was very interested in Duke. Given that we're still on his list of 5-6 schools, I'd say that's still accurate.

Now with Bazz at UCLA, I wouldnt be surprised if Parker follows.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Chill View Post
    You beat me to it. I would be extremely surprised if we end up getting him or if Parker keeps people waiting much longer at all after Bazz's commitment. I really think we start putting the heat on Rodney Hood at this point. That kid can play, and if he fits in the Duke mold, I'd love to see him in Durham.

Shabazz even said "if we can get Tony Parker to come." How could you say no to that?

Oh well. Still crossing my fingers on Amile...(well, and on Parker, too, but I'm trying to be realistic here)
    T '05, SOM '10

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Chill View Post
    I realize some people are suggesting this now, but I would be pretty surprised. If Kyle and Bazz leave after a year, where would that leave Tony? He ain't a one and done type of talent. Plus, I recall his parents sounded completely turned off by the distance to tOSU let alone all the way to the left coast. We'll see. Now that Mason is back I don't suspect Tony will come to Durham, but UCLA? My pick is the Bulldogs.