Page 47 of 64 FirstFirst ... 37454647484957 ... LastLast
    In that article, a day with Tony Parker, he couldnt forget how far UCLA was from home. TP said something to the fact that his family wouldnt get to visit as much. He seems like a guy who appreciates his family and time spent with them and going to Cali will keep them apart. The distance is definately on his mind.

He couldnt get over the fact that Ohio st was so cold. The weather is something he mentioned and it could be the deciding factor on not going to the Buckeye state. I lived in Ohio for 2 years and the weather is something that you have to adjust to.

So the most practical choice left on his list is Duke. Its the best school in the world and it has a hoops program ran by the best leader ever at any sport. His parents are pushing Duke and we need him as his dad states in the article. And the only reason he dont like Duke is Wojo coaching him and Chris Burgess developement??? I think his parents will debunk that myth enough that on April 10th or 11th, wich ever day he signs, TP will be a Blue Devil.

After reading all the quotes from him and his parents, I would be shocked if he dont pick Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by dukeballboy88 View Post
    In that article, a day with Tony Parker, he couldnt forget how far UCLA was from home. TP said something to the fact that his family wouldnt get to visit as much. He seems like a guy who appreciates his family and time spent with them and going to Cali will keep them apart. The distance is definately on his mind.

He couldnt get over the fact that Ohio st was so cold. The weather is something he mentioned and it could be the deciding factor on not going to the Buckeye state. I lived in Ohio for 2 years and the weather is something that you have to adjust to.

So the most practical choice left on his list is Duke. Its the best school in the world and it has a hoops program ran by the best leader ever at any sport. His parents are pushing Duke and we need him as his dad states in the article. And the only reason he dont like Duke is Wojo coaching him and Chris Burgess developement??? I think his parents will debunk that myth enough that on April 10th or 11th, wich ever day he signs, TP will be a Blue Devil.

After reading all the quotes from him and his parents, I would be shocked if he dont pick Duke.
    In that article, he seemed very excited about UCLA and the possible chance to play with Anderson and Muhammad. It was his parents who were talking about how far it was - not him. If the choice is purely his, I'd expect it to not be Duke. If his parents have their way, it'll be Duke. The only positive thing he said about Duke was that he has a great deal of respect for Coach K.

Frankly, I don't know that I want a kid who'd rather be somewhere else. It just sets up problems if things don't go perfectly. So hopefully, if he chooses Duke, it's because he really wants to be here and not because his parents talked him into it.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    In that article, he seemed very excited about UCLA and the possible chance to play with Anderson and Muhammad. It was his parents who were talking about how far it was - not him. If the choice is purely his, I'd expect it to not be Duke. If his parents have their way, it'll be Duke. The only positive thing he said about Duke was that he has a great deal of respect for Coach K.

Frankly, I don't know that I want a kid who'd rather be somewhere else. It just sets up problems if things don't go perfectly. So hopefully, if he chooses Duke, it's because he really wants to be here and not because his parents talked him into it.
    This is an excellent point. College decisions can be tough, even for non-athletes for whom the choice isn't so tied up with possible pro career prospects. Tony's parents, like other parents, have an important role to play as advisors, making sure that he has asked the right questions and considered all the factors he should. But if they push a school (whether Duke or another one) and he follows their advice against his own desires or gut instincts, there will be lots of room for second-guessing later.

Not to say he might not come to regret following his own instincts--most of us can remember at least one time when we grudgingly admit (even if only to ourselves) that we should have followed our parents' advice. But then he will own the choice and may be more likely to try harder to make it work.

I will be delighted if he wants to come to Duke, but if he doesn't want to, he shouldn't, and good luck to him wherever he goes.

Kyrie and Harrison referred to each other as brothers and were inseparable on the circuit.

I asked Quinn Cook who he wanted to play with in college and said emphatically Deuce Bello, Quincy Miller and Johnny O'Bryant.

Rasheed Sulaimon told me that he and Shabazz have talked about playing together in college and even discussed what positions they would play.

There are a lot of factors that go into a kid's decision-making process. Where his friends are going hasn't been shown to be a big factor in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Parker tweeted again a few hours ago, to wit: "The bros finna go and get something to eat" and then referred specifically to Kyle Anderson and Shabazz. So that's twice in one day, after not mentioning either of them in the several months I've been kinda sorta monitoring the tweets, that he mentioned hanging with these two guys, and it he just happens to put it out there a few days before commitment day.

I know, nobody knows anything, and they're all just kids, and maybe TP is trying to throw people off the scent. Or not. All I can say is I have a hard time believing the appearance of these tweets today is an accident or a coincidence. Sumpin is up. And I would not be unhappy about it if I was UCLA.
    TP, KA, and SM are friends on the AAU circuit. Tony's mentioned wanting to play with them before: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4n-FZ...utu.be&t=1m24s

As airowe points out, it may not mean anything.

The scenario Parker has to consider is this: does he want to go west to play with Anderson and Bazz for a year? (And "play with" might be a stretch, as he could serve as Josh Smith's backup all year.) Then, Bazz and Anderson go league. Then what for him? If he goes to UCLA, there better be other factors he likes about them. Don't want to be that lonely kid stranded far from home a year from now.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    It may not mean anything.
    And it may mean everything.

Both of those statements may or may not be true of every single indication (or counter-indication) given by any recruit (or friend, relative, reporter, etc.) at any point in the recruiting process (both pre- and post-commitment). Only an LOI carries any actual weight, and even then there is no guarantee.

That's why, in my opinion, it is completely pointless to follow recruiting news except to find out which guys our school is targeting. I mostly just wait and see who decides to show up on campus in the fall.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Parker tweeted again a few hours ago, to wit: "The bros finna go and get something to eat" and then referred specifically to Kyle Anderson and Shabazz. So that's twice in one day, after not mentioning either of them in the several months I've been kinda sorta monitoring the tweets, that he mentioned hanging with these two guys, and it he just happens to put it out there a few days before commitment day.

I know, nobody knows anything, and they're all just kids, and maybe TP is trying to throw people off the scent. Or not. All I can say is I have a hard time believing the appearance of these tweets today is an accident or a coincidence. Sumpin is up. And I would not be unhappy about it if I was UCLA.
    We know he's friends with these guys, that he probably rarely gets to see them, and that they're all together at the Nike Hoop Summit. Frankly, these sorts of tweets are exactly what I'd expect in that situation. I suspect it's more about the fact that they're all in one place and less about the proximity to "commitment day."

I know there was a report that he narrowed his list, but I think he is going to Kansas or Ohio State. He would probably start on either because they don't have much coming in that I can tell.

Totally Agree

Quote Originally Posted by Jderf View Post
    And it may mean everything.

Both of those statements may or may not be true of every single indication (or counter-indication) given by any recruit (or friend, relative, reporter, etc.) at any point in the recruiting process (both pre- and post-commitment). Only an LOI carries any actual weight, and even then there is no guarantee.

That's why, in my opinion, it is completely pointless to follow recruiting news except to find out which guys our school is targeting. I mostly just wait and see who decides to show up on campus in the fall.
    It is a wait and see situation. Based on the targeting, there is hope for Duke.

Tony's not returning Ohio State's calls: http://mobile.dispatch.com/wap/sport...0Sports%20News

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by airowe View Post
    Tony's not returning Ohio State's calls: http://mobile.dispatch.com/wap/sport...0Sports%20News
    I see this as great news considering I always thought Ohio State had a great shot at landing TP. With them out of the running I think Duke's chances go way up, considering his parents favor us, he doesn't seem too inclined to go across the country, and Memphis is still a middling program.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    I see this as great news considering I always thought Ohio State had a great shot at landing TP. With them out of the running I think Duke's chances go way up, considering his parents favor us, he doesn't seem too inclined to go across the country, and Memphis is still a middling program.
    From all I've read, it's his parents who aren't keen on him going across the country. He seems to be fine with the idea of playing at UCLA. Getting rid of OSU would definitely be good news, but UCLA has seemed to be the biggest threat (with Muhammad's decision being the key driver).

Quote Originally Posted by wgl1228 View Post
    I know there was a report that he narrowed his list, but I think he is going to Kansas or Ohio State. He would probably start on either because they don't have much coming in that I can tell.
    Incorrect. KU is bringing in Perry Ellis, who is also a McDAA, ranked just slightly lower than Parker on RSCI, and they would play the same position. KU also has Kevin Young coming back as a senior, who may initially have the starting spot next to Withey, provided he bulks up a bit over the summer. Self adores experience, and it's very rare that incoming freshmen start from day one if there is a somewhat viable option already on the roster. I doubt Young is starting when conference play rolls around, but stranger things have happened.

This also ignores the fact that Danny Manning has left KU to coach at Tulsa. All of the big man recruits in KU's hopper have said that Manning was the biggest reason they were interested (that includes Parker, but also Julius Randle and Chris Walker).

KU's chances with Parker are hovering slightly over 0%, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by TexHawk View Post
    Incorrect. KU is bringing in Perry Ellis, who is also a McDAA, ranked just slightly lower than Parker on RSCI, and they would play the same position. KU also has Kevin Young coming back as a senior, who may initially have the starting spot next to Withey, provided he bulks up a bit over the summer. Self adores experience, and it's very rare that incoming freshmen start from day one if there is a somewhat viable option already on the roster. I doubt Young is starting when conference play rolls around, but stranger things have happened.

This also ignores the fact that Danny Manning has left KU to coach at Tulsa. All of the big man recruits in KU's hopper have said that Manning was the biggest reason they were interested (that includes Parker, but also Julius Randle and Chris Walker).

KU's chances with Parker are hovering slightly over 0%, imo.
    Yeah, with Withey, Ellis, and Young, I can't imagine Parker going there. Unless he decides he's okay with waiting a year to start. Of course, at that point Duke has a shot again. And I agree that losing Manning hurts.

I think UCLA is the biggest threat to get Parker. I'd put the odds at well over 50% on them, and close to 100% if they get Muhammad.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by airowe View Post
    Kyrie and Harrison referred to each other as brothers and were inseparable on the circuit.

I asked Quinn Cook who he wanted to play with in college and said emphatically Deuce Bello, Quincy Miller and Johnny O'Bryant.

Rasheed Sulaimon told me that he and Shabazz have talked about playing together in college and even discussed what positions they would play.

There are a lot of factors that go into a kid's decision-making process. Where his friends are going hasn't been shown to be a big factor in the past.
    That's a great point actually. We see this every year with recruits who became great friends on the AAU circuit and sustain the friendship via social media. They all talk about package deals, but in the end, it rarely happens. Bello & Quincy is the one exception I can think of in recent years. It's a personal choice, as it should be, and it is rare when a school ends up being the "right fit" for multiple players who are friends/buddies. Just does not happen that often.

Do you think that Tony Parker will propel Duke into being a team capable of winning a National Championship or even a Final 4 appearance. I have never seen him play but from what I read, and I could be wrong, he is not going to be an impact player in year 1. Andre Drummond who was higher rated did not at UConn.

Oriakhi, probably could be altho it looks like he will not come to Duke.

Am I the only one that thinks some of these kids (the elite talent) way "overthink" the school choice process? I mean for someone like Shabazz, you are going to spend what, maybe 8 months at the place then bolt for the NBA... how perfect does a school need to be for that???

I think I would consider the coach and if I think that I could have fun playing for him and that would be it... maybe school colors would factor in... for example, I could never go to VT...

For the marginal talent (3-4 star) then maybe it is a little more to think about... maybe you do need to look at the program's track record for developing players in your position... along with, "can I get along with this coach, and do I look good in the school colors"?...

So for the elite guys... come on pick one so we can get on with our lives.... I mean it's not like you will be there next year this time...

Quote Originally Posted by oldnavy View Post
    Am I the only one that thinks some of these kids (the elite talent) way "overthink" the school choice process? I mean for someone like Shabazz, you are going to spend what, maybe 8 months at the place then bolt for the NBA... how perfect does a school need to be for that???

I think I would consider the coach and if I think that I could have fun playing for him and that would be it... maybe school colors would factor in... for example, I could never go to VT...

.... I mean it's not like you will be there next year this time...
    The Black Pigeon was ...

VT colors rock ... Tennessee or Texas? ... well ...

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    The scenario Parker has to consider is this: does he want to go west to play with Anderson and Bazz for a year? (And "play with" might be a stretch, as he could serve as Josh Smith's backup all year.) Then, Bazz and Anderson go league. Then what for him? If he goes to UCLA, there better be other factors he likes about them. Don't want to be that lonely kid stranded far from home a year from now.
    For the record, though I do like Kyle Anderson's game a whole lot, I can't picture him as a one-and-done player. Shabazz, almost definitely, but I think it's pretty unlikely with Anderson. He has a great understanding of the game and his skills are on point, but his body is going to need more work.