Page 44 of 64 FirstFirst ... 34424344454654 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga2 View Post
    I for one will be happy when all the speculation ends and something real replaces it, like are they actually coming to Duke or not. We now know Rivers is surely gone and Mason is still up in the air. Maybe Mason will also be resolved on April 11th as well.
    Mason will be "resolved" before April 11 because the NCAA deadline on the issue is April 10.

Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga2 View Post
    I for one will be happy when all the speculation ends and something real replaces it, like are they actually coming to Duke or not. We now know Rivers is surely gone and Mason is still up in the air. Maybe Mason will also be resolved on April 11th as well.
    Prior to last week I was pretty confident that Rivers would go and Mason would stay. Last week's reports (which have since been debunked) shook that confidence with regard to Mason. But now I'm back to hopeful that he'll return. We'll see. If we don't get Mason back, I hope Oriakhi decides that Durham is a good fit, as he'd provide a lot of the same things that Mason would provide.

I'd love to get Muhammad, but I feel like the big man situation is more important. I'm hopeful that Murphy and Gbinije/Dawkins can step up in the SF role. But I'm less confident in Marshall being ready to be more than a solid backup (better version of sophomore Miles) next year.

The more I here about Parker, the less enthusiastic I am about him as an impact player next year. We'll see. If we do get him, I hope Coach K can spark the fire in him.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Mason will be "resolved" before April 11 because the NCAA deadline on the issue is April 10.
    Well, sort of. The April 10 deadline only applies for those who declare before April 10. If Mason waits to decide until after April 10, he can still declare up until April 29 (the NBA deadline).

The smart move would be to wait until April 28 or so to see who all has declared, and then decide where you stand in the draft and make a decision then.

So I'd say that the Mason situation may not be resolved until April 29.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Well, sort of. The April 10 deadline only applies for those who declare before April 10. If Mason waits to decide until after April 10, he can still declare up until April 29 (the NBA deadline).

The smart move would be to wait until April 28 or so to see who all has declared, and then decide where you stand in the draft and make a decision then.

So I'd say that the Mason situation may not be resolved until April 29.
    I don't think that's an option.
    According to NCAA Proposal No. 2010-24, "student-athletes interested in 'testing the waters' of the NBA draft [are required] to remove their name from consideration before the first day of the spring National Letter of Intent signing period." [...]
    http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ba...223906104.html
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    But if you don't officially "test the waters" there's nothing to withdraw from. If you (or someone close to you) just happen to have a conversation with an NBA GM who says he would draft you middle of the first round, the NCAA can't prevent you from declaring before April 29, can they?

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    But if you don't officially "test the waters" there's nothing to withdraw from. If you (or someone close to you) just happen to have a conversation with an NBA GM who says he would draft you middle of the first round, the NCAA can't prevent you from declaring before April 29, can they?
    Those two dates are a little confusing, but I think your interpretation is correct.

In practical terms, I think Mason, his family, and the coaches can gather enough info for him to make a decision about the pros prior to April 10; at least, I hope so.

How would the NCAA punish him if he waited until April 28th to declare? This rule has been confusing me since it came out. If he declared for the draft by the NBA deadline the NBA would have no problem because he declared before the deadline, and the NCAA couldn't do anything because they would no longer have any control over him.

That only applies if you officially declare for the draft before April 10. If you declare for the draft before April 10 (but don't hire an agent), you have to pull out by April 10 to remain eligible with the NCAA. But there's nothing stopping a player from not declaring until after April 10 in the first place. What can the NCAA do if a player doesn't decide to declare and go pro until April 28th? At that point, the player would be ineligible for the NCAA, but that wouldn't matter because they'd be going pro anyway.

Mason has not, to my knowledge, entered his name in the draft. If he waits to do so until after April 10, the April 10 deadline becomes irrelevant. At that point, all that matters is the April 29 NBA deadline. Anyone who enters their name between April 11 and April 29 is automatically ineligible for the NCAA so they are in effect officially and irreversibly declaring for the draft.

So we won't necessarily know for sure about Mason until April 29.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I don't know...but if that loophole does indeed exist then it makes the whole thing useless. As far as I know, Mason is indeed "testing the waters". This means that he is taking advantage of a free service provided by the NBA to educate him on where he may go. I think he is provided access to like 20 representatives in the NBA and draft process, at least I read that somewhere. (looking for a link)
    From The Chronicle...
    After three years as a Blue Devil, junior Mason Plumlee has decided to “test the waters” of the NBA draft and possibly skip his final year of college to pursue a career in the NBA. Both Draft Express and Chad Ford of ESPN rate Plumlee as the 29th-best prospect and project him to be drafted towards the end of the first round, should he choose to leave Duke.
    http://www.dukechronicle.com/article...ng-pro-options

Being that he is a junior anyway, it would make little sense to not take advantage of this opportunity and gather some useful information while he can.
    Here's another link..and I think it clears up your misconception.
    April 3: NBA Undergraduate Advisory Committee Application Deadline
    April 6: NBA Undergraduate Advisory Committee Response Deadline
    April 10: NCAA Early Entry “Withdrawal” Deadline
    April 29: NBA Draft Early Entry Eligibility Deadline (11:59 pm ET)
    May 3 or May 4: NBA Draft Early Entry Candidates Released
    May 30: NBA Draft Lottery
    June 6-8: NBA Combine/Pre-Draft Camp (Chicago)
    June 18: NBA Draft Early Entry Withdrawal Deadline (5:00 pm ET)
    June 28: 2012 NBA Draft

The main change that occurred this year involves the NCAA's unilaterally imposed “early-entry withdrawal deadline” of April 10th.

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com#ixzz1qKJRokRr
    So there are two early entry withdrawal deadlines...but one is imposed by the NCAA.
    That means that if you are in college, you have to pull out by the 10th, but if you are in another country where the NCAA has no say, then you have until the 18th of June.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I don't know...but if that loophole does indeed exist then it makes the whole thing useless. As far as I know, Mason is indeed "testing the waters". This means that he is taking advantage of a free service provided by the NBA to educate him on where he may go. I think he is provided access to like 20 representatives in the NBA and draft process, at least I read that somewhere. (looking for a link)
    From The Chronicle...

Being that he is a junior anyway, it would make little sense to not take advantage of this opportunity and gather some useful information while he can.

So there are two early entry withdrawal deadlines...but one is imposed by the NCAA.
    That means that if you are in college, you have to pull out by the 10th, but if you are in another country where the NCAA has no say, then you have until the 18th of June.
    It's not a loophole. It's a black and white distinction. If he declares, he gets a few days to try to meet with NBA executives before he would have to undeclare. If he decides not to declare early, he can talk with Coach K (who can talk with his contacts) up until April 29. If by April 29 he hears through Coach K where he'd likely go in the draft, he can then decide whether or not to go to the draft.

There are many in the media who scoff at the new NCAA deadline because it actually prevents players from really "testing the waters." Essentially, if you declare early, you have only a couple of days to actually gather information from NBA scouts before making a decision. So it's not realistic that a player will really gain any true information in time to make a decision. Those who declare early are going to basically have to stay in the draft.

Conversely, if you don't declare early, you can take your time and (if you trust your coach) use him to gain information. Coach K has enough contacts that he can advise Mason without Mason needing to go through a rushed process of meeting with NBA folks. So he can use Coach K and take more time to make an informed decision.

The only difference is that if you declare after April 10 you have no choice but to go. If you declare before April 10 you do, but there is very little time to actually take advantage of the window (because it's just a few days of access to the NBA folks).
    Last edited by CDu; 03-27-2012 at 10:37 AM.

From The Chronicle...

Yes--if you want to stay in college. But the NCAA has no power to keep someone from deciding to LEAVE college between April 10 and April 29--it's just that if you make a decision to enter the draft after April 10, it's irrevocable--your college eligibility is gone.

Edit: I see CDu also posted on this, and his/her answer is clearer and more detailed than mine.

Conversely, Coach K has enough contacts that he can advise Mason without Mason needing to go through a rushed process of meeting with NBA folks. So he can use Coach K and take more time to make an informed decision.
    Your conclusion makes sense, but I do remember reading that, while he hasn't officially "declared" for the draft, Mason was in the process of sending in the paperwork so he could get the opinion of the official committee, whoever they are. Is there a difference between asking for the opinion and declaring? Assuming he officially asks for the committee's opinion (but doesn't "declare," if there's a difference), does that mean he has to officially withdraw to keep his eligibility?

Quote Originally Posted by MCFinARL View Post
    Yes--if you want to stay in college. But the NCAA has no power to keep someone from deciding to LEAVE college between April 10 and April 29--it's just that if you make a decision to enter the draft after April 10, it's irrevocable--your college eligibility is gone.

Edit: I see CDu also posted on this, and his/her answer is clearer and more detailed than mine.
    Right...but it would not make sense to not declare and not come back to school. This draft stuff makes my head hurt.

Your conclusion makes sense, but I do remember reading that, while he hasn't officially "declared" for the draft, Mason was in the process of sending in the paperwork so he could get the opinion of the official committee, whoever they are. Is there a difference between asking for the opinion and declaring? Assuming he officially asks for the committee's opinion (but doesn't "declare," if there's a difference), does that mean he has to officially withdraw to keep his eligibility?
    That's a legitimate question. If Mason has actually submitted paperwork declaring for the draft, then the April 10 deadline is relevant. If he has not, then the April 10 deadline may or may not be relevant (depending upon whether he eventually does declare early).

Right...but it would not make sense to not declare and not come back to school. This draft stuff makes my head hurt.
    I disagree. I think it WOULD make sense to not declare early. It would allow more time to:
    1. get more information from NBA folks through Coach K
    2. see who else has declared to get a better feel for who you'd be competing with in the draft

That's a legitimate question. If Mason has actually submitted paperwork declaring for the draft, then the April 10 deadline is relevant. If he has not, then the April 10 deadline may or may not be relevant (depending upon whether he eventually does declare early).
    I thought this thread was about Tony Parker.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    I thought this thread was about Tony Parker.
    Well, he commits tomorrow night. We have gathered and talked about just about all of the information available, only thing left to do is to sit back, enjoy the Micky D's game, watch our boy Sheed, hope Parker commits, then wait it out until April 11th when Shabazz makes his decision, and see what Amile decides to do in the days in between.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukehky View Post
    Well, he commits tomorrow night. We have gathered and talked about just about all of the information available, only thing left to do is to sit back, enjoy the Micky D's game, watch our boy Sheed, hope Parker commits, then wait it out until April 11th when Shabazz makes his decision, and see what Amile decides to do in the days in between.
    Parker has moved his decision back to April 11, same day as Shabazz.

Quote Originally Posted by NashvilleDevil View Post
    Parker has moved his decision back to April 11, same day as Shabazz.
    Well dang. These kids man, get over yourselves. Jason Williams said it great last night. The guys don't care about winning championships. The girls go where they feel they are the best fit on a team that can win a national championship, whereas the guys only want to go where they can get a lot of immediate playing time. That's not what hoops is about, but I guess its that way now. Just gotta play the game the NCAA set up and play it as well as you can.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukehky View Post
    Well dang. These kids man, get over yourselves. Jason Williams said it great last night. The guys don't care about winning championships. The girls go where they feel they are the best fit on a team that can win a national championship, whereas the guys only want to go where they can get a lot of immediate playing time. That's not what hoops is about, but I guess its that way now. Just gotta play the game the NCAA set up and play it as well as you can.
    I don't see how Parker moving his announce date to April 11 elicited this response?