Page 40 of 64 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    I echo the comments that some folks have made that perception is reality. People who have an inkling in one direction are going to find ways to buy into the perceptions that coincide with their feelings. It doesn't matter whether those perceptions are fair or accurate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matches View Post
    ... perception that's not based in reality.
    A common idiom has it that "Seeing is believing." Far less common, but far more important, is the reverse: "Believing is seeing."

The word "perception" complicates the issue, as often "perception" would seem to be a matter of "seeing." But actually "perception" is here better understood as "believing."

Thus, "believing is seeing" means: if recruits perceive/believe Duke doesn't use bigs well, then said recruits "see" this as reality.

There are many, many examples in life of people who believe something so fiercely and fully that no amount of evidence to the contrary will change their minds.

The common observation that "perception is reality" = "believing is seeing."

Quote Originally Posted by j_man View Post
    I wish that were the case, but its a song lyric by Wale.
    It's splitting hairs but the lyrics people appreciate can reveal bunches...

Quote Originally Posted by SupaDave View Post
    Forget what you read - believe half of what you see.

I find the UCLA blog laughable. Duke not in it? This is a kid that didn't return the home state school coach's phone call b/c he was having a "GREAT" conversation with Coach K.

If you've talked to Coach K, or talked to someone who has talked to him, then you know he's a straight shooter. (and I'll add that I went to high school with his daughter and she's the same way) Not only am I sure that Tony and Coach K have discussed these concerns but I also know that Tony has doubts and wants to be sure.

So Duke isn't in it hunh?

*Mother likes Duke
    *They discuss Duke last in round table b/c it's SOMEONE's favorite
    *They see a need at Duke
    *Duke fits the academic profile
    *Duke is very doable for a family that only wants to hit the road occasionally (tickets to Kansas aint cheap in GA)
    "Believe half of what you see." Who do you think I am, Karl Hess? Ted Valentine? (jk)

Seriously, thanks for the reply. It really makes more sense seeing K continuing to work hard on TP and his family considering the amount of time he has been recruiting him and the family's affection for Duke. Not getting lathered up about it but the prospect seems more encouraging now than over the last several months.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

We've had a bit less fortune with the ACC Tourney than we've had in the recent past...
    This part of your argument seems a stretch. Essentially, all you're saying is we didn't win the ACCT in 2007 and 2008. Recruits and people who scream about us not getting recruits don't view 2007 and 2008 as the "recent past."

Depends on what time frame you're considering. I was comparing the "golden age of big men" to the post-Williams era. In that comparison, we've won 3 of the last 6 in the post-Williams era. We won 7 of the 9 in the "golden age."
    Last 8 years Duke has won 5. That is pretty successful.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    This part of your argument seems a stretch. Essentially, all you're saying is we didn't win the ACCT in 2007 and 2008. Recruits and people who scream about us not getting recruits don't view 2007 and 2008 as the "recent past."
    And we didn't win it this year. It's not a stretch. It's just a fact. We won 7 of 9 ACC championships in "the golden age" (not my term, by the way). We won 3 of 6 since. We made 9 Sweet 16s in the golden age. We've made 3 since. We made 3 Final Fours in those 9 years versus 1 since. We made 8 #1 seeds versus 2 since. You can nitpick at particular examples all you want, but the results were simply better in the golden age than they have been since.

That's not to say that we haven't been really good. We certainly have been really good even in the "post golden age." It's just understanding the reality that we haven't been as good in the past 6 years as we were the prior 9. And that's absolutely relevant when you're dealing with kids whose memories aren't as long as ours are.

Quote Originally Posted by NashvilleDevil View Post
    Last 8 years Duke has won 5. That is pretty successful.
    Again, I'm not saying we haven't been really successful. Just saying that the "golden age" was more successful.

And we didn't win it this year. It's not a stretch. It's just a fact. We won 7 of 9 ACC championships in "the golden age" (not my term, by the way). We won 3 of 6 since. We made 9 Sweet 16s in the golden age. We've made 3 since. We made 3 Final Fours in those 9 years versus 1 since. We made 8 #1 seeds versus 2 since. You can nitpick at particular examples all you want, but the results were simply better in the golden age than they have been since.

That's not to say that we haven't been really good. We certainly have been really good even in the "post golden age." It's just understanding the reality that we haven't been as good in the past 6 years as we were the prior 9. And that's absolutely relevant when you're dealing with kids whose memories aren't as long as ours are.

Again, I'm not saying we haven't been really successful. Just saying that the "golden age" was more successful.
    Well the Golden Age won't be coming back because the competition in the ACC is better. No one will win 7 of 9 ACC titles.
    There are plenty of talented kids that Duke can get whether they win the ACC title or not. They may not all be McD's all-americans but you don't have to get those players to win a title. In some cases, I wish we were going after more athletic players that had some flaws versus the so called "can't miss" five star kid. I doubt K would recruit Billy King or Robert Brickey today and I think that is a shame. A kid I really wanted to see Duke get was Justin Anderson. Granted he is a four star kid in his own right, but he doesn't have the can't miss label. Anderson's athleticism is off the charts, but his shot is supposedly lacking. I think he would be perfect for Duke, but the staff seems to look for offensive versatility (shooting) over athleticism when all else is equal.

Quote Originally Posted by dukedoc View Post
    Was this "roundtable" done before or after our tourney exit? Just curious because most seemed to have pinned the "whoa, a loss to Lehigh doesn't look good to me!" tweet (or something like that) on Tony. Just curious about the timing of this conversation.
    It says in the article that the roundtable discussion was during the opening round of the tournament. Article is by Jason Jordan; tweet was to Jason Jordan. I wouldn't be surprised if it was Tony Parker.

That said, I think we're still in the running. We're obviously a favorite of most of his inner circle, and he likes Coach K. Then again, considering how pro-Duke his inner circle is, if he liked Duke as much as he appears to like Kansas or UCLA, this recruitment would be a done deal by now. He's definitely listening to the negative recruiting.

We'll see what wins out: the bright lights of LA, his great Kansas visit, or his parents and coach liking Duke. I would love for him to come to Duke, but when I was 18, I chose Duke because my family was pushing Columbia. So I'm predicting Kansas or UCLA and will be pleasantly surprised if he picks Duke instead.

KU's chances

KU people are thinking they have a real shot at Parker. They believe its around 50/50. They tend to be a fickle fan base so who really knows.

Quote Originally Posted by G man View Post
    KU people are thinking they have a real shot at Parker. They believe its around 50/50. They tend to be a fickle fan base so who really knows.
    I would agree with them. My gut tells me Parker goes to Kansas and Shabazz to UK or UNLV. I really don't think we have a real shot at either (but I admit I'm a pessimist).

Quote Originally Posted by G man View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by coldriver10 View Post
    I would agree with them. My gut tells me Parker goes to Kansas and Shabazz to UK or UNLV. I really don't think we have a real shot at either (but I admit I'm a pessimist).
    I dunno, guys. It looks like Duke has more holes than a Swiss cheese. Lots of playing time available, and you get to play for the coach of the USA National team. And then there's the TV, the education, and much more...

sage

I know this sounds weird, but I think we would be a prime place for these guys for various reasons. We have a fanbase that would be happy with a sweet sixteen for next year. We have a coach that is a legend and the coach of the national team. We have great facilities, tv deals and tons of attention. We have tons of minutes to eat up. Whether these guys come to us or not is another story. In my opinion, you will have a lot farther to fall with UK, KU or OSU after this year. With us, we just want to have a decent year next year... anything else will thrill us. With them, it will hurt to not be at or near the top.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxAMillion View Post
    Well the Golden Age won't be coming back because the competition in the ACC is better. No one will win 7 of 9 ACC titles.
    There are plenty of talented kids that Duke can get whether they win the ACC title or not. They may not all be McD's all-americans but you don't have to get those players to win a title. In some cases, I wish we were going after more athletic players that had some flaws versus the so called "can't miss" five star kid. I doubt K would recruit Billy King or Robert Brickey today and I think that is a shame. A kid I really wanted to see Duke get was Justin Anderson. Granted he is a four star kid in his own right, but he doesn't have the can't miss label. Anderson's athleticism is off the charts, but his shot is supposedly lacking. I think he would be perfect for Duke, but the staff seems to look for offensive versatility (shooting) over athleticism when all else is equal.
    What how do you get that? This is probably the worst the ACC has ever been in its history.

The best sentence in that "article" is:

Parker is scheduled to make his announcement March 28th at the McDonalds All American game in Chicago.
    If Parker actually announces on March 28th and Shabazz Muhammad follows suite on April 10th, I'll be a happy camper. Obviously, I want these guys to pick Duke, but at least the end of their recruitment is in sight. Whether or not they pick Duke, we can all get on with spring and summer and the gnashing of teeth over the standard 1000 summertime topics.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post

If Parker actually announces on March 28th and Shabazz Muhammad follows suite on April 10th, I'll be a happy camper. Obviously, I want these guys to pick Duke, but at least the end of their recruitment is in sight. Whether or not they pick Duke, we can all get on with spring and summer and the gnashing of teeth over the standard 1000 summertime topics.
    You mean the next recruits that everyone will obsess about as being must have, program changing, transformative people? If you thought the Parker/Muhammad hoopla was bad, wait until people really start obsessing in full force over Jabari Parker and Julius Randle.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Right Bob, and I can get back to working on my golf game. GoDuke!
    Last edited by Bob Green; 03-23-2012 at 07:06 PM. Reason: Fix quote tag

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    You mean the next recruits that everyone will obsess about as being must have, program changing, transformative people? If you thought the Parker/Muhammad hoopla was bad, wait until people really start obsessing in full force over Jabari Parker and Julius Randle.
    Yes, those exact topics along with starting line-ups, the rotation, minutes each player will play, the need for change with the assistant coaches, Coach K's eventual successor, pick up ball...
    Bob Green

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Yes, those exact topics along with starting line-ups, the rotation, minutes each player will play, the need for change with the assistant coaches, Coach K's eventual successor, pick up ball...
    Only 3 months until the Summer League at NC Central starts! I am stoked! Get your tail down here sailor and catch a night of summer league ball with me!

You forgot football.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by Gthoma2a View Post
    We have a fanbase that would be happy with a sweet sixteen for next year.
    I think you are severely underestimating our fanbase's capacity for being anywhere close to reasonable. If we get to the Sweet 16 and lose, next year, come read the post-game thread here (or any other Duke fan site) and then tell me how happy everyone is.