Page 35 of 64 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast
    After watching that video of Austin in the other thread, and seeing freshman Austin repeatedly pointing to the spots where he wants Mason to set picks for him, I could imagine a guy like Parker seeing the same video and thinking, "No, thanks."

Quote Originally Posted by loldevilz View Post
    I really think that you are too old to really understand a kid like Tony Parker. I also would like to remind you that Mitch McGary did the same exact thing: saying Duke didn't utilize its big men before choosing Michigan. The older folk here need to understand that these kids only know what they see. Since they've been following college basketball which can't be much more than 10 years, Duke has had good, but flawed teams that have generally weak post players and a lot of shooters. I really feel that fans (and coaches) need to come to terms with that. No matter how much you think that Coach K could use a player like Elton Brand, it probably doesn't mean anything to a player who has never watched Brand in college. The fact that we are competing with schools that have put good big men in the league or have great college big men doesn't help things at all.
    Umm.. K has surely shown Tony Parker tapes of Elton Brand, Carlos Boozer, etc. So he's seen Duke use a big man. And he's been recruited for 2 years. If he truly had that opinion of Duke, then why did he consider them for so long? Clearly, he bought into the kool-aid somewhere along the line and changed his thinking. So it's not a matter of what he "sees" it's a matter of who he listens to. And clearly, he's listening to others.

My opinion is that he is eating up all of OSU's bs because he really sees himself as the second coming of the vastly overrated and always charming Jared Sullinger.

I really think that you are too old to really understand a kid like Tony Parker. I also would like to remind you that Mitch McGary did the same exact thing: saying Duke didn't utilize its big men before choosing Michigan. The older folk here need to understand that these kids only know what they see. Since they've been following college basketball which can't be much more than 10 years, Duke has had good, but flawed teams that have generally weak post players and a lot of shooters. I really feel that fans (and coaches) need to come to terms with that. No matter how much you think that Coach K could use a player like Elton Brand, it probably doesn't mean anything to a player who has never watched Brand in college. The fact that we are competing with schools that have put good big men in the league or have great college big men doesn't help things at all.
    If I'm not mistaken, Parker was said to be deciding between Ohio State, Memphis, UCLA and Duke. Maybe I'm forgetting someone. But of those three others - OSU, Memphis, and UCLA - who are the "good big men" that they put in the league and who are the "great college big men" who played recently at those schools?

I'll give you Sullinger as a very good college big man for OSU. Do you really think any HS recruits now look to a guy like Greg Oden, who played for one season five years ago and is for all intents and purposes out of basketball now, and say to themselves, "that's how I see myself?" Who else for Ohio State and the other two schools? Of recent vintage, that is?

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, Parker was said to be deciding between Ohio State, Memphis, UCLA and Duke. Maybe I'm forgetting someone. But of those three others - OSU, Memphis, and UCLA - who are the "good big men" that they put in the league and who are the "great college big men" who played recently at those schools?

I'll give you Sullinger as a very good college big man for OSU. Do you really think any HS recruits now look to a guy like Greg Oden, who played for one season five years ago and is for all intents and purposes out of basketball now, and say to themselves, "that's how I see myself?" Who else for Ohio State and the other two schools? Of recent vintage, that is?
    I think we tend to weight overall success a little too much relative to where guys got drafted, when we try to think like a 17 year-old recruit. You hear a lot more comments like "Coach X is great at getting people drafted" than "Coach X is great at preparing players for long, solid careers in the NBA", for better or worse.

As for OSU... since recruits were 12, they've had Oden as an All-American center in '07 who was the #1 overall pick (whose career was of course derailed by injury). He was replaced by Koufos in '08, who averaged just shy of 15 PPG and was drafted in the first round as a one-and-done (and just signed an extension with the Nuggets). In '09, they had BJ Mullens, who ended up being their third straight one-and-done first round draft pick (and is getting burn in Charlotte). In '11 and '12 they've had Sullinger as a featured star and lottery pick. 2010 was the one season during that stretch that they didn't featured a first-round big guy, and that team had Evan Turner.

KU, another school Tony is looking at, has arguably had even more impressive success developing and featuring college bigs and getting them drafted under Danny Manning during that period, especially given the players they've done it with.

I don't mean to feed into a perception that hurts Duke, but certain schools have done an exceptional job of featuring big men and getting them drafted during recruits' brief time paying attention. On the other hand, Duke hasn't had a post player drafted in the first round since Shelden Williams, and the only year in that span when we've really featured a post player on offense was when the #1 RSCI player scored 13 PPG as a sophomore. I personally think that Duke would present a terrific opportunity for a talented post recruit right now, but I understand that it could require a little faith.

I don't know if that's how HS recruits think and neither do you. But Parker, like McGary, has stated clearly that he has some reservations about how Duke uses its bigs. To me that indicates that showing Parker how great Brand was in 98-99 probably didn't make a big impression.

I also based my assertion about recent bigs because Parker explicitly stated how he liked the way Sullinger was used and he could see himself in a similar role. Parker has also been compared to Kevin Love due to his rebounding abilities.

I don't know if that's how HS recruits think and neither do you. But Parker, like McGary, has stated clearly that he has some reservations about how Duke uses its bigs. To me that indicates that showing Parker how great Brand was in 98-99 probably didn't make a big impression.

I also based my assertion about recent bigs because Parker explicitly stated how he liked the way Sullinger was used and he could see himself in a similar role. Parker has also been compared to Kevin Love due to his rebounding abilities.
    Best of luck to TP. I'm sure Duke and TP will cross paths at some point. Will make for interesting viewing.

McGary

McGary has to be second guessing his decision right now. Three UM players transferring including one starter, two senior starters graduating and leading scorer Trey Burke is supposedly one foot out the door (as his father says, "he's got juice right now"). Hardaway Jr. is good, but if Burke leaves they will struggle next year. McGary won't need to worry about PT though...

Remember, we're still talking about kids. They don't always say what they're really thinking. They filter the world through a very limited set of life experiences. And they aren't always surrounded with people who have their best interests at heart.

So please temper your expectations of them, and give them the benefit of the doubt. K will do what's worked for Duke for the last 30 years, and telling kids merely what they want to hear will never be on the agenda.

And, yes, we'll miss on kids who will only go where coaches pander. That won't be Duke.

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by DukieTiger View Post
    Umm.. K has surely shown Tony Parker tapes of Elton Brand, Carlos Boozer, etc. So he's seen Duke use a big man. And he's been recruited for 2 years. If he truly had that opinion of Duke, then why did he consider them for so long? Clearly, he bought into the kool-aid somewhere along the line and changed his thinking. So it's not a matter of what he "sees" it's a matter of who he listens to. And clearly, he's listening to others.

My opinion is that he is eating up all of OSU's bs because he really sees himself as the second coming of the vastly overrated and always charming Jared Sullinger.
    Yes he probably has shown TP those tapes but TP has also watched live for the past four years of how the bigs are just setting screens. Also the here and now matter more than the past to kids.

Great history, constant exposure, hall of fame coach, basketball power, amazing academics, beautiful campus, etc, etc... Maybe he hasn't chosen yet because he is unsure of his role in the offense at Duke.

Not necessarily true, he could be listening to coach and liking everything he is hearing but then he watches the games and Mason and Miles are primarily setting screens for Austin and Seth.

Tony has spoken of A) watching how bigs were used this year and B) how the players of each team worked together this year... if it truly operated like a family. I am not sure either of these were particularly strong points of the 2011-2012 Blue Devils.

I know he would succeed here at Duke and I know K would prepare him across the board like no other coach. However, I am not sure that will happen.

One other note; it is amazing to me how much more hype surrounds the last players to sign. Tony is rated by most services as just on the fringe of the top 20 recruits. Did anyone make such a big deal over Robert Carter going to GTech, or the more highly ranked Grant Jarrett going to Arizona? It is interesting to see how much of a role that plays in the recruitment process, and even in the expectations of those players. I remember there being HUGE hype around Lance when he was preparing to sign, far more than the other players at his level.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    One other note; it is amazing to me how much more hype surrounds the last players to sign. Tony is rated by most services as just on the fringe of the top 20 recruits. Did anyone make such a big deal over Robert Carter going to GTech, or the more highly ranked Grant Jarrett going to Arizona? It is interesting to see how much of a role that plays in the recruitment process, and even in the expectations of those players. I remember there being HUGE hype around Lance when he was preparing to sign, far more than the other players at his level.
    I completely agree. When you're at the middle school dance and the vast majority of the girls have already paired off with others, the few who remain sitting at the side of the dance floor grow prettier and prettier by the minute.

I also think this phenomenon is exacerbated by our premature tourney exit and the relatively long time since we've had a recruiting commitment of any sort. Those two things make us as a fan base feel vulnerable and needy. We feel like we "need" a commitment from "somebody", nay "anybody". We need to just step back and take the long view. Oh yeah, and also trust K.

UCLA can point to Kevin Love, who is absolutely tearing up the NBA. Also, Luc Richard Mbah a Moute (sp?), although i'm not sure how similar his game is to Parker's. OSU's big-men in the NBA as of late have already been mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    Tony has spoken of A) watching how bigs were used this year and B) how the players of each team worked together this year... if it truly operated like a family. I am not sure either of these were particularly strong points of the 2011-2012 Blue Devils.

I know he would succeed here at Duke and I know K would prepare him across the board like no other coach. However, I am not sure that will happen.

I think Duke fans expectations in recruiting can be a little strange and blue-tinted at times. But Coach K has been going after Tony Parker hard for a couple of years. So in this case the nuttiness is warranted. This is not a "late signer" thing. It's not like Parker is a project or a Desmond Hubert practice player. He could play 20 minutes a game next year and change our offense completely.

AJC and others indicating that Coach K is back in GA visiting Tony. Seems odd. Coach K is principled, so perhaps he is simply following through until the very end on something that he has committed himself to. Certainly seems odd, though, given the multiple recruiting fires he is currently stoking, and the seeming deadendedness of this particular pursuit. Perhaps he knows more than we do about this situation.

But Tony is NOT a Top 5 kind of recruit. He is not necessarily a instant impact sort of fellow.

Rakeem Christmas, who was rated around the same spot, averaged about 3 pts a game this year. J. Stokes averaged around 10 a game this year. C. Behanan also averaged around 10 pts a game this year. None of those guys are "game changers" or "team changers." Now, every player is different, and maybe more importantly every SITUATION is different, but I am not sure expecting Tony to be a dominant player is reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by dukedoc View Post
    AJC and others indicating that Coach K is back in GA visiting Tony. Seems odd. Coach K is principled, so perhaps he is simply following through until the very end on something that he has committed himself to. Certainly seems odd, though, given the multiple recruiting fires he is currently stoking, and the seeming deadendedness of this particular pursuit. Perhaps he knows more than we do about this situation.
    Maybe this is some kind of bizarro recruiting situation. Instead of getting glowing praise from a recruit who blows us off, we'll get dissed by a guy who finally signs with us.

Well, UCLA had a bad season and Howland may be on thin ice if he repeats this season next year. Their roster has the following bigs - Stover - C - Jr., two Wears - F - Jr., Josh Smith - C - Jr., Lane - F - Sr.

Ohio State could see Sullinger come back and their only senior is Buford, a guard. So most of that frontline rotation (with Sullinger likely gone) is back.

Memphis is not exactly a huge program, but Parker could play big minutes there in non-televised games. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

So regardless of what people on this board think may be Parker's attitude, Coach K's still after him. And if Mason goes pro, Coach K has a combined 48.9 minutes opening up in the 4-5 rotation with Miles and Mason gone.

I would not give up on Mr. Parker just yet. I would not sweat it either!

Perhaps he's responding to the perceptions that Parker has and wanting to give one more sales pitch. Coach K knows how to deal with people, and he presumably knows this kid. Given the duration of time he's invested in recruiting Parker, I'm sure he thinks it is important to make sure everyone understands each other before the kid makes perhaps the biggest decision of his life so far, and to clear up any potential misconceptions Parker may have (or try to address any negatives about Duke).

There's certainly something to be said for "knowing when your goose is cooked." But perhaps Coach K doesn't feel like the goose is cooked. Or perhaps he just feels it's important to make sure he gives it everything he's got.

Another possibility is that he's simply taking his last chance to discuss with a recruit why that recruit doesn't want to go to Duke. In business, I can go call a client after losing a proposal and ask why we lost it. I don't think you can do that in college athletics. I doubt that's the reason, but it's a remote possibility.

I suspect that he's simply going in to set the record straight and make one last strong sales pitch. As Miles has intimated, Coach K is pretty good at sales pitches ("he just makes you want to run through a wall for him").

Quote Originally Posted by slower View Post
    Maybe this is some kind of bizarro recruiting situation. Instead of getting glowing praise from a recruit who blows us off, we'll get dissed by a guy who finally signs with us.
    Nice. Very very subtle.

Parker

I worry that Parker will disappoint, wherever he goes. He's not the second coming of Brand, Boozer, or Sulllinger. He's not going to be the focal point of a top ten team next year (maybe a year or two after that). Because he's still uncommitted, people are overrating him, just like they did with Lance.

So in some sense I think we'd be better off if he went elsewhere.