Page 29 of 64 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast
    When I saw Parker and Poythress as AAU teammates this past summer, I thought Pothress much the better player. I haven't yet fully gotten over my disappointment that Duke quit recruiting him; and his decision to attend UK didn't help.

But I was quite impressed with Parker this evening, in the parts of the game I saw. Aggressive in calling for the ball, back-to-basket, pretty good footwork, seemed confident and competent at FT-line, strong rebounder. I didn't fully understand K's enthusiasm for him, except for the obvious concern re possibly/probably losing Mason along with Miles. I think I understand it now.

I really liked what I saw from Parker against Oak Hill. He plays on a team, and SupaDave alluded to this in an earlier post, that likes to run. They are very much an up and down team but in the half-court it is get the ball to Tony on the low block. And once he gets it he looks hellbent on scoring. He looks like he'd be what my coaches used to call a puddin, a really big guy that is slow and just takes up space, but he plays really strong, has nice footwork and showed some nice follow ups and had one monster dunk. It was my first time seeing him play and I came away impressed. I could see him fitting in with Duke's wing/guard oriented offense.

If he doesn't come I don't think it kills Duke though. I think redshirting Marshall Plumlee and Alex Murphy circumvents the loss of Miles and Mason a bit. I think of all the programs recruiting him the one that really needs him more is UCLA. They are just a hot mess right now. I've got to wonder if Ben Howland could be on the hot seat if this year continues the way it is going. They need to strike big in recruiting and Jordan Adams of course has the oligatory, "my bro is coming with me," talk. And I'm sure deep down he is hoping as hard as Howland is that Parker goes to the Bruins just to upgrade the talent there, cause both would likely play significant minutes if not start off the bat. Guess it just depends on if starting and trying to lead a rebuilding program means that much to him.

Kansas now involved in "wide open" recruitment

Oy. Zags has an article up indicating the Kansas is now right in it for TP, and Tony agreeing that his recruitment is "wide open."

http://www.zagsblog.com/2011/12/20/k...er/#more-63625

Tony was on recruiting nation and they asked him who was on his "narrowed" list. Duke, Ohio State, UCLA, Memphis, Gtown, Kansas, Georgia, Uconn and UK (Not really very narrow or new). But for those who like to cling to every little bit of hope he chooses Duke when they asked who was on his list he quickly said Duke, Ohio State and then named the rest but paused before naming each one. So Duke and Ohio State would seem to be freshest in his mind. I am not a fan of his recruitment and have said I would prefer to save the scholarship for another big but I will take any recruit who wants to be here.

Quote Originally Posted by JNort View Post
    Tony was on recruiting nation and they asked him who was on his "narrowed" list. Duke, Ohio State, UCLA, Memphis, Gtown, Kansas, Georgia, Uconn and UK (Not really very narrow or new). But for those who like to cling to every little bit of hope he chooses Duke when they asked who was on his list he quickly said Duke, Ohio State and then named the rest but paused before naming each one. So Duke and Ohio State would seem to be freshest in his mind. I am not a fan of his recruitment and have said I would prefer to save the scholarship for another big but I will take any recruit who wants to be here.
    By all accounts, the staff continue to chase Parker. I suspect he's going to wait to see who declares for the draft and find the best place to play immediately. Good for him. I'd do the same if I were coming out as a top 20 prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    By all accounts, the staff continue to chase Parker. I suspect he's going to wait to see who declares for the draft and find the best place to play immediately. Good for him. I'd do the same if I were coming out as a top 20 prospect.
    I think this is a pretty good take on the matter. I think the draft decisions of both Sullinger and Mason will play a BIG role in where Parker decides to attend college
    Coach K on Kyle Singler - "What position does he play? ... He plays winner."

"Duke is never the underdog" - Quinn Cook

Quote Originally Posted by tbyers11 View Post
    I think this is a pretty good take on the matter. I think the draft decisions of both Sullinger and Mason will play a BIG role in where Parker decides to attend college
    Makes sense to me. With Hairston's play of late, I'm not sure Parker would even get in the rotation his freshman year if Mason returned (behind Mason, Kelly, and Hairston and competing with Marshall). That might sound like impatience on his part, but we're recruiting a very similar type of player to Parker in Okafor for 2014 who could likely start over him in (2014-15) if they were both on the roster. That would give him just one year (2013-2014) to show his stuff.

We're also looking at several bigs in 2013 (J. Parker, Randle, maybe others). Kinda strange how our frontcourt is crowded and lacking all at the same time. But I agree that Mason returning is key.

The deadline for declaring for the draft isn't until like April or May, right? That seems kind of late for a recruit to decide considering summer session starts just a couple weeks after that.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    We're also looking at several bigs in 2013 (J. Parker, Randle, maybe others). Kinda strange how our frontcourt is crowded and lacking all at the same time. But I agree that Mason returning is key.

The deadline for declaring for the draft isn't until like April or May, right? That seems kind of late for a recruit to decide considering summer session starts just a couple weeks after that.
    April 29th is the declare deadline. May 8th is the withdrawl deadline.

You really think Mason isn't coming back? Sullinger I can see as being gone but Mason...I dunno.

Quote Originally Posted by PADukeMom View Post
    You really think Mason isn't coming back? Sullinger I can see as being gone but Mason...I dunno.
    I personally think both Mason and Austin are coming back, and that Amile will take our last open scholarship spot (meaning this thread will become moot).

Quote Originally Posted by Li_Duke View Post
    I personally think both Mason and Austin are coming back, and that Amile will take our last open scholarship spot (meaning this thread will become moot).
    Not sure about Amile, but definitely agree about Mason and Austin.

Austin: he has no reason to leave early. His offense has certainly come around, but he probably needs another year to really develop his defense and decision-making. If he left today, he would be a borderline lottery pick. Next year, with improvement and a weaker draft class, he could easily be top 5.

Mason: Super athletic, has showed that he can rebound score frequently against shorter and sub-par defenders. Right now, he is a late-round one candidate. If he stays and further develops a back-to-the-basket move, a (possibly) short range jumper, and hits 60%+ of his free throws, there is a strong chance that he becomes lottery. Plus, why not mentor your brother for a year?
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

I'll almost guarantee that Austin comes back. He loves Duke and loves being the 'hated' target. He just has developed so much under K that he would be incredibly dumb to go ride the bench in the pros. Only way he goes is if his dad thinks he can draft him, but I don't see Doc coaching that much longer so I'm not sure even that would make sense.
    Mason I'm less sure about but I still see him coming back to go for a title. We'll be stacked next year having all the seniors.
    Personally, and hopefully the mods don't penalize me for this like they do on lots of random opinion stuff, would rather have one of the dominant bigs from '13 than parker. Plus my gut says Parker is headed to fill in for Sullinger after this year.

If you are going to be a first round pick, why would you ever come back? You can improve in the NBA while getting paid just as well as you can at Duke and with no papers to write.

I dont see either guy playing their way into the top 5. Mason just is not a top 5 caliber player, and Austin only would if he were to move 100% to the point which wont happen because of the makeup of our roster. Additionally, if you go 15-25 in the draft you get on a playoff team and avoid Charlotte, New Orleans, NJ etc. The difference in salary from being 10th vs. 20th in the draft is not so much and guys are playing for that 2nd and 3rd contract anyway, not for the rookie contract.

I'd take the money and run. As a fan I would bless both guys going pro - that is their ultimate dream.

If you are going to be a first round pick, why would you ever come back? You can improve in the NBA while getting paid just as well as you can at Duke and with no papers to write.

I dont see either guy playing their way into the top 5. Mason just is not a top 5 caliber player, and Austin only would if he were to move 100% to the point which wont happen because of the makeup of our roster. Additionally, if you go 15-25 in the draft you get on a playoff team and avoid Charlotte, New Orleans, NJ etc. The difference in salary from being 10th vs. 20th in the draft is not so much and guys are playing for that 2nd and 3rd contract anyway, not for the rookie contract.

I'd take the money and run. As a fan I would bless both guys going pro - that is their ultimate dream.
    I agree with you about Mason or Austin being a top 5 pick this year; but I would argue that both should stay to improve their draft stock. I think both players would be mid to late first round picks in this year's draft; however, I think Austin could be top 5 pick next year if he stayed another year and continued his progression under K and I think Mason has a chance to be a lottery pick next year as well for the same reasons. There is a big difference in money for player picked in the lottery than a player picked in the mid to late first round. And for those reasons, I would stay another year, invest in myself and reap increased financial rewards next year, even if I get drafted by a team like Charlotte or NJ.

As far as Parker is concerned, I think if Mason stays Parker does not come to Duke. OSU looks like the best bet for Parker imo because I think Sullinger is gone to the NBA after this season. His draft stock will never be higher imo.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePublisher View Post
    I'll almost guarantee that Austin comes back. He loves Duke and loves being the 'hated' target. He just has developed so much under K that he would be incredibly dumb to go ride the bench in the pros. Only way he goes is if his dad thinks he can draft him, but I don't see Doc coaching that much longer so I'm not sure even that would make sense.
    Mason I'm less sure about but I still see him coming back to go for a title. We'll be stacked next year having all the seniors.
    Personally, and hopefully the mods don't penalize me for this like they do on lots of random opinion stuff, would rather have one of the dominant bigs from '13 than parker. Plus my gut says Parker is headed to fill in for Sullinger after this year.
    These conversations always seem very odd to me, as every team argues that their players should come back and that the other teams players should always leave early. Almost always.

s.i.

Quote Originally Posted by Class of '94 View Post
    I agree with you about Mason or Austin being a top 5 pick this year; but I would argue that both should stay to improve their draft stock.
    People said the same thing with Kyle and he slipped to the second round in an effort to improve his draft stock (in addition to graduating/competing for another NCAA championship, which are certainly worthwhile reasons). Kyle is now playing in Spain and succeeding there (and getting paid well), but I'd guess he'd prefer being in the NBA. After being the 2010 MOP of the Final Four, he was projected as a first rounder.

As fans, it's easy for us to say, "They have a lot to work on. The NBA can wait; it will always be there for them" when we're not actually in that situation ourselves. The NBA does punish those older players that seemed to have potential early on, but don't match it completely. It's not fair, but it's how it works. I think Mason will be gone and Austin will come back, but that's speculation. Mason is on pace to graduate after this year and apparently he's been on a three-year plan the whole time. Austin seems to be projected in the 15-25 range, and he stated before the season that it was his goal to be ready for the NBA in one year, but I just feel like he'll want to come back. I certainly won't begrudge them if they choose to go pro, and will cheer for them throughout their careers wherever the path may take them.

I disagree with this. Kyrie is making $5.1 million this year. Jimmy Butler, who was drafted last, makes $1.0 million. That is a $4.1 million difference. From the money perspective, you want to be drafted early. Furthermore, do you think you can improve more under Coach K or Paul Silas (Bobcats coach and the team with the best odds to pick first). Plus, let's face it - If you don't want to study at Duke, it's really not that hard to find jock classes. I took one at Duke and there is virtually no work involved (that said, getting an A is surprisingly difficult in these classes. Getting a C is easy).

There are many reasons to come back to school. Dozens of Duke players took that rout despite being first round picks (or even lottery picks). If you're good and talented, the $ will be there.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Starting salaries for 1st-round picks:
    5th: $2,812,200
    10th: $1,865,300
    15th: $1,443,300
    20th: $1,134,500
    25th: $925,100

Without factoring in things like team options, compare what that means for the 20th pick versus the 10th pick (based upon the 2011 draft, which includes a slightly more aggressive salary increase scale than the new bargaining agreement uses, but the principles remain the same):
    First three years of 20th pick pay: $3.55M
    First two years of 10th pick pay: $3.8M (and $5.8M over the first three years)

So, coming out a year later and going 10th will still net you more money in two years than you would make at the 20th pick in three years. You'd net $2.2M more in your first contract, assuming you get the third year. (And if you don't assume you're going to get a third year, you'll want more guaranteed money the first two years.)

Yes, the top players are trying to get to that second contract, but that second contract doesn't always work out if you're not a top-tier player. End up in a bad situation or get injured and you may not get playing time, which means a weak second contract, if any at all.

The situation will be different for Austin and Mason. Austin has a chance to play himself into a top 5 pick, so he has even more incentive to try to get that bump. The flip side is that the NBA is more suited to his game, and given all the money his dad has made, he's got a substantial safety net if something bad happens.

As for Mason, I've seen him as low as 25th in mock drafts, which is dangerously close to slipping to the second round and getting a non-guaranteed contract. Both have might have reasons to come back, depending on how the season plays out.

I think Austin could be a lottery pick this year. There's a lot of season left and he's made steady improvement all year. If the team goes far and he continues playing well, his stock will be high and it might make sense to go. Also this year is a weak class for point guards. Even though he's playing as an off-guard with us, if he can show enough point guard skills then I think someone would take him.