Page 20 of 64 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by wilko View Post
    If Parker doesn't want to be at Duke, then he needs to go ahead and do what hes gonna do. I'm disappointed, but that's life. It happens. I get tired of the drama. Makes me appreciate like guys 'Sheed and Jones even more cuz they know what the want and don't drag it out.

No hate on TP, I wish him well whichever he chooses. Just go do it already.
    Oh, come now. Who are any of us to say that he's intentionally dragging things out. How do any of us know that he's not really torn about the decision and spending time talking to family/friends/coaches about what he should do.

It's a big decision. Give recruits their space and let them do it in their own time. He should be on his own timeline, not that of fans who just want to know.

Thanks Kedsy. Useful info.

First, I think many here are losing focus of the string - Tony Parker and his recruitment. All the hand-wringing and complaining about Duke's big man recruiting is just a sidebar discussion (and maybe not 100% constructive). Yes, Duke hasn't had a strong on-court interior focus for a few years, but that is a bit of a red herring. That's because it is an EFFECT and not the CAUSE of the recruiting misses of Monroe, Patterson, Adams, McG, etc. K is masterful at adapting to optimize the players on-hand. so I always chuckle at the NC-CH and MI and UK attacks on us as being perimeter oriented, because if we had won a couple of those recruiting wars for top-flight bigs then there is zero doubt inn my mind that we'd have been played more interior-oriented strategies. We are seeing that this year with the strength on Mason on the interior. And there is zero doubt that we would see it with a big like TP policing the interior too. But, then again, those punch-lines about Duke bigs as pick-setters are really just targeted at the recruits, as most serious fans understand what I described above to be the case.

While I subscribe to the "we'll be just fine" school of thought (and K and staff are aware of that perception and already addressing it), I do understand the concern that we have as we just simply near-missed on some of the very top interior bigs in the last few years. From Kedsey's list, I guess the concern causing all of the hand-wringing here is that the BEST back-to-basket players signed by each of those programs was: Duke - 18, U-con - 2, KY - 1/3, GT - 6 (Monroe could and did play a bunch of back-to-basket there), OSU - 1, And I might add that NC has a couple of top-10 bigs in those years that might be considered applicable. So, yes, among those elite programs we might be considered the most successful of the bunch at recruiting guards/wings, but less successful with interior bigs. But again, these things can go in waves, and if Duke grabs Tony, Jabari Parker and Randle over the next couple years then that silliness goes away (at least for a while).

But the important/relevant track record for the recruits to notice is K's history of adjusting the team's style to optimize the talent he has to work with in a given year. It is just happenstance that over the last few years the balance of the talent at Duke was tilted in the guard direction. With TP and Randle that will change! Obviously.

As Kedsy points out, Duke has truly been among the elite, overall, wrt overall recruiting success - something that isn't as much of a "given" as some here seem to think.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Just went through the RSCI. Here's a more detailed and complete list of "tall recruits" since 2006 (top 100 only):

Code:
    School   Player   Rank   back-to-the-basket type?
    ------   ------   ----   -------------------------
    Duke     Thomas   20     no
    Duke     Zoubek   25     yes
    Duke     Singler   5     no
    Duke     Czyz     66     no
    Duke     MP1      81     yes
    Duke     Kelly    14     no
    Duke     MP2      18     yes
    Duke     Hairston 32     no
    Duke     Murphy   49*    no
    Duke     MP3      61     yes
    UConn    Robinson 18     no
    UConn    C Kelly  30     no
    UConn    Majok    74     no?
    UConn    Oriakhi  16     ??
    UConn    Daniels  32     no
    UConn    Drummond  2**   yes 
    Kentucky Stevenson 57    ??
    Kentucky Patterson 9     no
    Kentucky Cousins   3     yes
    Kentucky Orton    19     yes
    Kentucky Kanter    7     didn't play
    Kentucky T Jones  11     no
    Kentucky Davis     1     ??
    Kentucky Wiltjer  19     yes?
    Ohio St  Oden      1     yes
    Ohio St  Koufos   12     yes
    Ohio St  Lauderdale 70   yes?
    Ohio St  Mullins   8     yes
    Ohio St  Sullinger 2     yes
    Ohio St  L Ross   44     no
    Ohio St  A Williams 50   ??
    G-town   Macklin  16     no
    G-town   Summers  26     no
    G-town   Monroe    6     no
    G-town   H Sims   51     ??
    G-town   Braswell 71     no
    G-town   Lubick   42     no
    G-town   Porter   34     ??
    G-town   Adams    80     yes
    G-town   Hopkins  98     ??
    * - Murphy was around 15 before he re-classified
    ** - Drummond was #2 2012 prospect before he re-classified

I haven't seen enough of some of these guys to classify them as back-to-the-basket types or not. Plus it's hard with guys like Oriakhi, Majok and even Davis, who don't seem to have any kind of polished offensive game at all.

So, from what I can see, only Ohio State can claim to be connecting with big, highly ranked back-to-the-basket types at a significantly better rate than Duke. Maybe Kentucky, but I would argue that Calipari is simply the best recruiter in the country for all types and that includes bigs.

But even if that's not true, I personally don't see the point in dwelling on what we're "missing" as opposed to what we're getting. We consistently have one of the top recruiting classes in the country, which means our teams will be good. So what's wrong with that? Do you expect to get all top five kids every year? If the only thing that mattered was recruiting, I don't know how interested I'd be.
    Last edited by -bdbd; 12-07-2011 at 02:47 PM.

BTW, any recent word on when TP is expecting to post a final decision?

A back to the basket big is great, but limits the team to a more slowed down, half court offense. On the other hand, guys like Mason are more versatile and don't lock us into any particular style of play. Look at last year when Kyrie was healthy and we were the best team in the nation playing an extremely up tempo style. When Kyrie went down, we had to slow things down a bit, but we still had the versatility to be successful in half court sets. Personally, I'd rather have the higher rated, non-traditional big than the lower-rated, back-to-the-basket banger. And unless it's a top 5-10 rated guy, I'd rather have a big who can be a solid role player and compliment the stars on the team. I just don't want a traditional big for the sake of having one on the team if it means we get locked into a particular style that might not suit the rest of our personnel.

Quote Originally Posted by dcdevil2009 View Post
    A back to the basket big is great, but limits the team to a more slowed down, half court offense. On the other hand, guys like Mason are more versatile and don't lock us into any particular style of play. Look at last year when Kyrie was healthy and we were the best team in the nation playing an extremely up tempo style. When Kyrie went down, we had to slow things down a bit, but we still had the versatility to be successful in half court sets. Personally, I'd rather have the higher rated, non-traditional big than the lower-rated, back-to-the-basket banger. And unless it's a top 5-10 rated guy, I'd rather have a big who can be a solid role player and compliment the stars on the team. I just don't want a traditional big for the sake of having one on the team if it means we get locked into a particular style that might not suit the rest of our personnel.
    Or, we could get a guy who can do both..? I mean, i hate to say it, but for the past couple of years the team down the road has produced such bigs. Specifically im talking about Hansboro and Zeller. Both guys who could run the floor and play that fast paced push-it offense roy loves to run, but could/can also slow it down, get the feed, put on a post-move and finish it (maybe with a travel or two in there). And there have been plenty of other players at other programs in the last decade that can do that too. And dont get me wrong, Mason is definately getting there and much improved, but to me (and i might be alone in this) hes not great in the post yet. he seems almost robotic, like he predetermines his post move and uses it even if its not there. Compare him to say Ryan who is so good with his shot fakes and getting defenders to commit to his move before he commits to it.

Also im sorry this has nothing to do with tony parkers recruitment, I hate when recruiting threads get offf topic (im a recruiting junkie) but i felt i needed to add something. Back to Tony!
    Last edited by jennja01; 12-07-2011 at 03:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by -bdbd View Post
    BTW, any recent word on when TP is expecting to post a final decision?

I have not seen anything in print but thought someone said by this week.

When I think of all the programs being batted around her like Memphis, Georgetown, Kentucky,Ohio State I can see how each was able to get in a solid big man or be on their radar for one. And as a result they became a contender. But even though Duke has lost out on some of those guys (Monroe, Patterson etc..) how many of those other programs have won a title recently with those bigs?
    http://www.dukesportsblog.com/

Twitter: @MikeKlineDSB

Facebook: Duke Sports Blog

Quote Originally Posted by wilko View Post
    If Parker doesn't want to be at Duke, then he needs to go ahead and do what hes gonna do. I'm disappointed, but that's life. It happens. I get tired of the drama. Makes me appreciate like guys 'Sheed and Jones even more cuz they know what the want and don't drag it out.

No hate on TP, I wish him well whichever he chooses. Just go do it already.
    As far as I can tell, the drama is with some of the posters on this board.

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    I have not seen anything in print but thought someone said by this week.
    Someone earlier in the thread said they had heard, or they thought, he was announcing Dec. 9. But I think the last thing he said, when he announced he wouldn't choose in the fall, was that he would probably wait until spring.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    No meltdowns please...
    Ok, ever since this post on 12/06 the tone of this thread has moved to assuming we're not getting Parker. Yet I haven't seen any actual evidence to support this. The only recent news I've seen posted was a tweet from Parker himself suggesting there's no leader among the schools. What am I missing?

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Ok, ever since this post on 12/06 the tone of this thread has moved to assuming we're not getting Parker. Yet I haven't seen any actual evidence to support this. The only recent news I've seen posted was a tweet from Parker himself suggesting there's no leader among the schools. What am I missing?
    Nothing. There's no news. Just people getting worked up based on Jason's post.
    WWJDD?

Quote Originally Posted by MulletMan View Post
    And Airowe tweeted a couple days ago that it looks like Parker is going somewhere other than Duke.
    "I don't like them when they are eating my azaleas or rhododendrons or pansies." - Coach K

Quote Originally Posted by gam7 View Post
    And Airowe tweeted a couple days ago that it looks like Parker is going somewhere other than Duke.
    Yup, I saw that as well.

Quote Originally Posted by gam7 View Post
    I'm with Old Phi Kap. I'm going to wait until Parker announces he is not coming to Duke before I go into meltdown mode.
    “Those two kids, they’re champions,” Krzyzewski said of his senior leaders. “They’re trying to teach the other kids how to become that, and it’s a long road to become that.”

Well,...

Quote Originally Posted by NSDukeFan View Post
    I'm with Old Phi Kap. I'm going to wait until Parker announces he is not coming to Duke before I go into meltdown mode.
    Here's my advice, offered by other sages many years ago: "If you don't know you're winning, you're losing." I.e., good news travels a lot faster than bad news.

sagegrouse

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Here's my advice, offered by other sages many years ago: "If you don't know you're winning, you're losing." I.e., good news travels a lot faster than bad news.

sagegrouse
    Sage advice...

sagegrouse
    Should I be yelling and screaming and in full meltdown mode now then?
    “Those two kids, they’re champions,” Krzyzewski said of his senior leaders. “They’re trying to teach the other kids how to become that, and it’s a long road to become that.”

Quote Originally Posted by NSDukeFan View Post
    Should I be yelling and screaming and in full meltdown mode now then?
    If the shoe fits,...

Kindly,

Sagegrouse

Quote Originally Posted by MulletMan View Post
    There may not be any concrete news, but this isn't true.

sagegrouse
    As the great twentieth century philosopher Reese Bobby said, "if you ain't first, you're last."