Page 13 of 64 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast
    20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    All, Please get back on topic and leave the other stuff out of this thread. Tony Parker is an important recruit for Duke and this thread is about him. Please keep the focus there. I have deleted several off-topic and inflammatory posts.

Any solid expectations as to when TP will announce?

Am I misreading or has then info flow gine a bit silent in the last week or so? I'd certainly have loved to have heard by the early signing period, but still believe that we look good with Tony. I think he's really important to us on several level, so I've got everything crossed on this one...

BTW, what other school are we the most worried about with him? OSU? Memphis? UCLA?

Yeah, not much chatter. At last check it sounded like December was when he was planning to decide and announce, subsequently signing on the dotted line in the late period. People still seem positive about Duke's chances with OSU apparently the main competition. Personally I still worry about UCLA with the Kyle Anderson ties, but that may just be a smokescreen. Memphis, with the recent commit from Shaq, seems less likely to win the TP sweepstakes, but who knows...

Although I wonder about the merit of projecting a team's 2012-13 style of play by watching 2011-12 games, since people seem to think that is one of the things Tony is waiting on, I've been extra happy about the performance of our big men early on.

Quote Originally Posted by dukedoc View Post
    Although I wonder about the merit of projecting a team's 2012-13 style of play by watching 2011-12 games, since people seem to think that is one of the things Tony is waiting on, I've been extra happy about the performance of our big men early on.
    I have no idea what TP is waiting on. I too have been very very pleased with Masons play so far.

I only hope Miles can find whatever he needs to get to the same place. I like MP1's shooting face-up confidently and productively. If he can JUST find some touch around the rim ..hes not that far away.

The BIGGEST difference so far, I think, is the lack of silly fouls and improved footwork resulting in a conversion attempt as opposed to a turnover from both MP's.

Ohio State

If OSU is Duke's biggest rival for getting Parker, here's what they did in 2011 and what they have lined up for 2012 (big men only). I would assume Sullinger goes pro after this season.

Class of 2011
    C Amir Williams (50 in RSCI)
    C Trey McDonald (not ranked in RSCI)

Class of 2012
    Nobody...

Quote Originally Posted by wilko View Post
    The BIGGEST difference so far, I think, is the lack of silly fouls and improved footwork resulting in a conversion attempt as opposed to a turnover from both MP's.
    There's also a lot more shots to go around with the exodus of Nolan and Kyle after last season. Someone has to shoot!

Kansas signed another big man today in Landen Lucas. Can't imagine they'll be a late player with Parker as some have speculated.

Quote Originally Posted by rotogod00 View Post
    Kansas signed another big man today in Landen Lucas. Can't imagine they'll be a late player with Parker as some have speculated.
    The player they signed is going to be a four year bench/role player. I hope it means he will not look their, but not sure that it will matter.

Quote Originally Posted by G man View Post
    The player they signed is going to be a four year bench/role player. I hope it means he will not look their, but not sure that it will matter.
    Still, their class currently consists of 3 guys 6'8" or taller. Hopefully that's a bit of a deterrent.

Unless something has changed dramatically, Kansas is not a player in the Tony Parker end game. Duke, OSU, and (to a lesser extent) Memphis and UCLA.

-Jason "the consensus seems to be that the longer this draws out the worse it is for Duke... we'll see" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Unless something has changed dramatically, Kansas is not a player in the Tony Parker end game. Duke, OSU, and (to a lesser extent) Memphis and UCLA.

-Jason "the consensus seems to be that the longer this draws out the worse it is for Duke... we'll see" Evans

Read speculation that once Kaleb Tarczewski signed elsewhere they might push harder for Parker. Reading a bit further just now, it appears that's what they did, but with Lucas instead.

Signing late

AJC article quoting Tony Parker

Tony Parker told the AJC that he is “almost positive” that he will wait until at least the middle of the season to make his highly-anticipated decision between Duke, Ohio State, UCLA and Memphis. The late signing period begins in April.

“I want to study and research my schools a little more, watch them play some games, and get a better feel for each of the coaching staffs,” Parker said. “It’s a big decision. I thought I would take some extra time, and my parents agreed. I talked to each of the schools about it, and they’re all fine with me waiting. I will probably commit sometime during the middle of the season.” Parker said he does not have a leader among his finalists.

Not wanting to spark a redux of the debate over whether we need to recruit another big man this year if we don't get TP, does anyone know if we do have a backup plan in mind if we don't get him? Also, might the delay in his decision cause us to ramp up our recruitment of any such backup plan now, since it may be too late to do so by the time TP decides?

Quote Originally Posted by Duke79UNLV77 View Post
    Not wanting to spark a redux of the debate over whether we need to recruit another big man this year if we don't get TP, does anyone know if we do have a backup plan in mind if we don't get him? Also, might the delay in his decision cause us to ramp up our recruitment of any such backup plan now, since it may be too late to do so by the time TP decides?
    Great question. Recruiting seems to be always changing and very fluid. I cannot imagine the coaching staff does not have a backup plan. McGary and Parker have been our main targets, and Parker's decision is kicked out likely a few months, maybe more. I got my ACC area sports journal in the mail this week and it mentioned a few names that Duke was pursuing that we've not seen discussed very widely: Devonta Pollard (SF...and seemingly not addressing the big man need), Anthony Bennett (a wide PF). That's it for Class of 2012, unless someone knows something I dont know.

But take a look at Scout's list. Who is uncommitted and big and a top tier player? That's a short list.

My guess is we could flirt with Bennett for the next few months while waiting on Parker. But our eggs are most likely in the Parker basket and we either get him or move on to the Class of 2013. Bennett is highly ranked so you'd have to either do more than flirt the next few months (which could be an indication the staff is not confident in their status with Parker), or stay focused on Parker.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke79UNLV77 View Post
    If you look back over the 2012 Recruiting string there have been a number of "back-up" prospects rumored at various times, the most recent being (post #2710) Devonta Pollard (6'7" 200 lbs) WF/BF - a top-10-15 ranked prospect in the class. But I think it is most probable that if we miss on TP, then we "play with what we got" and jump heavily on our very promising class for 2013. Duke is looking very solid for a number of top-flight bigs in 2013. After all, Murphy was originally classified as top-20 WF/BF in the 2012 class. And we of course will at least have Murphy, Kelly, Hairston and MP3. Most schools would drool at that list of front-court options.

BTW, Scout does list 3 of their top 4 PF's as still undecided, if Duke were to get interested in any of these 5-star bigs for 2012:
    - Anthony Bennett of Nevada (6'7" 230 lbs)
    - Jarnell Stokes of TN (6'8" 250 lbs)
    - Amile Jefferson of PA (6'9" 200 lbs)

But my money's on "wait til next year and just make do" if TP doesn't come through for us among 2012 bigs. That said, Duke is rumored to be the team to beat there. But who knows...

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    “I want to study and research my schools a little more, watch them play some games, and get a better feel for each of the coaching staffs,” Parker said. “It’s a big decision. I thought I would take some extra time, and my parents agreed.
    Who was that super smart dude that said TP was prooly paying extra attention to the early games? oh yeah it was ME!
    Feeling too darn proud of myself for words...

Who was that super smart dude that said TP was prooly paying extra attention to the early games? oh yeah it was ME!
    It helps to not misspell words when you're declaring yourself to be "super smart." Hah... just giving you a hard time. I do remember you making this point and it appears you were correct. Now we just have to hope that Jared Sullinger does nothing but rebound and set screens for the next couple months 8-)

AJC article quoting Tony Parker

Tony Parker told the AJC that he is “almost positive” that he will wait until at least the middle of the season to make his highly-anticipated decision between Duke, Ohio State, UCLA and Memphis. The late signing period begins in April.

“I want to study and research my schools a little more, watch them play some games, and get a better feel for each of the coaching staffs,” Parker said. “It’s a big decision. I thought I would take some extra time, and my parents agreed. I talked to each of the schools about it, and they’re all fine with me waiting. I will probably commit sometime during the middle of the season.” Parker said he does not have a leader among his finalists.
    Sounds a lot like what Shabazz Muhammad was saying last week.
    http://www.dukesportsblog.com/

Twitter: @MikeKlineDSB

Facebook: Duke Sports Blog

Great question. Recruiting seems to be always changing and very fluid. I cannot imagine the coaching staff does not have a backup plan. McGary and Parker have been our main targets, and Parker's decision is kicked out likely a few months, maybe more. I got my ACC area sports journal in the mail this week and it mentioned a few names that Duke was pursuing that we've not seen discussed very widely: Devonta Pollard (SF...and seemingly not addressing the big man need), Anthony Bennett (a wide PF). That's it for Class of 2012, unless someone knows something I dont know.

But take a look at Scout's list. Who is uncommitted and big and a top tier player? That's a short list.

My guess is we could flirt with Bennett for the next few months while waiting on Parker. But our eggs are most likely in the Parker basket and we either get him or move on to the Class of 2013. Bennett is highly ranked so you'd have to either do more than flirt the next few months (which could be an indication the staff is not confident in their status with Parker), or stay focused on Parker.
    Bennett's already narrowed his list to 10 teams and Duke isn't on there.
    http://tmi.me/ee3JU

Considering that Bennett's a consensus top 10 recruit and much higher ranked than Parker by everyone, looking at him as a backup would almost certainly be unsuccessful anyways.

Feeling too darn proud of myself for words...
    With all of Duke's games being on TV Tony will have plenty of chances to confirm what Coach K has probably been pitching the big man. Plenty of offense to go around down low. Coverage of K's usage of our bigs this year has already been well documented (as much as two games will allow). I don't by into the idea that the longer that TP waits the worse off for Duke's chances to land the recruit (although people were saying whoever got the last OV wins). The coverage of K's win total makes the ESPNU inside access to Duke's program last year look like a High School powerpoint project.