Page 10 of 64 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeDevil View Post
    Your sensitivities aside, he's a difference maker.
    New heights of hyperbole: attributing sensitivities to Kedsy

You mean?

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    He's completely insensitive?

Parker waiting until December

Parker waiting until December to announce can't be a good sign for us. I feel like if he was going to pick Duke he would have announced during or right after his official visit. Thoughts?

no worries

Quote Originally Posted by nolan8or View Post
    Parker waiting until December to announce can't be a good sign for us. I feel like if he was going to pick Duke he would have announced during or right after his official visit. Thoughts?
    I wouldn't worry. A guy named Lance Thomas (rated similarly to Parker, albeit at a different position) waited until the spring and made a pretty good choice.

It's a tough decision for a kid. He should take his time. Given that Duke is the most stable program in college basketball, I think time is on our side.

TP needs to do whats in his heart. If he comes and hes not that into it - It wont go well... for anyone.
    For it to work and work well - he has to WANT to be here. And to that END, he should take as long as he needs to find his comfort zone.

That said, it wouldn't surprise me if he was paying EXTRA SPECIAL attention to our first handful of games to see how we use our bigs this year. Its been an openly stated objective to leverage our post assets more this year. More focus inside, that our bigs are ready to step up and produce more and all of that Jazz. You've all heard the same rhetoric going into this year. Time to walk the walk.

I think our early season games and post utilization will go a long way in attracting TP or guys cut from the same post cloth. In some ways it might be more beneficial for Duke to take some early season losses while forcing the issue the post. If MP1, MP2 and RK can avg. triple doubles, demonstrating individual player development/improvement, renewed post aggressiveness then Dukes position with TP will be much more solidified for a positive recruitment outcome, I believe. I hope we can have both successful post play and wins. I have to believe we can.

How old was this guy when Brand and Boozer played for Duke? I'm old, I remember it as not to long ago... For HIM, its prolly something he has never seen in his lifetime with his own eyes. No harm in SHOWING him. I cant blame him for waiting to see the product on the court.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    I'm actually very sensitive about my insensitivity.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    He's a lawyer.

Quote Originally Posted by wilko View Post
    TP needs to do whats in his heart. If he comes and hes not that into it - It wont go well... for anyone.
    For it to work and work well - he has to WANT to be here. And to that END, he should take as long as he needs to find his comfort zone.

That said, it wouldn't surprise me if he was paying EXTRA SPECIAL attention to our first handful of games to see how we use our bigs this year. Its been an openly stated objective to leverage our post assets more this year. More focus inside, that our bigs are ready to step up and produce more and all of that Jazz. You've all heard the same rhetoric going into this year. Time to walk the walk.

I think our early season games and post utilization will go a long way in attracting TP or guys cut from the same post cloth. In some ways it might be more beneficial for Duke to take some early season losses while forcing the issue the post. If MP1, MP2 and RK can avg. triple doubles, demonstrating individual player development/improvement, renewed post aggressiveness then Dukes position with TP will be much more solidified for a positive recruitment outcome, I believe. I hope we can have both successful post play and wins. I have to believe we can.

How old was this guy when Brand and Boozer played for Duke? I'm old, I remember it as not to long ago... For HIM, its prolly something he has never seen in his lifetime with his own eyes. No harm in SHOWING him. I cant blame him for waiting to see the product on the court.
    You may be right about this, but I think it is the wrong way for TP or any player to look at the situation. What I mean is, you use the tools you have. Let's say for argument sake that we get better play and efficiency this year by working outside-in vice inside-out. That doesn't mean that should TP come and give us a different look and options that we wouldn't change and work inside-out with him. Coach K has proven over and over that he will use the talent he has in the best way to win. If TP is talented enough to have the offense go through him, then K will work it through him.

I hope he isn't looking at it the way you describe, but he could very well be.

Well,...

He's a lawyer.
    OK, do I have to do research for everyone on this Board? (Don't answer that!) Here it is, directly from the Horse's -- errr -- Mouth:

Kedsy Profile:

"novelist (formerly attorney, entrepeneur, computer programmer)"

I mean, doesn't novelist conjure up images of F. Scott Fitzgerald levels of sensitvity?

sagegrouse

That said, it wouldn't surprise me if he was paying EXTRA SPECIAL attention to our first handful of games to see how we use our bigs this year.
    Good point; if I was a big man coming out of high school I'd want to see if Duke actually gives their big guys the ball. Hasn't happened enough lately. Also, I'd be really interested in how likely it is that Mason and/or Sullinger at OSU will leave. TP would have to wait until the spring to know for sure, but maybe he thinks the first couple months as well as the ongoing NBA negotiations will all give him more information to work with.

I strongly disagree for several reasons. Duke should try to win. Period. If winning requires us to use our big men more now than in years past, then so be it. Using your current team to play to a recruit is not fair to the guys currently on the roster. Think about the precedent this would set. Also, we don't even know why Parker is delaying his decision. For all we know, he may be convinced that Duke would use him optimally but that he thinks he'd have more fun at another school. If that's the case, then stuffing the big guys like a thanksgiving turkey just to show him that we can do that would be irrelevant to his decision.
    "I don't like them when they are eating my azaleas or rhododendrons or pansies." - Coach K

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    OK, do I have to do research for everyone on this Board? (Don't answer that!) Here it is, directly from the Horse's -- errr -- Mouth:

Kedsy Profile:

"novelist (formerly attorney, entrepeneur, computer programmer)"

I mean, doesn't novelist conjure up images of F. Scott Fitzgerald levels of sensitvity?

sagegrouse
    You guys know I can hear you, right?

Quote Originally Posted by gam7 View Post
    Duke should try to win. Period. If winning requires us to use our big men more now than in years past, then so be it. Using your current team to play to a recruit is not fair to the guys currently on the roster.
    Coach K has already said on multiple occasions that we're going to use our big men more this year, and that they are the key to how far we'll go. I think this is the context in which the OP made his comments. Tony Parker knows that this is a year that we're supposed to showcase our big men, so he wants to see how well we do it. If our current roster were devoid of quality big guys then of course we wouldn't want to force them into a role that was beyond their capabilities...

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    You guys know I can hear you, right?
    I'm a lawyer. I don't care.

I think our early season games and post utilization will go a long way in attracting TP or guys cut from the same post cloth. In some ways it might be more beneficial for Duke to take some early season losses while forcing the issue the post.
    Quote Originally Posted by gam7 View Post
    I strongly disagree for several reasons. Duke should try to win. Period. If winning requires us to use our big men more now than in years past, then so be it. Using your current team to play to a recruit is not fair to the guys currently on the roster.
    Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Coach K has already said on multiple occasions that we're going to use our big men more this year, and that they are the key to how far we'll go. I think this is the context in which the OP made his comments. Tony Parker knows that this is a year that we're supposed to showcase our big men, so he wants to see how well we do it. If our current roster were devoid of quality big guys then of course we wouldn't want to force them into a role that was beyond their capabilities...
    If Coach K thinks we should showcase our big men, then I agree we should do it. It may just be phrasing, but I agree with gam7 and disagree with the idea of "forcing the issue [in] the post," if it means we "take some early season losses." Especially if the motivation is recruiting (as opposed to doing it now so they'll be better at it later).

Besides, if you believe forcing it into the post would cause some losses, wouldn't it follow that the role is "beyond their capabilities" (at least until forcing it no longer leads to losses)?

If MP1, MP2 and RK can avg. triple doubles, demonstrating individual player development/improvement, renewed post aggressiveness then Dukes position with TP will be much more solidified for a positive recruitment outcome, I believe.
    Triple doubles? If our three bigs each average triple doubles, we'll be by far the #1 team in the country.

If Coach K thinks we should showcase our big men, then I agree we should do it. It may just be phrasing, but I agree with gam7 and disagree with the idea of "forcing the issue [in] the post," if it means we "take some early season losses." Especially if the motivation is recruiting (as opposed to doing it now so they'll be better at it later).
    Yup. The Coaching staff has gone out saying this is their intention. I not expressing my sole desires on this point. So I'm saying they just need to DO it and do it effectively. Post focus for wins vs recruiting, its a Chicken and egg argument in my mind. It can be both, right?

I think this years edition of Duke Basketball needs to be more than Austin and those Tall dudes. Developing proficiency will and confidence early in the post will go along way and bodes well for the upcoming season.

(FWIW -I say the egg came first. Eggs have been around a lot longer than since the chicken evolved to BE a chicken)

Besides, if you believe forcing it into the post would cause some losses, wouldn't it follow that the role is "beyond their capabilities" (at least until forcing it no longer leads to losses)?
    When I say force, I mean dictate the TONE. Impose will.
    I want to see the Duke post players attack the rim with such fervor that defenders fear a compound fracture if they get in the way. Fadeaways, hooks and jumpers have their place, but they need to go down in a reliable manner. The post needs to show more aggressiveness.

Triple doubles? If our three bigs each average triple doubles, we'll be by far the #1 team in the country.
    Without a doubt it would be terrific!
    I should have specified and limited that statement to the early games that overlap with the signing period until Tony makes a decision.
    That shouldn't be too awful hard since early competition is typically weaker to start the season.

I should have specified and limited that statement to the early games that overlap with the signing period until Tony makes a decision.
    That shouldn't be too awful hard since early competition is typically weaker to start the season.
    I'm pretty sure wilko is saying average triple doubles collectively as a unit, not each guy getting a triple double. Having said that, I'd think averaging 10 assists between the three of them isn't likely at all. Haven't there only been like four triple doubles in Duke history? I recall Shelden did it with 10 blocks a few years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    I'm pretty sure wilko is saying average triple doubles collectively as a unit, not each guy getting a triple double.
    Actually, that was a blown line. My mistake.
    I meant DOUBLE DOUBLE... that's more reasonable against early season competition, I think.
    But still, even the misstatement of exaggeration carries the point for improved post play. They have demonstrate it on the court.

I think RK can get enough assists to threaten that..
    Mason has show he can be a round machine and is a good passer so its possible for him to scratch a few assists.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    I'm pretty sure wilko is saying average triple doubles collectively as a unit, not each guy getting a triple double. Having said that, I'd think averaging 10 assists between the three of them isn't likely at all. Haven't there only been like four triple doubles in Duke history? I recall Shelden did it with 10 blocks a few years ago.
    I think points, rebounds, and blocks would be more likely and may be what wilko was refering to. Although MP2 has been known to pick up a few assist as well.

Yup. The Coaching staff has gone out saying this is their intention. I not expressing my sole desires on this point. So I'm saying they just need to DO it and do it effectively. Post focus for wins vs recruiting, its a Chicken and egg argument in my mind. It can be both, right?

I think this years edition of Duke Basketball needs to be more than Austin and those Tall dudes. Developing proficiency will and confidence early in the post will go along way and bodes well for the upcoming season.

(FWIW -I say the egg came first. Eggs have been around a lot longer than since the chicken evolved to BE a chicken)

When I say force, I mean dictate the TONE. Impose will.
    I want to see the Duke post players attack the rim with such fervor that defenders fear a compound fracture if they get in the way. Fadeaways, hooks and jumpers have their place, but they need to go down in a reliable manner. The post needs to show more aggressiveness.

Kedsy highlighted the quotes in your initial post that rankled me a bit. Sorry for my imprecise quoting.

I totally agree that it will be great if we can feed the big guys and see them impose their will on opponents. But, I would imagine that any coach worth his salt will know that this is Duke's stated intention coming into the season and will plan accordingly. So, if we need to adjust to a more perimeter-oriented game to win, we should do that, rather than trying to prove to a potential recruit that we are stubborn enough to keep feeding the post. To complicate matters further, I just read the Shabazz article linked on the front page, and he explicitly says that he will be watching teams this season to find the best style of play for him. So, if you are taking recruits' preferences into account, how do we please both of these guys? I think the only solution is that you win and then convince these guys of the truth, which is that Duke's staff is flexible enough to adjust the system to take advantage of the strengths of its roster.
    "I don't like them when they are eating my azaleas or rhododendrons or pansies." - Coach K