Page 43 of 64 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    So you've suggested that it's more likely that he'll go one of three other teams rather than Duke. Gutsy call, indeed.

You know, his recruiting has been discussed extensively here, and your post doesn't really add anything, except for the suggestion that he might go to Kentucky. Kentucky hasn't been on his radar recently, as far as I know. Do you have a reason for naming Kentucky or are you just shooting from the hip?
    There's some irony in a post that's sole pupose is to call out another post for not adding anything. Looking forward to his announcement. If he doesn't pick Duke, I'd love to see him pick Georgia, just to go against everyone's expectations.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

There's discussion on the Twitters today that Tony Parker is not going hard at the McDonalds game workouts. On the other hand, lots of kudos for Shabazz diving after loose balls -

Dave Telep ‏ @DaveTelep
    Blows my mind that some guys can come out in front of nba decision makers and have zero energy. What are you working for?

Evan Daniels ‏ @EvanDanielscout
    How do you not show up prepared and ready to play in this environment? Some guys need to turn it up a notch. #McDonaldsAA

Others...
    Brian Snow ‏ @BSnowScout
    So far on the East squad the only player not afraid to communicate is Amile Jefferson

No one is playing harder than Shabazz. Roughing dudes up right now. Just dove for loose ball. This dude is not playing around right now.

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    There's discussion on the Twitters today that Tony Parker is not going hard at the McDonalds game workouts. On the other hand, lots of kudos for Shabazz diving after loose balls -

Dave Telep ‏ @DaveTelep
    Blows my mind that some guys can come out in front of nba decision makers and have zero energy. What are you working for?

How do you not show up prepared and ready to play in this environment? Some guys need to turn it up a notch. #McDonaldsAA

Others...
    Brian Snow ‏ @BSnowScout
    So far on the East squad the only player not afraid to communicate is Amile Jefferson

No one is playing harder than Shabazz. Roughing dudes up right now. Just dove for loose ball. This dude is not playing around right now.
    Ok, I was trying to figure out where TP fit in to this equation since his name wasn't actually mentioned in any of the tweets you listed...
    But then I went to Twitter.

Besides the ones mentioned, Draft Express had some great things to say about Shabazz.

It's nice to hear some of these guys (like Bazz and Amile - two that I've seen listed) are giving it their all, and I look forward to watching the game to see more about all 3 since I have yet to see them play in a game. A lot of people have differing opinions on whether TP can produce in his first year, so I want to see what all the buzz is about.

EDIT - I did not want to post any of the info from Draft Express on Twitter, because I'm not at the practice so I don't know if they are being overly negative on the kids. It's a shame those things are out in public, though, true or not.
    I didn't always go hard in practice when I was in high school. Yikes!

Three Stand Out

Per Bob Baptist (referencing Evan Daniels), Tony Parker says Duke, UCLA, and Kansas "stand out"

Bob Baptist ‏ @BBaptistHoops
    2012 big Tony Parker told http://t.co/46PC1tI7 today that Kansas, UCLA, Duke stand out over others. http://t.co/4hxr0xSk #buckeyes #buckbk

Good news.

Quote Originally Posted by dukedoc View Post
    Per Bob Baptist (referencing Evan Daniels), Tony Parker says Duke, UCLA, and Kansas "stand out"

Bob Baptist ‏ @BBaptistHoops
    2012 big Tony Parker told http://t.co/46PC1tI7 today that Kansas, UCLA, Duke stand out over others. http://t.co/4hxr0xSk #buckeyes #buckbk

Good news.
    This would seem to be generally consistent with the Jason Jordan article about Tony and his family and advisors discussing his options. Tony seemed excited about both Kansas and UCLA, but each had an issue, according to the article. For Kansas, IIRC, it was playing time--apparently there are other big man recruits coming into the program. For UCLA, it was how far from home and family the west coast would be. As for Duke, the strong implication was that both Parker parents were excited about Duke, Tony perhaps a bit less so. By comparison, the other schools (with the possible exception of OSU) didn't seem to get as much attention in the discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by MCFinARL View Post
    This would seem to be generally consistent with the Jason Jordan article about Tony and his family and advisors discussing his options. Tony seemed excited about both Kansas and UCLA, but each had an issue, according to the article. For Kansas, IIRC, it was playing time--apparently there are other big man recruits coming into the program. For UCLA, it was how far from home and family the west coast would be. As for Duke, the strong implication was that both Parker parents were excited about Duke, Tony perhaps a bit less so. By comparison, the other schools (with the possible exception of OSU) didn't seem to get as much attention in the discussion.
    And to be fair, Tony came across in the roundtable article as truly respecting and "liking" Coach K; but he has legitimate/genuine concerns about how big men are used at Duke. I actually gained a better appreciation for Tony after reading that article; and I think it explains why Coach K is still recruitng Tony so hard b/c Duke is still in it. If doesn't pick Duke, Kansas should be his choice because Self's staff does have a recent track record of putting bigs in the NBA, whereas OSU under Matta only has 1 guy in Sullinger. And out of the 3 schools, Duke has the biggest need for a good big like Parker.

Quote Originally Posted by Class of '94 View Post
    And to be fair, Tony came across in the roundtable article as truly respecting and "liking" Coach K; but he has legitimate/genuine concerns about how big men are used at Duke. I actually gained a better appreciation for Tony after reading that article; and I think it explains why Coach K is still recruitng Tony so hard b/c Duke is still in it. If doesn't pick Duke, Kansas should be his choice because Self's staff does have a recent track record of putting bigs in the NBA, whereas OSU under Matta only has 1 guy in Sullinger. And out of the 3 schools, Duke has the biggest need for a good big like Parker.
    Matta's record getting big kids drafted is close to Bill Self's. They've had less success in the NBA, but they've been first round picks.

Greg Oden was the #1 pick in 2007
    Kosta Koufos was a first round pick in 2008
    BJ Mullens was a first round pick in 2009
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Yes, but

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    Matta's record getting big kids drafted is close to Bill Self's. They've had less success in the NBA, but they've been first round picks.

Greg Oden was the #1 pick in 2007
    Kosta Koufos was a first round pick in 2008
    BJ Mullens was a first round pick in 2009
    Didn't all three just play one year at tOSU? I'm not trying to argue with you, but giving Matta too much credit for those three and Sullinger is a little bit like saying Dwight Howard's high school coach is the best big man coach ever. Still, if you're a high school senior, you would think you would be impressed by Matta's record with bigs. (And I think Matta is a very good coach.)

Didn't all three just play one year at tOSU? I'm not trying to argue with you, but giving Matta too much credit for those three and Sullinger is a little bit like saying Dwight Howard's high school coach is the best big man coach ever. Still, if you're a high school senior, you would think you would be impressed by Matta's record with bigs. (And I think Matta is a very good coach.)
    Yes, that's true. Self has had fewer one-and-done big men, while Matta has had more who were high(er) profile recruits when they enrolled.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Didn't all three just play one year at tOSU?
    in oden's case, less than half a season, as i recall.

Quote Originally Posted by fgb View Post
    in oden's case, less than half a season, as i recall.
    Oden played 32 games.

Looks like you swallowed the red pill.

Another thing to consider is that when you come to Duke, you are expected to perform in the classroom as well as the court. It's not JUST basketball. I think this is why his parents have a likeness for Duke so much because they know it is on the stricter side than alot others and most importantly with good guideness. This would make any parent feel good with their child going away from home. However, young kids seem to look the other way when it comes to discipline.

KU has Perry Ellis, Landen Lucas, and Zach Peters coming in next year. Lucas & Peters* are bench players, providing some badly needed depth, but they wouldn't scare off Parker. Ellis is a McDAA, and up to now has been seen as the likely replacement for Thomas Robinson**. T-Rob and Taylor will be gone, leaving Johnson-Withey-Releford as seniors in '12-13 (unless one of them goes nuts this weekend and declares for the NBA). That should leave two starting spots open, likely for Ben McLemore*** and Ellis. If Parker and/or Shabazz commits, that would obviously change some things. Shabazz starts no matter what, but there would be competition between Parker and Ellis.

* Peters is most-famous for being teammates and close friends with Julius Randle.
    ** Robinson didn't start until his junior year, but the cupboard is bare and very young, starting next year.
    *** McLemore was not ruled eligible by the NCAA this last fall, leaving the 6th man role to Connor Teahan (a walk-on). Can't really complain about the results, but that decision left many thinking that KU was not a shoe-in to make the tournament at all.

Quote Originally Posted by dukedoc View Post
    Is it confirmed that TP will announce at the McDonald's game? I know this was what was reported a few weeks ago, but I didn't see it in the roundtable piece.
    I'd like to know the answer to this too, seeing as the game is, you know, tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    I'd like to know the answer to this too, seeing as the game is, you know, tomorrow.
    Shabazz and Tony are both announcing on April 11th on ESPNU.

http://coast2coastrecruiting.net/201...-announcement/

17. Is it just me or are the two announcing on the same day to declare the same destination -- UCLA?

Quote Originally Posted by ice-9 View Post
    Is it just me or are the two announcing on the same day to declare the same destination -- UCLA?
    (Blue glasses on) Or to Duke!

It's the first day of the regular period and they will know for certain who is entering the NBA draft, so there might be even more youngins announcing on that same program.

Quote Originally Posted by TexHawk View Post
    KU has Perry Ellis, Landen Lucas, and Zach Peters coming in next year. Lucas & Peters* are bench players, providing some badly needed depth, but they wouldn't scare off Parker. Ellis is a McDAA, and up to now has been seen as the likely replacement for Thomas Robinson**. T-Rob and Taylor will be gone, leaving Johnson-Withey-Releford as seniors in '12-13 (unless one of them goes nuts this weekend and declares for the NBA). That should leave two starting spots open, likely for Ben McLemore*** and Ellis. If Parker and/or Shabazz commits, that would obviously change some things. Shabazz starts no matter what, but there would be competition between Parker and Ellis.

* Peters is most-famous for being teammates and close friends with Julius Randle.
    ** Robinson didn't start until his junior year, but the cupboard is bare and very young, starting next year.
    *** McLemore was not ruled eligible by the NCAA this last fall, leaving the 6th man role to Connor Teahan (a walk-on). Can't really complain about the results, but that decision left many thinking that KU was not a shoe-in to make the tournament at all.
    Thanks for the detailed info--I didn't have time to research it but wouldn't have come up with anything this good if I had.

Thank Heaven

Quote Originally Posted by nolan8or View Post
    Shabazz and Tony are both announcing on April 11th on ESPNU.

http://coast2coastrecruiting.net/201...-announcement/
    I for one will be happy when all the speculation ends and something real replaces it, like are they actually coming to Duke or not. We now know Rivers is surely gone and Mason is still up in the air. Maybe Mason will also be resolved on April 11th as well.