Page 41 of 64 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    I think you are severely underestimating our fanbase's capacity for being anywhere close to reasonable. If we get to the Sweet 16 and lose, next year, come read the post-game thread here (or any other Duke fan site) and then tell me how happy everyone is.
    Or any loss next year.

I hear

Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    Only 3 months until the Summer League at NC Central starts! I am stoked! Get your tail down here sailor and catch a night of summer league ball with me!
    That Marshall is going to dominate Nick Horvath in pickup games this summer!

Mickey D's

Is it confirmed that TP will announce at the McDonald's game? I know this was what was reported a few weeks ago, but I didn't see it in the roundtable piece. I suppose "confirming" anything with respect to TP's recruitment is a difficult proposition, but are we truly expecting an announcement then? Can't believe it'll be over. Someone should comb through this thread and pick out some of the most extreme statements/comments as a sort of retrospective on our often confusing dance with Tony. Hope it ends well.

Tony Parker: Listen to Your Mother!

Amazing story about Parker linked on the Main Page.

It concerns a day in the life, and at the end of the day there is a meeting with family and advisors to discuss each and every team. Seven schools are taped to the piano. Tony has comments about every one of them.

My conclusion: he is carrying this on as a game, having fun with it, and not disclosing his true leanings. He's a real kidder -- a neat kid, I would say. I hope he is using it to tease his mother, who wants him to go to Duke.

sagegrouse
    'And, needless to say, there is no point carrying out "textual criticism" of his comments about Duke'
    Last edited by sagegrouse; 03-24-2012 at 12:07 PM. Reason: Added note at end

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post

It concerns a day in the life, and at the end of the day there is a meeting with family and advisors to discuss each and every team. Seven schools are taped to the piano. Tony has comments about every one of them.

My conclusion: he is carrying this on as a game, having fun with it, and not disclosing his true leanings. He's a real kidder -- a neat kid, I would say. I hope he is using it to tease his mother, who wants him to go to Duke.

sagegrouse
    'And, needless to say, there is no point carrying out "textual criticism" of his comments about Duke'
    You might wanna read the last two pages...

I think you are severely underestimating our fanbase's capacity for being anywhere close to reasonable. If we get to the Sweet 16 and lose, next year, come read the post-game thread here (or any other Duke fan site) and then tell me how happy everyone is.
    You got that right,,,blowing out UNC to win the ACC title last year along with making the sweet 16 wasn't good enough to stop complaints. I don't see why next year will be any different.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxAMillion View Post
    You got that right,,,blowing out UNC to win the ACC title last year along with making the sweet 16 wasn't good enough to stop complaints. I don't see why next year will be any different.
    To be fair, I think a big part of the disappointment in that situation stemmed from the fact that last year's team was a special group. Anyone who looked at that group with 2 stellar seniors and a very special point guard predicted some special things. Then Kyrie got injured which tempered some of those expectations and then he reemerged during the tournament which raised the expectations all over again. Thus, there are "Duke expectations" that are present each and every year simply by virtue of being Duke, plus there are year-specific expectations that are thrown in which were particularly high last year (thus yielding disappointment with a sweet 16 exit). Next year, I would expect the year-specific expectations to be lower.

Quote Originally Posted by dukedoc View Post
    Next year, I would expect the year-specific expectations to be lower.
    Keep on hoping.

Keep on hoping.
    Sadly, you're probably right.

Sorry, but I Thought I Was Adding Something

sagegrouse
    Quote Originally Posted by SupaDave View Post
    You might wanna read the last two pages...
    I probably need to work on my reading comprehension, but I didn't read anyone else as saying that TP is just having a lot of fun out of the process, and there is no reason to subject his words to (over-)analysis. In fact, his yakking about Chris Burgess (Burgess?) and Shav without mentioning Elton and Carlos plus his comments about the "5-6" big man coach can be read as a total put-on, although I DON'T TRUST MY JUDGMENT WHERE I HAVE A BIG INTEREST IN JUST ONE OF THE OUTCOMES.

sage

I DON'T TRUST MY JUDGMENT WHERE I HAVE A BIG INTEREST IN JUST ONE OF THE OUTCOMES.
    You will live a longer life than most given your ability to temper the natural human drive to see/hear/believe what you want rather than what is truly there and thereby avoid frequent disappointment. Many on this board would do well to learn that skill.

I agree - Tony seems like a funny and likable kid. He doesn't automatically come across that way in other articles/interviews, but I'm glad for the opportunity to read pieces like this that are more than just reporting the facts but also help us understand that young man behind the name.

sagegrouse
    Frankly, I thought that was pretty pro-Duke. They definitely spent the most time in the article on Duke. And I think our staff can take a joke about Wojo's height.

It obviously sounds like he's torn, but we have the parents in our corner. If I was in his shoes, I'd have some concerns, too.

However, I do think it's a joke Dion Glover is adding any type of advice to the situation. "Burgess"...really? First, I don't think he had miserable seasons, and second, if he'd stuck around, he might have produced a little more than he did in Utah.

Yeah, I don't see how Burgess is an example of duke not developing its big men. The guy left and went to another school because he thought he was better than coach k knew, then still flopped. If duke was holding him back, wouldn't he have flourished after he left? It's clear to me that EVERYONE misjudged his talent and attitude coming out of high school.

Quote Originally Posted by Faison1 View Post
    However, I do think it's a joke Dion Glover is adding any type of advice to the situation. "Burgess"...really? First, I don't think he had miserable seasons, and second, if he'd stuck around, he might have produced a little more than he did in Utah.
    Was Glover in the same class as Burgess?

Quote Originally Posted by dukedoc View Post
    You will live a longer life than most given your ability to temper the natural human drive to see/hear/believe what you want rather than what is truly there and thereby avoid frequent disappointment. Many on this board would do well to learn that skill.

I agree - Tony seems like a funny and likable kid. He doesn't automatically come across that way in other articles/interviews, but I'm glad for the opportunity to read pieces like this that are more than just reporting the facts but also help us understand that young man behind the name.
    Thanks for your kind words. I may already have, along with Jim3K and Grossbus, both of whom I knew at Duke.

sage

Frankly, I thought that was pretty pro-Duke.
    Umm that wasn't pro-Duke. I'm pretty convinced after reading that article that Tony Parker isn't coming to Duke. I hope I am proven wrong. Frankly, some of the themes that Tony and his advisors discuss regarding Duke (whether directly or subtly) are very concerning regarding our ability to recruit Tony Parker like big men over the medium term. Rightly or wrongly, Duke University men's basketball is a guard centric program - has been for a long time. Yes, we have had our share of amazing big men (brand, boozer, etc.). But Coach K (being a PG himself) has run his motion offense and man-to-man defenses based on the premise of his guard play.

The above his my personal opinion, and I am sure some will disagree with it.

It sounded to me like he wants to want to come to Duke, but can't get over the perceptions that people have about us. Hopefully he'll follow his father's advice and go where he would fit in best, and forget about what players have come through in the past.

It's ironic that Glover was at GT for the same years Brand was here - '98 and '99. He got blown out by Duke twice in 1998, and watched, injured, from the bench as Duke dismantled GT 99-58, with Brand as the leading scorer, in 1999. Yeah... I don't think you get to make of Duke, Dion.

But by all means, focus on Burgess...

Quote Originally Posted by aav2aav2 View Post
    Umm that wasn't pro-Duke. I'm pretty convinced after reading that article that Tony Parker isn't coming to Duke. I hope I am proven wrong. Frankly, some of the themes that Tony and his advisors discuss regarding Duke (whether directly or subtly) are very concerning regarding our ability to recruit Tony Parker like big men over the medium term. Rightly or wrongly, Duke University men's basketball is a guard centric program - has been for a long time. Yes, we have had our share of amazing big men (brand, boozer, etc.). But Coach K (being a PG himself) has run his motion offense and man-to-man defenses based on the premise of his guard play.

The above his my personal opinion, and I am sure some will disagree with it.
    I'm not disagreeing with you so please don't take offense but Bobby Knight also ran a motion offense and used man to man defenses which may be where Coach K picked it up. As far as I know Bobby Knight wasn't a guard, but a forward when he played, and I don't think as a coach he had any particular problems that I recall recruiting bigs.

Also of possible related arcane interest; I heard a John Feinstein book tour interview where he related some stories about Bobby knight. One of which was that Knight and Pete Newell were close friends and back in the day when it wouldnt have been uncommon, even shared hotel rooms every year at the final four. Just seemed to be interesting in terms of big man teaching trees and coach K.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    It sounded to me like he wants to want to come to Duke, but can't get over the perceptions that people have about us. Hopefully he'll follow his father's advice and go where he would fit in best, and forget about what players have come through in the past.
    I promised myself I would stop psychoanalyzing him based off of a transcript of a conversation that was perhaps edited to some extent and also geared subconsciously for public consumption to some extent. Perhaps after this I'll stop.

I honestly think his heart of hearts is telling him to go elsewhere. Probably either Kansas or UCLA. The family's pull (particularly his parents) towards Duke is quite strong though, so he's understandably torn. The way Tony talks about it, he seems to be a fairly average teenager in that he puts tremendous stock in general perceptions/stereotypes related to each school, envisioning himself more as a part of a lineage of big men at a particular program rather than as an individual that will create his own space and leave his own mark. That's very normal for a young person at his stage of psychosocial development. It's also very clear that he loves Coach K and probably many other things about Duke, but he seems concerned more with appearances and perceptions. I think the "big man development concern" is a genuine concern but probably more the scapegoat for his hesitancy rather than the crux of it, and that there is something else deeper down that gives him pause and comes from a more "adolescent" place in his heart and might not be as persuasive to his parents. Thus, he harps on the big man issue over and over.

This kid has grown up dreaming of this day. I don't blame him for being confused and uncertain. I'm actually proud of him for putting off his decision, now that we understand the important and conflicted considerations at play. He (or perhaps his parents) made the right move in waiting. Unfortunately for them, their time is almost up.