Page 55 of 64 FirstFirst ... 5455354555657 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,100 of 1266
    Quote Originally Posted by ncexnyc View Post
    Could be the latest news about Silent G. has given him something to think about. Now whether that's good or bad, only Tony knows.
    Unless TP is close friends with Mike G, I don't know how that could be a negative. Perhaps he's thinking "Hey, for sure now Murphy is playing at the 3 with Kelly and MP2 at the 4/5, so there's a greater chance for more minutes at the 5 spot for me".

I do think, however, the longer this goes on the more likely TP doesn't play all 4 years at 1 school(I hope I'm wrong).

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevilBrowns View Post
    Unless TP is close friends with Mike G, I don't know how that could be a negative. Perhaps he's thinking "Hey, for sure now Murphy is playing at the 3 with Kelly and MP2 at the 4/5, so there's a greater chance for more minutes at the 5 spot for me".

I do think, however, the longer this goes on the more likely TP doesn't play all 4 years at 1 school(I hope I'm wrong).
    I agree with you on the positive viewpoint Tony may have come up with.

As for the negative, from all I've read on this board about the kid, he appears to have a somewhat inflated opinion of his abilities. The Silent G. business might have been a wake up call for him as to how Duke actually handles playing time.

Personally I think it's more likely a positive situation, but again who can tell with this kid.

Announcement moved to Monday

TP moves his announcement to from Friday to Monday. I get the feeling he is going to second guess his decision (no matter where he goes) for awhile...

http://blogs.ajc.com/recruiting/2012...cided-on-ucla/

Quote Originally Posted by socaldukie View Post
    TP moves his announcement to from Friday to Monday. I get the feeling he is going to second guess his decision (no matter where he goes) for awhile...

http://blogs.ajc.com/recruiting/2012...cided-on-ucla/
    As with anything else, we must read way too much into this. The only thing from our perspective that has changed is Gbinije leaving. While he is more than likely just second-guessing himself, perhaps he sees time at the 4 opening up with Murphy manning the 3?

I know that I shouldn't feel this way, but at this point I just wish the kid would make a decision for heavens sake. I cannot imagine what will happen between Friday and Monday that would be a game changer for him. For that matter what will happen between now and Monday that will be a game changer?

Like I said in another post, I get the sense that some of this is just overthinking the matter, paralysis by analysis as I used to say when on active duty.

At this point, all things being equal just throw a dart at a board and go with it... at some point it is going to appear that you are indecisive instead of through...

If you buy into the myth that you will not improve at Duke then go somewhere else. But I would read Al's article on the front page of this board first...

Bottom line is that Tony will need to put the work in no matter where he goes. If he does he will most likely succeed no matter where he goes... so just go, and work hard and best of luck to you if at Duke great if not, then also great.

Quote Originally Posted by oldnavy View Post
    I know that I shouldn't feel this way, but at this point I just wish the kid would make a decision for heavens sake. I cannot imagine what will happen between Friday and Monday that would be a game changer for him. For that matter what will happen between now and Monday that will be a game changer?

Like I said in another post, I get the sense that some of this is just overthinking the matter, paralysis by analysis as I used to say when on active duty.

At this point, all things being equal just throw a dart at a board and go with it... at some point it is going to appear that you are indecisive instead of through...

If you buy into the myth that you will not improve at Duke then go somewhere else. But I would read Al's article on the front page of this board first...

Bottom line is that Tony will need to put the work in no matter where he goes. If he does he will most likely succeed no matter where he goes... so just go, and work hard and best of luck to you if at Duke great if not, then also great.
    I think we passed that point a while back...

- Chillin

TP's decision

Anyone else have an odd sense of optimism about TP's decision? I'm not sure where it's coming from, because everything seems to argue against Duke, but I have a slight, albeit illogical sense of optimism.

I firmly believe that his decision is not critical to anything in the near term for Duke and that guys like Randle would be better suited to be the ones to come in and finally trump the big-guys-go-to-Duke-to-dissolve-into-oblivion mudslinging going on. However, I would certainly be very happy if he decided to come to Durham.

I am actually encouraged that the UCLA buzz, which crescendoed last weekend, has seemed to die off a bit. Folks still consider them the favorite, but aside from the glitz and glamour of the Bazz train, I just don't see it. His delay well past the Jordan Brand festivities, his strong influence of his Duke-philic parents, his quiet living room far away from bluster of Hollywood, all would seem to tease him away from UCLA.

Perhaps I'm just deluded, but I'll definitely be curious to see what happens Monday (unless he postpones again).

SupaDave - any information from on the ground in the ATL?

I'm kind of ambivalent about his decision. If he comes then great, but if he doesn't then I'm not going to be too heartbroken. I was somewhat optimistic about Shabazz but that ship has sailed. I do agree that the more he delays the less likely it is that he goes to UCLA. If his mindset had been to wait for Shabazz and then follow him, then he would have announced by now.

Quote Originally Posted by dukedoc View Post
    I am actually encouraged that the UCLA buzz, which crescendoed last weekend, has seemed to die off a bit. Folks still consider them the favorite, but aside from the glitz and glamour of the Bazz train, I just don't see it. His delay well past the Jordan Brand festivities, his strong influence of his Duke-philic parents, his quiet living room far away from bluster of Hollywood, all would seem to tease him away from UCLA.
    I think you may be right. Maybe he is looking long term because he knows that Bazz and maybe Anderson are gone next year and then what for UCLA? It is not like they are Kentucky and reload with lottery picks every year. This is Howland's best class since the Love/Westbrook duo. Now that he is removed from the McDs game and the Jordan game he can look at the rosters this year and next and see that Duke is set up for the long run and he could be an important piece on a potential title team, maybe not this year but certainly next year, especially if Duke gets commits from some of the top recruits they are going after.

Certainly makes sense

Quote Originally Posted by sporthenry View Post
    As with anything else, we must read way too much into this. The only thing from our perspective that has changed is Gbinije leaving. While he is more than likely just second-guessing himself, perhaps he sees time at the 4 opening up with Murphy manning the 3?
    We really haven't seen Alex play, but right now he is the only small forward sized guy we have. Lets hope he can live up to expectations, especially based upon being red shirted last season. That clears the air for someone like Tony Parker, who will play a 4/5 in college. He is a good fit for Duke for several reasons.

1. He needs to improve his physical conditioning so getting 10-15 minutes a game would likely be the most he could handle.
    2. He would play in a substitute role for one year, but with Mason and Ryan both leaving, he would be the heir apparent, along with Marshall on the inside.
    3. He has good hands, is a good scorer around the rim and usees his body well in rebounding. Definitely room this coming year for his talents.
    4. I doubt if he considers himself a one and doner.

Scout doesn't see him as a one and doner either. This is from a chat today on their new top 100 rankings:

Where do you see Tony Parker ending up? 3-4 year player in college?
    Wednesday April 18, 2012 1:49 1:50
    Brian Snow: I do think Parker is a 3-4 year player, will take a while to get his body right, and also he isn't an elite athlete for his size.
    Singler is IRON

I STILL GOT IT! -- Ryan Kelly, March 2, 2013

Anyone else have an odd sense of optimism about TP's decision? I'm not sure where it's coming from, because everything seems to argue against Duke, but I have a slight, albeit illogical sense of optimism.

I firmly believe that his decision is not critical to anything in the near term for Duke and that guys like Randle would be better suited to be the ones to come in and finally trump the big-guys-go-to-Duke-to-dissolve-into-oblivion mudslinging going on. However, I would certainly be very happy if he decided to come to Durham.

Perhaps I'm just deluded, but I'll definitely be curious to see what happens Monday (unless he postpones again).

SupaDave - any information from on the ground in the ATL?
    Agree with the thought process DukeDoc. I've been thinking the same things around the subtleties of what's happened in the past few weeks. And I really think he's a great opportunity to SHOW how well a big-man prospect can develop here, with a relatively lower recruit ranking, but great upside possibilities (and apparent good fit at Duke and with K). I think K sees that potential too.

Let's hope for "persuasive parents" and the tug of staying relatively near home...

Article on Tony Parker. No news but the 4pm announcement time on Monday.

This is an interesting excerpt. Duke would certainly fit the bill.

"Still, in a tight-lipped recruitment thus far, it seems as if Parker’s ultimate decision could even be a surprise for the school he ends up at. By next Monday, the mystery should be revealed."

This is an interesting excerpt. Duke would certainly fit the bill.

"Still, in a tight-lipped recruitment thus far, it seems as if Parker’s ultimate decision could even be a surprise for the school he ends up at. By next Monday, the mystery should be revealed."
    I don't think this statement by the author implies that he has any knowledge of where Parker would end up, but rather that it is so up in the air that a school that may have somewhat counted themselves out may still get him. I feel as if every school on his list would be pretty surprised if he came their way except for perhaps UCLA, and from the looks of the article Duke (they were the only other mentioned "frontrunner"). That's not to say that I wouldn't be surprised, but I just don't think its worth reading into anything that happens between now and Monday, because who on earth knows what's going on in young Mr. Parkers head. I think I know what's going on in his mama's head (Duke, Duke, Duke) and I hope that translates, but we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukehky View Post
    I don't think this statement by the author implies that he has any knowledge of where Parker would end up, but rather that it is so up in the air that a school that may have somewhat counted themselves out may still get him. I feel as if every school on his list would be pretty surprised if he came their way except for perhaps UCLA, and from the looks of the article Duke (they were the only other mentioned "frontrunner"). That's not to say that I wouldn't be surprised, but I just don't think its worth reading into anything that happens between now and Monday, because who on earth knows what's going on in young Mr. Parkers head. I think I know what's going on in his mama's head (Duke, Duke, Duke) and I hope that translates, but we'll see.
    I didn't mean to suggest the writer was implying he had any actual inside knowledge. He makes a good point though. Tony's recruitment is such a question mark, that calling favorites and longshots might be presumptuous for anyone to do. I agree with you, that the only reasonable time to try and draw any firm conclusions is the exact moment that Tony announces his decision and not a moment before.

I agree with you, that the only reasonable time to try and draw any firm conclusions is the exact moment that Tony announces his decision and not a moment before.
    Perhaps not even then...

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Perhaps not even then...
    There's a Coach Cal on line 2 ...

Something that occurred to me

I am skeptical of the Bazz/TP "package deal" that seems to have been out there. One reason why... given all the time TP has had to stew on this decision, I would not be surprised if one of the obvious realizations is that Bazz will be gone in a year. And TP seems much more likely to be at least 2yr guy if not more like 3 or 4 yrs - which I know we'd all love to see! So, it must have crossed his mind that year one will be pretty sweet. But when Bazz is gone for the NBA, TP will still be out in Cali, a long way from home without at least one of his best buds and probably wondering if it was all worth it. Hmmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    I am skeptical of the Bazz/TP "package deal" that seems to have been out there. One reason why... given all the time TP has had to stew on this decision, I would not be surprised if one of the obvious realizations is that Bazz will be gone in a year. And TP seems much more likely to be at least 2yr guy if not more like 3 or 4 yrs - which I know we'd all love to see! So, it must have crossed his mind that year one will be pretty sweet. But when Bazz is gone for the NBA, TP will still be out in Cali, a long way from home without at least one of his best buds and probably wondering if it was all worth it. Hmmmm...
    These "package deal" myths are ridiculous. Kids say things like that all the time, but it doesn't typically work out. It's like a young kid saying "I want to be an astronaut when I grow up". Sounds like a nice idea, but reality hits at some point between point A and point B. In theory it could work if the two or three or however many prospects were all pretty much of equal caliber. Then they could move together over time without one or more being left behind. Shabazz >> Tony. Thus, it can't work. I also don't think Mama Parker would buy the "but I want to hang out with Shabazz for a year!! (and be really far away from you)" argument.