Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by kong123 View Post
    The kids are having fun. Shabazz had fun. It may not be your cup of tea- but then again you hate UNC with everything that you are. You guys will never see it any other way and what does that say about your fan base? I know you guys have a good sense of humor, but you are not showing it. I laughed this summer when Nolan had that horrible singing video on youtube.
    I just think that you guys are just bashing UNC just to do it. That's fine. I get it. In a few years, we will have just as much fun at your expense.
    When things are not going well, there seems to be a lot of hate going on. From the fans, right down to the team. While I can appreciate the intensity that the Duke players play with, its when that intensity is channeled in a negative direction such as the instance I mentioned above. While I do not approve of the way many of the UNC players played last year, I am glad they didn't all turn on each other in the way I mentioned above.
    Honestly... well, I won't say it. Yes, they're kids having fun. And we're a Duke board, so we're laughing at them and making fun of them. Spare me the pseudo-moral crusade.

And I love how you have to throw in low blows at Duke and our fan base in all of your holier-than-thou posts. I suppose it's okay with the mods (and a surprising amount of posters here), but it's not an endearing habit.

If anything, I try to point out an obvious hypocrisy that some of you fail to admit. I am sorry if some of my posts have a UNC slant. I forgive all of you for having a slant towards Duke. I try to be civil all of the time. I threw out a comment two days ago and got banned for 2 days. Had one of you said the same thing I did, I doubt you would have received the same treatment. Attack the post and not the poster was the reason for the infraction and I would imagine your comment would fall in the same category. However, nothing will be done and you guys will continue to demean my posts as petty and void of substance.
    Last edited by kong123; 10-20-2010 at 07:47 PM.

No, the use of hate wasn't meant as actual hate. they were "hating" on each other. they were allowing the stress to get to them and they all turned on one guy.
    If you want to pat yourself on the back for having a team that apparently doesn't have the heart to get after one another every once in a while, then good for you. I'm actually pretty happy that your players came to accept failure last year.

Although maybe they just left all the "hating" to their coach. Because if you want to conflate "exhibiting frustration" with "hating on someone," then how many of his own players did publicly Roy hate on last season? I can understand if you decided to stop following UNC last season around January, so you may not have noticed what was going on with your vaunted rec league team. But apparently you missed some embarrassing displays of emotion on the part of your coach towards his players.

Quote Originally Posted by El_Diablo View Post
    If you want to pat yourself on the back for having a team that apparently doesn't have the heart to get after one another every once in a while, then good for you. I'm actually pretty happy that your players came to accept failure last year.

Although maybe they just left all the "hating" to their coach. Because if you want to conflate "exhibiting frustration" with "hating on someone," then how many of his own players did publicly Roy hate on last season? I can understand if you decided to stop following UNC last season around January, so you may not have noticed what was going on with your vaunted rec league team. But apparently you missed some embarrassing displays of emotion on the part of your coach towards his players.

No, I didn't stop following UNC last January. In fact, I have been here the entire time. I believe I am the only UNC fan on the board for the last 8 months. So, you can say a lot of things about me, but calling me fair-weather shows me that you do not visit the board very often.

No, I didn't stop following UNC last January. In fact, I have been here the entire time. I believe I am the only UNC fan on the board for the last 8 months. So, you can say a lot of things about me, but calling me fair-weather shows me that you do not visit the board very often.
    Care to respond to the actual substance of his post or no? He didn't even say you quit watching, just that he'd understand if you did, referencing the fact that you're conveniently ignoring Roy's treatment of his players when you criticize the way Duke players treated each other a couple years ago.
    Last edited by Acymetric; 10-20-2010 at 08:26 PM. Reason: added more

I responded to another poster who mentioned that a certain team hated playing with one another. I then mentioned a situation I saw a few years ago. One I have never seen before in any sport. Take it for what its worth. Far worse is said on this board about UNC every day. Some of it is warranted and some of it isn't. I will not try to defend some of the indefensible things Roy said and did last year. I was here during that time period and I commented on it at that time. I also commented on the problems concerning the players last year. Where were you?

"conveniently ignoring Roy's treatment of his players when you criticize the way Duke players treated each other a couple years ago. " look in the mirror. this is the point I have been trying to make in this thread.

If anything, I try to point out an obvious hypocrisy that some of you fail to admit. I am sorry if some of my posts have a UNC slant. I forgive all of you for having a slant towards Duke. I try to be civil all of the time. I threw out a comment two days ago and got banned for 2 days. Had one of you said the same thing I did, I doubt you would have received the same treatment. Attack the post and not the poster was the reason for the infraction and I would imagine your comment would fall in the same category. However, nothing will be done and you guys will continue to demean my posts as petty and void of substance.
    There's nothing wrong with having a UNC slant. That part is appreciated. However, unsubstantative trash talking, unfounded claims about how Duke's players, coaches and fans turn on each other when things go badly, and condescendingly telling us who we are, how we'd react in certain situations, and how we will act in the future - when you don't know any of us and have no idea - does not simply fall under the "UNC slant" blanket.

And most of this "obvious hypocrisy" isn't actually hypocrisy, it's just being a fan. I mean, there's no need to point out that we wouldn't be making fun of Duke players if we dressed up. That's how it works. We're Duke fans, it's a rivalry. There's nothing inherently wrong with that.

Lastly, I apologize if you feel excessively attacked, but I think I pointed out pretty specifically what bothered me in your posts below. Thanks for the negative feedback points though!

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post
    However, unsubstantative trash talking, unfounded claims about how Duke's players, coaches and fans turn on each other when things go badly, and condescendingly telling us who we are, how we'd react in certain situations, and how we will act in the future - when you don't know any of us and have no idea - does not simply fall under the "UNC slant" blanket.
    Those comments were not aimed solely at Duke, but a tendency of all sports teams when things start going wrong. If you read it any other way, then I apologize. I guess I should have clarified it more or perhaps started a separate paragraph. I would give you back your positive points, but it says i have to wait a while.

Those comments were not aimed solely at Duke, but a tendency of all sports teams when things start going wrong. If you read it any other way, then I apologize. I guess I should have clarified it more or perhaps started a separate paragraph. I would give you back your positive points, but it says i have to wait a while.
    Ok I just read through this whole debate going on here and I would have to completely agree with kong. Its like I stated in another post that to many people on here read into what is being asked/said. I never took anything he said as hate and I understood everything he said and thought it was correct. I am a huge Duke fan and do not agree with most UNC fans but I enjoy having kong in here for his take on things with his biased view and kinda think its embarrising that he gets treated like he does by the members on here(constantly getting banned) for his opinions and takes on things.

Decorum and Civility

All-

Please try to maintain civility and avoid getting into bickering wars with one another. Keep the focus on the topic at hand - how silly UNC's "Late Night with Roy" is (and whether or not it reflects positively or negatively on the program) - rather than on attacking posters for their opinions.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Quote Originally Posted by Duke: A Dynasty View Post
    Ok I just read through this whole debate going on here and I would have to completely agree with kong. Its like I stated in another post that to many people on here read into what is being asked/said. I never took anything he said as hate and I understood everything he said and thought it was correct. I am a huge Duke fan and do not agree with most UNC fans but I enjoy having kong in here for his take on things with his biased view and kinda think its embarrising that he gets treated like he does by the members on here(constantly getting banned) for his opinions and takes on things.
    Very well said... I too appreciate kong's presence here on the board. Some of my good friends are huge Carolina fans. It gives the forum a take on what Carolina fans are truly thinking. Good substance for a great board. It is kinda embaressing i must admit...

The City of Brotherly Love except when it's cold.
    I remember a game during the 09 season where Duke was playing at Florida State(?). In a timeout during the middle of the second half, as Florida St. was running away with the game, I remember seeing clips of the entire team screaming at a player, I think it was Singler, after he evidently made a mistake. I will never forget this. Even the old sideline reporter was looking at the kid as if he was about to slip off the headphones and kick his tail. When things are not going well, there seems to be a lot of hate going on. From the fans, right down to the team. While I can appreciate the intensity that the Duke players play with, its when that intensity is channeled in a negative direction such as the instance I mentioned above. While I do not approve of the way many of the UNC players played last year, I am glad they didn't all turn on each other in the way I mentioned above. Too much stress and too much intensity can create insurmountable obstacles for inexperienced players. Last years UNC team is a prime example of that.
    Well it wasn't Florida State, and since you were inaccurate about the opponent in an event that you stated that you will never forget, I question the accuracy of your depiction or whether it happened it all. Can you substantiate?

Quote Originally Posted by 77devil View Post
    Well it wasn't Florida State, and since you were inaccurate about the opponent in an event that you stated that you will never forget, I question the accuracy of your depiction or whether it happened it all. Can you substantiate?
    He did not claim that to be the correct team. Go back and look he said: Florida State(?) as in he can not quite remember the team

Quote Originally Posted by DevilHorns View Post

Roy, this is a family event. I know what you're thinking daggamit, but please keep all your clothes on!
    Can we get this thread back on topic. I mean just look at HB as a pumpkin. He so cute.

The players dressed up doesnt bother me but Roy with the magician outfit creeps me out.

The Best Part of Late Night With Roy

Did anyone get any pics of the UNC faithfull leaving the scrimmage with several minutes left on the clock? The fans were bored the snooze dome was half full and the IC boards said it sucked and they hated it! Now that is funny!

As far as the pics, I thought it was funny. Roy said on first take this morning he cant dance to Snoop he needs some Marvin Gaye! lol Roy is a playa!

My point a few pages back was that fan bases will look at things through the tints of whatever glasses they happen to wear. If Kyrie came out dressed as a gourd or whatever at CTC -- which I doubt would happen, but humor me -- I guarantee you'd have a pretty decent chunk of people here saying how hilarious it was. I thought the Titanic skit with Nolan was funny myself, but that's because we know and love Nolan. Every other fan base had a field day with it, kind of like we're doing here. Roy Williams looks like a total phony in those pictures -- it's fun, right? Maybe crack a smile? -- but his players at least appear to love it. (Unless they take to Twitter later to express their true opinions -- I kid)

All that said, my favorite thing about the Cameron crowd when I was there was the topical humor. I expect to see banana suits, and that is obviously all in good fun.

In that vein, Kong, you should chill out just a little. Nobody seems to mind you hanging around despite your inauspicious start on this board, but remember that UNC is, you know, Duke's main rival. They show up dressed as fruit after a season when Duke destroyed them and won a National Title, there's going to be a due amount of mirth and frivolity on this board, like it or not, and I think it's tilting at windmills to expect to police it, or to attempt to get people to feel guilty about it. You do that all the time, too. Nobody minds an opposing viewpoint, it can be refreshing, but you really should relax and know your role a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Starter View Post
    My point a few pages back was that fan bases will look at things through the tints of whatever glasses they happen to wear. If Kyrie came out dressed as a gourd or whatever at CTC -- which I doubt would happen, but humor me -- I guarantee you'd have a pretty decent chunk of people here saying how hilarious it was.
    Agree with your overall post (and this isn't directed towards it), but doesn't this go without saying? As you say, that's an obvious characteristic of a rivalry. And if so, ipso facto, isn't repeatedly driving this point into the ground whenever we have a little fun at UNC's expense a little redundant? Needless, even?

You gave a detailed (and thus far unsubstantiated) example of how Duke's "intensity" causes our players to "all turn on each other" when it is "channeled in a negative direction", "from the fans, right down to the team", then contrasted it with UNC's players, whom you are "glad they didn't all turn on each other in the way I mentioned above". Your words, not mine. If you're going to post stuff like that and ruin a good-humored thread like this, please at least own up to it and be able to back it up.

Getting back on topic... bananas and pumpkins and penguins, oh my! Hilariously ridiculous! At least they're ready for the annual romp on Franklin in a f.ew weeks.

I'm beyond swamped with work and school, but if someone has the time and motivation to do so, I would absolutely love to see a demotivational poster designed as follows.

The picture: a split image - on the left, some combination of kyle and/or team along with rings/watches/banner - on the right, a picture of Preparation H (he who soothes the Kerlina butthurt) dressed up as a pumpkin.

The title: Decisions

The subtitle: Decisions are hard. Sometimes we screw them up. Oops.

Thank you in advance.