Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    I honeslty did laugh at the Titanic Skit because of the look on Nolan's face when he asked if he would draw him and I do find the images of the UNC players funny. C'mon there are these giant players in $10 wal-mart costumes designed for little kids...that is funny. There are many different ways of being funny satire is a much more sophisticated form of humor than what the UNC players were doing.

That being said if UNC players decide to dress up and make people laugh by making fools of themselves then don't expect Duke fans to let it slide and not redicule them for it.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperTurkey View Post
    To be fair, Nolan played Kate Winslet in her Titanic nude scene last year, so it's fair to say he's game for anything funny. But this does seem more sad than funny.
    Ouchie...forgot about that one. If given a ticket to the game, I can be persuaded to wear a pink wig, hula skirt & coconut bra.
    Can Nyquil be given through an IV?

Nolan & Titanic

I am still laughing over Nolan and Andre skit from The Titanic (CTC 09)... Nolan being drawn with ONLY HIS ICE on. rofl Nolan is Nolan, anyway.

YouTube - Great Moments in Cinematic History

Glad the 8 miles separates the schools. And the Bananas, and Little Mermaids, Penguins and Magician can stay in CHapel Thrill. LITTLE BOY blue colors, can stay on the Hill, also. I like Big Boy Blue..... Duke Blue!!

Quote Originally Posted by kong123 View Post
    They do stupid things to make their friends laugh and smile. Does that mean that they are stupid? Its all in the name of fun and entertainment. Come on guys! Smile, it will make you feel better.
    Absolutely. The thing is, is it more fun for us to laugh with them or to laugh at them? For me, it's a lot more fun to laugh at them.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    That picture of Roy immediately made me think of "Young Frankenstein". Added coincidence, both are trying to raise the dead.

peterboyle.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 7.jpg (73.9 KB, 4 views)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

The thing to me was that the occasion was different and we held it with a movie type series of skits... UNC chose to do this live during their first time to try to play together officially. This is a bad move on that night IMO. If they had taped it before or even done it in anything other than amateur elementary school quality, it would have been cooler.

As for Nolan's singing and stuff, the man has talent! Seriously though, he did that in his own free time, and K wouldn't let him practice singing rather than playing.

The kids are having fun. Shabazz had fun. It may not be your cup of tea- but then again you hate UNC with everything that you are. You guys will never see it any other way and what does that say about your fan base? The same thing it says about the members of our fan base that cannot realize the hypocrisy. Loosen up and smile a bit more. The people over in Chapel Hill may not of had a good season last year, but they are able to have fun and laugh at one another while pushing the reset button. Another thing to remember, the kid being recruited is a 16 or 17 year old. This kid likes to laugh and be entertained. These kids met a Reggie Bullock or a Harrison Barnes, get to know the guys, and then watch them perform in front of a lot of excited fans. For someone who has a good sense of humor and enjoys laughing and having fun, this creates a great atmosphere. I know you guys have a good sense of humor, but you are not showing it. I laughed this summer when Nolan had that horrible singing video on youtube. I didn't assume anything other than he was being funny. If the shoe was on the other foot, would you have just laughed and moved along? These are kids guys! These are kids relating to other kids and it works. Sure, you had great success last year and we didn't. Is that because our kids laugh and have fun at a Midnight Madness? Sure, we had discipline issues last year on the court, but does that mean that the UNC basketball program is ruined? Come on- guys get a grip. Go look at your kids tonight and watch them play. They do stupid things that make you laugh and smile. They do stupid things to make their friends laugh and smile. Does that mean that they are stupid? Its all in the name of fun and entertainment. Come on guys! Smile, it will make you feel better.
    Agree, this is all in fun. I don't see anything wrong with the costumes, but you have to admit, it provided us with ammo to fire at our "friends" on the hill...

I just think that you guys are just bashing UNC just to do it. That's fine. I get it. In a few years, we will have just as much fun at your expense. But from a completely different perspective, Shabazz seemed to have a lot of fun the other night! He is a big Vince Carter fan and I believe he will be wearing the lighter shade of blue in a couple of seasons.

I just think that you guys are just bashing UNC just to do it. That's fine. I get it. In a few years, we will have just as much fun at your expense. But from a completely different perspective, Shabazz seemed to have a lot of fun the other night! He is a big Vince Carter fan and I believe he will be wearing the lighter shade of blue in a couple of seasons.
    I have no problem with the UNC players doing what they did at midnight madness. I agree that the Duke fans are being extremely hypocritical due in large part to Nolan's antics. He has been an entertaining personality and a big reason why the Duke team is such a close family in recent years. The fundamental difference between how well teams have played together in recent years is about the players' personalities, and not just how coach K and Co. run things. Remember how awful 04-05 was? Duke fans hated that year not just because of our record, but because of how the Duke players seemed to hate each other when they played.

I will say that I think Roy's antics should be criticized. He isn't a 20 year old kid, and I don't give him the same amount of freedom to be silly. Now, my primary issue with him being silly is that I believe it is fake. I don't think he ever acts like that behind closed doors (regardless of whether it's a serious practice or a team dinner). This opinion is fairly unbased, but I doubt too many Tar Heel fans would disagree with it. Roy isn't Bruce Perl (school spirit wise), and never will be. He continues to put himself first and his players second.

It will be interesting to see the season develop. UNC has the potential to be a good team, but they are completely unproven and I can't wait to see how they react to a few obstacles (especially whom Roy finds to blame).

I just think that you guys are just bashing UNC just to do it. That's fine. I get it.
    Well, of course! Personally, I laughed at the pictures because I think they're goofy. I'm sure you laughed at Nolan's Titanic skit because it was goofy. I agree that it's all in fun on both sides. To be honest, as a Duke fan, I don't like to see UNC players having fun and goofing off together -- I'd prefer consistent and extreme chemistry problems.

The Heels goofed off at Midnight Madness with the freshmen getting the most ridiculous costumes...

Bench players caught on camera laughing during the Maryland loss in '08...

Danny Green dancing during intros...

Will Graves high fiving cheerleaders (and then smoking up with them )...

I love that the negative against Carolina (prior to last season's performance, chemistry, attitude and coaching job) is that the team has too much fun. How could any recruit choose that?!

Quote Originally Posted by shoutingncu View Post
    The Heels goofed off at Midnight Madness with the freshmen getting the most ridiculous costumes...

Bench players caught on camera laughing during the Maryland loss in '08...

Danny Green dancing during intros...

Will Graves high fiving cheerleaders (and then smoking up with them )...

I love that the negative against Carolina (prior to last season's performance, chemistry, attitude and coaching job) is that the team has too much fun.
    Not sure if last year can be broken out like that. The looseness and lack of seriousness that can be dismissed as harmless goofing off when you have the most talented team in the country can quickly turn into chemistry and attitudes problems when you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by dbluedevil222 View Post
    Remember how awful 04-05 was? Duke fans hated that year not just because of our record, but because of how the Duke players seemed to hate each other when they played.
    Did you mean 06-07 perhaps? The 04-05 team went 27-6, won the ACC, and went to the Sweet Sixteen. Regardless, I don't remember thinking that any Duke players hated each other when they were playing, whether it was 04-05 or 06-07.

Quote Originally Posted by El_Diablo View Post
    Did you mean 06-07 perhaps? The 04-05 team went 27-6, won the ACC, and went to the Sweet Sixteen. Regardless, I don't remember thinking that any Duke players hated each other when they were playing, whether it was 04-05 or 06-07.
    I remember a game during the 09 season where Duke was playing at Florida State(?). In a timeout during the middle of the second half, as Florida St. was running away with the game, I remember seeing clips of the entire team screaming at a player, I think it was Singler, after he evidently made a mistake. I will never forget this. Even the old sideline reporter was looking at the kid as if he was about to slip off the headphones and kick his tail. When things are not going well, there seems to be a lot of hate going on. From the fans, right down to the team. While I can appreciate the intensity that the Duke players play with, its when that intensity is channeled in a negative direction such as the instance I mentioned above. While I do not approve of the way many of the UNC players played last year, I am glad they didn't all turn on each other in the way I mentioned above. Too much stress and too much intensity can create insurmountable obstacles for inexperienced players. Last years UNC team is a prime example of that.

Quote Originally Posted by El_Diablo View Post
    Yes correction, I meant 06-07. I didn't say hated each other as human beings, I said hated playing with each other. If you disagree with that, perhaps you should watch some replays and notice McRoberts' demeanor and how the players interacted during games. They yelled at each other in an nonconstructive manner, and looked "pissy" whenever the team was losing. It stuck out quite a bit, and made me question the future potential of the program. It was not a good year to be a blue devil fan.

I think criticizing your own program is a healthy thing (something Thomas Jefferson would call "vital," albeit about more important things than basketball), and the ability to call someone out on bad attitude is very important. It's how we avoid issues other schools are having where players get kicked off the team for the generic "Violation of Team Rules."

Edit, I read what I originally wrote. "hated each other when they played" was my way of saying "hated playing with each other" just like when a person says, "I hate you when you do that" does not mean he/she universally hates you.
    Last edited by dbluedevil222; 10-20-2010 at 05:39 PM.

I remember a game during the 09 season where Duke was playing at Florida State(?). In a timeout during the middle of the second half, as Florida St. was running away with the game, I remember seeing clips of the entire team screaming at a player, I think it was Singler, after he evidently made a mistake. I will never forget this. Even the old sideline reporter was looking at the kid as if he was about to slip off the headphones and kick his tail. When things are not going well, there seems to be a lot of hate going on. From the fans, right down to the team. While I can appreciate the intensity that the Duke players play with, its when that intensity is channeled in a negative direction such as the instance I mentioned above. While I do not approve of the way many of the UNC players played last year, I am glad they didn't all turn on each other in the way I mentioned above. Too much stress and too much intensity can create insurmountable obstacles for inexperienced players. Last years UNC team is a prime example of that.
    What would make you think that there was any "hate" going on? Surely you can agree that you can yell at your teammate during the heat of the moment and not hate them. I used to have to yell at my kids when they were younger and misbehaved. I wonder if you saw me doing that if you would infer that I hated them? You are making quite an assumption don't you think?

Quote Originally Posted by oldnavy View Post
    What would make you think that there was any "hate" going on? Surely you can agree that you can yell at your teammate during the heat of the moment and not hate them. I used to have to yell at my kids when they were younger and misbehaved. I wonder if you saw me doing that if you would infer that I hated them? You are making quite an assumption don't you think?
    No, the use of hate wasn't meant as actual hate. they were "hating" on each other. they were allowing the stress to get to them and they all turned on one guy.

It's sad but the fellow in the top hat and cane looks awful old.

The kids are having fun. Shabazz had fun. It may not be your cup of tea- but then again you hate UNC with everything that you are. You guys will never see it any other way and what does that say about your fan base? The same thing it says about the members of our fan base that cannot realize the hypocrisy. Loosen up and smile a bit more. The people over in Chapel Hill may not of had a good season last year, but they are able to have fun and laugh at one another while pushing the reset button.
    Personally, I think Kong has it right here. It seems to me that the whole point of their event (in the absence of any banner-raising) was to show their fans a good time.These are just kids being kids, and the fact that they were willing to do that stuff shows that they don't take themselves too seriously and are able to lighten up. At the same time, however, if some of our fans used that material as taunting ammunition in february, I certainly wouldn't object.

No, the use of hate wasn't meant as actual hate. they were "hating" on each other. they were allowing the stress to get to them and they all turned on one guy.
    Kind of like the "HATE" that your season ticket holder's and fan base showed last year by not attending games, as the ship was going down? I know it wasnt just "one guy." Is that "hating" as well?