Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Olek Czyz in Reno

Concerning the front page-linked article about Olek's new gig in Reno, did anyone else find it strange that the coach was suggesting that Olek sit out all of this year and only starting to play in 2011-12, with only 2 years of eligibility remaining? He put it in the context that Olek could choose to sit out the whole year, if he wanted to. Why on earth would he assume that Olek wants to lose a semester of games? Does he think that Olek doesn't want to play or is it possible that he thinks Olek is a bad mix for this year's team?
    I just thought it really strange cuz usually coaches say things like "we can't wait for him to be ready to play for us" when talking about transfers.
    Last edited by DukieInBrasil; 10-17-2010 at 04:20 PM. Reason: clarity

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    Concerning the front page-linked article about Olek's new gig in Reno, did anyone else find it strange that the coach was suggesting that Olek sit out all of this year and only starting to play in 2011-12, with only 2 years of eligibility remaining? He put it in the context that Olek could choose to sit out the whole year, if he wanted to. Why on earth would he assume that Olek wants to lose a semester of games? Does he think that Olek doesn't want to play or is it possible that he thinks Olek is a bad mix for this year's team?
    I just thought it really strange cuz usually coaches say things like "we can't wait for him to be ready to play for us" when talking about transfers.
    That confused me too. I was under the impression that Olek can play 2 seasons after this one regardless of whether he plays in the second semester. The coach made it seem like he would be a junior in the spring if he plays (without actually saying that) I know Jamal transferred at the same stage in his career and played a 2.5 seasons at Cal, so I would think that Olek could do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by SCMatt33 View Post
    That confused me too. I was under the impression that Olek can play 2 seasons after this one regardless of whether he plays in the second semester. The coach made it seem like he would be a junior in the spring if he plays (without actually saying that) I know Jamal transferred at the same stage in his career and played a 2.5 seasons at Cal, so I would think that Olek could do the same.

I think if Olek plays this year then he will only have 1 year left. Whereas if he sits out this year, he will still have 2 years of eligibility left.

Quote Originally Posted by nocilla View Post
    I think if Olek plays this year then he will only have 1 year left. Whereas if he sits out this year, he will still have 2 years of eligibility left.
    How? I cited Jamal specifically as an example because he transferred at the same time in his career that Olek did. He played 1.5 seasons at Duke, sat out the second semester in 06-07 and the first in 07-08, then played 2.5 seasons at Cal. Why couldn't Olek do the same?

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    The DBR made a mistake. The Nevada coach says he does want Czyz to play this year: "We'll see what he wants to do," Carter said. "I'd like for him to play (this season), but that's totally up to him."

I don't know the intimate details of this situation, but from what I understand from the article, Olek has 2 years of eligibility remaining right now. He is not eligible until the first semester ends per the one year transfer rule. If he plays as soon as he becomes eligible, he will use one year of eligibility for however many games Nevada has left, which is around 20, plus postseason. He cannot choose to use half a year of eligibility or anything like that. If he decides to sit this year out, he will be able to play 2 full seasons starting next year.

Talking Years, not Semesters

Quote Originally Posted by nocilla View Post
    I don't know the intimate details of this situation, but from what I understand from the article, Olek has 2 years of eligibility remaining right now. He is not eligible until the first semester ends per the one year transfer rule. If he plays as soon as he becomes eligible, he will use one year of eligibility for however many games Nevada has left, which is around 20, plus postseason. He cannot choose to use half a year of eligibility or anything like that. If he decides to sit this year out, he will be able to play 2 full seasons starting next year.
    Or, to put it another way, the NCAA grants eligibility in terms of years and seasons, not semesters or quarters. Thus, playing a part of one season uses a year of eligibility. For players who play few games because of injury, which is not Olek's case, the NCAA considers applications for an additional year.

sagegrouse

So apparently, Jamal was granted a medical waiver for the three games he played for Duke in 2006-07. I had assumed that mono would not be severe enough to grant a hardship waiver and that he could have been cleared medically to play after the transfer had he been eligible and therefore a waiver wouldn't have been given, leading me to believe that he played 2.5 years without one.

waiver

Quote Originally Posted by SCMatt33 View Post
    So apparently, Jamal was granted a medical waiver for the three games he played for Duke in 2006-07. I had assumed that mono would not be severe enough to grant a hardship waiver and that he could have been cleared medically to play after the transfer had he been eligible and therefore a waiver wouldn't have been given, leading me to believe that he played 2.5 years without one.
    This is correct ... the NCAA does not allow you to "split" years of eligibility.

Technically, Olek played two of his four allowable seasons at Duke -- all of 2009 (although he appeared in just 13 games) and six games in 2010. Now, he could -- like Jamal -- apply for hardship and get the second year back, but he didn't have an injury, so that's no good.

He has two years left and he has to sit out the first semester to complete his one-year transfer layoff. Now, he could apply for a hardship there -- as Elliot Williams did, but if he were going to do that, he should have done it a year ago and played second semester of last year. But that kind of waiver requires a reason (as with Elliot's ailing mother) ... no reason there.

So Olek basically has two options -- he can play at mid-December, missing a few early season games, and have the rest of the 2011 season and the 2012 season to play. He really gets more than half a season -- he'll be eligible whenever Reno's first semester is over (I know the Georgetown transfer at Wake, who is in the same situarion, is going to miss just their first eight games).

Or he can redshirt this season and play in 2011 and 2012.

Knowing that Olek declined Coach K's suggestion that he redshirt in 2008-09, I'd be surprised if he elects to redshirt now.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    This is correct ... the NCAA does not allow you to "split" years of eligibility.

Technically, Olek played two of his four allowable seasons at Duke -- all of 2009 (although he appeared in just 13 games) and six games in 2010. Now, he could -- like Jamal -- apply for hardship and get the second year back, but he didn't have an injury, so that's no good.

He has two years left and he has to sit out the first semester to complete his one-year transfer layoff. Now, he could apply for a hardship there -- as Elliot Williams did, but if he were going to do that, he should have done it a year ago and played second semester of last year. But that kind of waiver requires a reason (as with Elliot's ailing mother) ... no reason there.

So Olek basically has two options -- he can play at mid-December, missing a few early season games, and have the rest of the 2011 season and the 2012 season to play. He really gets more than half a season -- he'll be eligible whenever Reno's first semester is over (I know the Georgetown transfer at Wake, who is in the same situarion, is going to miss just their first eight games).

Or he can redshirt this season and play in 2011 and 2012.

Knowing that Olek declined Coach K's suggestion that he redshirt in 2008-09, I'd be surprised if he elects to redshirt now.
    Just to clarify?
    He can begin playing in December 2010, play the remainder of the 2010-2011 season
    and finish by playing 2011-12 season

or

He can begin playing in November 2011, play the entire 2011-12 season
    and finish by playing the entire 2012-13 season

Is that right?

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Just to clarify?
    He can begin playing in December 2010, play the remainder of the 2010-2011 season
    and finish by playing 2011-12 season

or

He can begin playing in November 2011, play the entire 2011-12 season
    and finish by playing the entire 2012-13 season

Is that right?
    Exactly, that's how I understand the rule now.

14.2.3.1 Minimum Amount of Competition. Any competition, regardless of time, during a season in an intercollegiate sport shall be counted as a season of competition in that sport, except as provided in Bylaws 14.2.3.1.1, 14.2.3.1.2, 14.2.3.1.3 and 14.2.3.1.4. This provision is applicable to intercollegiate athletics competition conducted by a two-year or four-year collegiate institution at the varsity or subvarsity level. (Revised: 1/11/94, 4/28/05 effective 8/1/05, 5/9/06, 1/16/10 effective 8/1/10)

The revisions and exceptions noted address minor issues like participating in certain types of exhibitions like scrimmages and alumni games which may not count based on the circumstances. Since Olek played in regular season games last year, it counts as a season unless he is granted a waiver, which would require a compelling reason, which he likely doesn't have.

Olek's Debut

Looks like our old friend Olek Czyz dropped 23 points in his debut for Nevada on 9-13 shooting and (shockingly) 3-5 from three. Glad to see him succeeding in Reno, but damn, I found this surprising, even though it was against subpar competition.
    Link: http://espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=303652440

Quote Originally Posted by taiw93 View Post
    Looks like our old friend Olek Czyz dropped 23 points in his debut for Nevada on 9-13 shooting and (shockingly) 3-5 from three. Glad to see him succeeding in Reno, but damn, I found this surprising, even though it was against subpar competition.
    Actually this was his fifth game, still a good game by Olek. His first game was against Arizona St.

Quote Originally Posted by taiw93 View Post
    The Hawaii game is actually Olek's fifth with Nevada. His debut came against Arizona State on December 17. Here is a link to Nevada's schedule/results, together with game stats. He's doing pretty well, there--at least for the moment. Let's hope he continues.

Oops - poor research on my part. This was the first I had heard of him playing, and I'm a little disappointed to see that his previous few games have not been nearly as impressive. However, it does appear that Olek is getting big-time minutes, and I'm happy for him in that regard. Hopefully he can continue to play like he did yesterday!

Olek Czyz is blowing it up out in Reno. After sitting out the first 8 games or so, he slowly started to get back into the groove, but he has set new career highs in each of the last 2 games, going for 23 and then 26 points! Plus he's shooting well from the floor and from 3 in the last 3 games (5-10, 9-13 and 10-12 FGs and 6-13 3FGs in those 3 games). Congrats to Olek for making the most of his new situation.
    http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=310030278 gives the box score for the game, which Czyz's Wolfpack lost.

I was at his game last night in Fresno and boy did he look good. They ran everything threw him and he was a matchup nightmare as a 4 man for Fresno State, who still held on for the win.

Olek Czyz

Saw him playing with Nevada today. He was looking pretty good... he's come a long way. Dropped 25 against Utah St and had a very nice game against Fresno St...

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    Saw him playing with Nevada today. He was looking pretty good... he's come a long way. Dropped 25 against Utah St and had a very nice game against Fresno St...
    You live in the area, FF50?

Quote Originally Posted by ChemGod View Post
    You live in the area, FF50?
    Nah saw it while I was at the gym in Raleigh NC... made me go look up how he's doing this year.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/players/81979