Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    In the new BCS poll, Stanford is 4, Wisconsin is 5 and Ohio State is 6. Since the Big 10 has finished its schedule, there is no way that Ohio State can jump over Wisconsin.

And, Stanford TCU have finished their schedules so they cannot drop either.

Question then: If Oregon State beats Oregon and Auburn loses to SC, would the title game be Stanford-TCU even though Oregon beat Stanford in the regular season? If the answer is No, then who would TCU play for the championship...I guess probably Auburn based on its strength of schedule.
    Last edited by NYC Duke Fan; 11-29-2010 at 12:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by calltheobvious View Post
    I know which team you're referring to, but the least-talked-about issue in the whole discussion has been that Oregon's top ranking (the one they had before tonight) hasn't really been questioned at all.

Oregon has one impressive win. One. And it was at home. If Boise had beaten Nevada, I would have screamed from the rooftops that the Broncos were more deserving than the Ducks.
    Yeah, not that it matters right now, but Auburn should absolutely be ranked #1. 12-0 in the SEC West (5 out of 6 teams are ranked) with four wins against (at the time) top 15 teams, in addition to a wins against Clemson and wins at UGa and Mississippi State. What more do they have to do, beat the Chargers?

What would REALLY be interesting is if Auburn falls to USC. Kind of sucks for them that they're going into the SEC championship game with everything to lose and absolutely nothing to gain, in terms of national championship aspirations.

Oregon/Stanford

Interesting that if Auburn loses then Oregon and Stanford may be No. 1 and 3 in the BCS as well as polls.

Stanford beat Sacramento State, powerful Wake Forest and Notre Dame in OOC.

Oregon beat New Mexico, Tennessee and Portland State in OOC.

Since the consensus seems to be that the remainder of the PAC-10 is not very good; explain how these teams are better than essentially everyone else (particularly since everyone knows TCU hasn't played anyone).

College football with the bowl system in place is so corrupt - but I guess as long as ticket sales and tv ratings are good, no one of any importance seems to care.

TCU to move to Big East

http://ncaafootball.fanhouse.com/201...from-big-east/

Should make 'the difficult question' slightly less difficult, no?

Frankly, I'm glad. It's the first step in fixing a lot of this madness that goes on year in and year out with talented teams in less-than-talented conferences running the table and, thus, claiming they're every bit as good as the top tier BCS conference teams.

Do I think TCU is as good as Auburn or Oregon? Maybe.

At least now (well, year after next and in the future) they'll have a consistent chance to prove it.

...on a separate note...

Is Forth Worth even considered East Texas??...let alone East United States???

Quote Originally Posted by JohnGalt View Post
    ...on a separate note...

Is Forth Worth even considered East Texas??...let alone East United States???
    Maybe they should just call it The Big Conference. Drop the East altogether.

Will TCU also play basketball in the Big East? They are going to get crushed!

-Jason "I agree, this is good for TCU and potentially solves a problem with the college football BCS" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Talking Big Twelve?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Maybe they should just call it The Big Conference. Drop the East altogether.

Will TCU also play basketball in the Big East? They are going to get crushed!

-Jason "I agree, this is good for TCU and potentially solves a problem with the college football BCS" Evans
    I wonder why the Big Twelve didn't show more interest in TCU? Maybe the Texas schools are opposed?

sagegrouse

The City of Brotherly Love except when it's cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by NYC Duke Fan View Post
    In the new BCS poll, Stanford is 4, Wisconsin is 5 and Ohio State is 6. Since the Big 10 has finished its schedule, there is no way that Ohio State can jump over Wisconsin.

And, Stanford TCU have finished their schedules so they cannot drop either.

Question then: If Oregon State beats Oregon and Auburn loses to SC, would the title game be Stanford-TCU even though Oregon beat Stanford in the regular season? If the answer is No, then who would TCU play for the championship...I guess probably Auburn based on its strength of schedule.
    Quote Originally Posted by arnie is still king View Post
    Interesting that if Auburn loses then Oregon and Stanford may be No. 1 and 3 in the BCS as well as polls.

Stanford beat Sacramento State, powerful Wake Forest and Notre Dame in OOC.

Oregon beat New Mexico, Tennessee and Portland State in OOC.

Since the consensus seems to be that the remainder of the PAC-10 is not very good; explain how these teams are better than essentially everyone else (particularly since everyone knows TCU hasn't played anyone).

College football with the bowl system in place is so corrupt - but I guess as long as ticket sales and tv ratings are good, no one of any importance seems to care.
    Check out Jim3K's post on the OTB about Stanford football attendance. There is concern among the major BCS bowls about Stanford's ability to draw. Can't see the BCS mavens allowing Stanford anywhere near the championship game no matter how the other teams in contention finish. I'm guessing they are already working on cooking the books just in case.

Yep, the Fix Will Be In

Quote Originally Posted by 77devil View Post
    Check out Jim3K's post on the OTB about Stanford football attendance. There is concern among the major BCS bowls about Stanford's ability to draw. Can't see the BCS mavens allowing Stanford anywhere near the championship game no matter how the other teams in contention finish. I'm guessing they are already working on cooking the books just in case.
    Stanford needs to be an automatic qualifier to get a BCS bid. The Cardinal would probably play TCU as the last choices, unless Stanford is one of the top two teams in the BCS rankings.

If I were Stanford AD, I would say; forget home attendance. We have a world-wdie alumni base that will show up for a major bowl game. The fact that attendance lags for home games is more a reflection of the number of alums in the Bay Area.

sagegrouse

I believe the rule is that if there is a non-AQ team in the top 4, the bowl that loses the #1 team is obligated to take the non-AQ team. Before last night's standings, it was Oregon at #1 and TCU would be headed to Pasadena to face the Big 10 champ. Now that Auburn is #1, TCU would face an at-large in the Sugar Bowl (Arkansas?)

Someone should call up the Ohio State president and inform him that his school shouldn't ever be considered to play in title games because it gets to play the "Little Sisters of the Poor" every week. It doesn't have to go through the week-in and week-out "murderer's row" that other teams have to go through on their schedules.

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    Someone should call up the Ohio State president and inform him that his school shouldn't ever be considered to play in title games because it gets to play the "Little Sisters of the Poor" every week. It doesn't have to go through the week-in and week-out "murderer's row" that other teams have to go through on their schedules.
    I hope he wasn't saying that about TCU, because they looked pretty strong. In fact, that has been my favorite bowl game so far:

1. TCU/Wisconsin
    2. Florida/Penn st.
    3. UNC/Tennessee (although I didn't like the outcome...still a good game.)

REALLY looking forward to the Ducks/War Eagle