Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

UCONNvict admits "major" violations

from yahoo

"The University Connecticut says its men's basketball program committed major NCAA recruiting violations. The school imposed its own sanctions, including two years' probation and a loss of one scholarship for the next two seasons."

yet they are trying to say calhoun is clean. right...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101008/...bkc_uconn_ncaa

Quote Originally Posted by grossbus View Post
    from yahoo

"The University Connecticut says its men's basketball program committed major NCAA recruiting violations. The school imposed its own sanctions, including two years' probation and a loss of one scholarship for the next two seasons."

yet they are trying to say calhoun is clean. right...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101008/...bkc_uconn_ncaa
    Major? And yet they only put themselves on "probation?" How does a school put itself on probation? If they do the same thing again, are they going to get really stern?

Losing one schollie fo two years. Big deal. They weren't even close to 13 this year, and likely won't be next year. How often have they given out the full 13?

They are counting on Calhoun's age and illness to lighten the penalties. I hope the NCAA slaps uCon silly.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Major? And yet they only put themselves on "probation?" How does a school put itself on probation? If they do the same thing again, are they going to get really stern?

Losing one schollie fo two years. Big deal. They weren't even close to 13 this year, and likely won't be next year. How often have they given out the full 13?

They are counting on Calhoun's age and illness to lighten the penalties. I hope the NCAA slaps uCon silly.
    I doubt it. I suspect URI and Yale will see major penalties soon.Might even be so bad as to spread into NY state too and affect Army and Albany. (more )

I am deeply disappointed the university is in this position," University of Connecticut President Philip E. Austin said in a statement. "It is clear mistakes have been made. This is a serious matter and we have worked in full cooperation with the NCAA. We look forward to fully resolving these issues and restoring our men's basketball program to a level of unquestioned integrity."
    Awesome use of the passive voice.

"We look forward to . . . restoring our men's basketball program to a level of unquestioned integrity."
    Awesome use of the living-in-a-fantasy-world-delusional-parellell-universe voice.

Good thing no players are accused of misconduct, otherwise the administration would have to hand-out month-long suspensions. They'd have to act fast, too, lest the suspensions overlap with conference play.

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    Good thing no players are accused of misconduct, otherwise the administration would have to hand-out month-long suspensions. They'd have to act fast, too, lest the suspensions overlap with conference play.
    All offending players will have to use a #3 pencil on their tests.

Interesting that UConn's response did not address Nochminson in any way. His story (a former team manager who turned agent and tried to induce players to sign with him) and his connection to the program are the most serious allegations that were leveled against UConn. The NCAA is really looking to crack down on the agent stuff and if the NCAA found anything to believe in the Nochminson story then UConn will almost certainly be getting stiffer penalties. Sadly, it looks like nothing was provable there.

It will also be interesting to see how the NCAA responds to the admission of guilt on the part of Sellers and Archibald. They were both members of the basketball staff who broke rules and then lied to investigators about it in an effort to cover it up. Sure, the rules they broke (telephone records and ticket giveaways) were not exactly the most serious violations, but we hear it all the time -- "it is not the crime but the coverup that gets you into trouble."

It is hard for UConn to claim with a straight face that there was an atmosphere of compliance in the program when 2 members of the basketball staff lied in NCAA investigators.

We will see what the NCAA does. Is it in the mood to slap another high-profile program? The NCAA may think that if it hands out a series of very serious punishments -- especially where schools appeared to defy and stymie investigations -- then it will really get the attention of member institutions.

--Jason "I hope UConn gets pummeled-- Calhoun is scum" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    We will see what the NCAA does. Is it in the mood to slap another high-profile program? The NCAA may think that if it hands out a series of very serious punishments -- especially where schools appeared to defy and stymie investigations -- then it will really get the attention of member institutions.

--Jason "I hope UConn gets pummeled-- Calhoun is scum" Evans
    With new president Emmert, that sounds exactly like his plan.

http://www.ncaa.com/genrel/091410aaa.html
    Incoming NCAA President Mark Emmert says he supports harsher penalties for rules violators and that he hopes to work with players unions to help police agents.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

NCAA, USC, UConn and Calhoun

The NCAA's philosophy is that member schools want to win within the rules. So the schools are supposed to police themselves and call infractions on themselves. I think USC
    's biggest problems in the Bush case were that they did not investigate when allegations were made against Bush's family and that an assistant coach was thought to have lied about it.

So UConn calling penalties on themselves is what the NCAA wants. Of course, these penalties look pretty light to me and I hope to the NCAA. I would guess that UConn thinks or hopes that their pro-active move will lessen the NCAA penalties.

What is most interesting to me is that you have a player with a very bad rep. Calhoun took him then he get expelled for sexual assault and went to a JC. The UConn staff violated the rules trying to recruit him back to UConn. Shows how desperate they must be.

SoCal

Quote Originally Posted by monkey View Post
    Awesome use of the passive voice.
    Yes, I fully expect that "Mistakes were made" will soon replace "The dog was kicked" as the official example of the passive voice in all guides to English usage.

Indeed, "The dog was kicked" [Yeah, but who kicked the dog?] sounds positively quaint compared to the now-ubiquitous "Mistakes were made" [Yeah, but who made the mistakes?], which has come into its own in politics the world over. Glad to see university presidents and coaches at all levels are patterning their [not-]mea culpas after politicians.

Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    Yes, I fully expect that "Mistakes were made" will soon replace "The dog was kicked" as the official example of the passive voice in all guides to English usage.

Indeed, "The dog was kicked" [Yeah, but who kicked the dog?] sounds positively quaint compared to the now-ubiquitous "Mistakes were made" [Yeah, but who made the mistakes?], which has come into its own in politics the world over. Glad to see university presidents and coaches at all levels are patterning their [not-]mea culpas after politicians.
    Maybe at Ucon it should be "Who let the Dogs Out?"

wouldn't it be

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Maybe at Ucon it should be "Who let the Dogs Out?"
    "The dogs were let out"?

UConn: Self-imposed penalties to preclude draconian NCAA sanctions
    Assessment: Too little, too late, with insufficient focus on root causes, and with inadequate contrition or permanent corrective actions to ensure no repetitions.
    Prediction: Substantial, additional NCAA sanctions including a finding of "lack of institutional control."

Should the ncaa just create a rule that bans all coaches whose last names start with "Cal"? I'm detecting a trend here.
    "Just be you. You is Enough."

Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    How could you link that article and not provide this juicy quote?

The university will admit that the potted plant in the corner of the office committed an NCAA violation before Calhoun did.
    -Jason "seriously, providing a quote or context to go with a link is just good posting etiquette" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Here's another excellent take (my opinion obviously) on the situation at UConn:

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-...6810941.column

Playing the part of Jim Calhoun ... Sargeant Schultz ... Oberfeldwebel (Master Sergeant) Hans Georg Schultz

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgcxGFmYyPs

http://www.wavsource.com/snds_2010-1...ns_nothing.wav

Last edited by WiJoe; 10-09-2010 at 01:06 AM.

Ok, just to be clear, I really don't try to enjoy the misery of others, sometimes it just happens.

That being said, this is definitely going on the list of Why I Love 2010. Top of the list is still the National Championship followed by other 09/10 team achievements. AR commitment. K's team USA gold. Pretty much everything that has happened with Carolina basketball since January 1, from game play to transfers to recruiting to dismissals. Carolina football has been a joy. Kentucky basketball in March is on the list, and Enes Kanter could add to that. The actions of the UCONNvicts has been amusing going back to their on court outcomes last season. This is just the cherry, or at least the whipped cream. What am I forgetting?

Man, when order restores itself, it doesn't mess around.