Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

NL Playoffs thread

Predictions, discussions, comments go here.

Let me get you started --

1) The Reds do not have a chance. Their record was inflated by playing the majority of their games against a truly lousy division. The Phillies buzzsaw of a starting rotation will mow them down and the Reds don't even begin to have the pitching of the other teams in the NL playoffs.

2) The first team to score 2 runs will win each game in the Braves-Giants series. I think the over-under on runs scored in each game should be 4.5

3) Bobby Cox holding back Tim Hudson to not start until game 3 is a fatal mistake... or it might be genius if the Braves score a run or two for Tommy Hanson.

4) The Phillies will sweep the Reds and take out the Braves/Giants winner in 5 games.

--Jason "not sure I agree with all that, but it should get the conversation started" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    3) Bobby Cox holding back Tim Hudson to not start until game 3 is a fatal mistake... or it might be genius if the Braves score a run or two for Tommy Hanson.
    Possibly. It may just mean that Hudson needed the rest; the Braves worked him hard down the stretch. Not sure there was much of a difference in the way Hudson and Hanson pitched in September/October, though - Hudson just got better (as in some) support.

4) The Phillies will sweep the Reds and take out the Braves/Giants winner in 5 games.
    You probably should have just labeled this thread the "Phillies Coronation Thread." Then again, you could have done the same for the AL thread - I don't see any of the seven other teams in the postseason beating the Phillies in a five or seven-game series.

The Reds might actually have a better chance since they only have to steal three games.
    Last edited by Duvall; 10-06-2010 at 11:13 AM.

Predictions, discussions, comments go here.

Let me get you started --

1) The Reds do not have a chance. Their record was inflated by playing the majority of their games against a truly lousy division. The Phillies buzzsaw of a starting rotation will mow them down and the Reds don't even begin to have the pitching of the other teams in the NL playoffs.

2) The first team to score 2 runs will win each game in the Braves-Giants series. I think the over-under on runs scored in each game should be 4.5

--Jason "not sure I agree with all that, but it should get the conversation started" Evans
    Not so fast Jason. Remember the Central has an extra team: the hapless Pirates, and if you take them away, the 5 NL Central teams have a winning record against the 5 NL East. Additionally, the Phillies, for whatever reason, got to play 3 extra home games this year, which inflates their record. Phils and the Reds have similar away records (43 v 42 wins). The Phillies win differential of 32 comes almost entirely from the NL West (+12 games) and in their division.

Don't get me wrong, the Phillies will win the series. But Cinci actually had a more potent offense this year, the question is the pitching, which is talented but inexperienced.

I'll make a bold prediction - the Phillies lose to the Reds.

The Reds are one of those classic - We Have Nothing to Lose teams going against a team with a lot of pressure (expectations, fan base) that looks like an overwhelming favorite. The Phillies are favored because of their starting pitching. But the Reds have three pretty good starters of their own and a great bullpen. Plus, they have the NL MVP.

A week from now, we'll be hearing stories like, why didn't we see the Reds coming? And they'll be on the cover of SI with a headline: The New Red Machine.
    Singler is IRON

I STILL GOT IT! -- Ryan Kelly, March 2, 2013

Quote Originally Posted by mr. synellinden View Post
    I'll make a bold prediction - the Phillies lose to the Reds.

The Reds are one of those classic - We Have Nothing to Lose teams going against a team with a lot of pressure (expectations, fan base) that looks like an overwhelming favorite. The Phillies are favored because of their starting pitching. But the Reds have three pretty good starters of their own and a great bullpen. Plus, they have the NL MVP.
    Pretty good ain't great. The Phillies' rotation is great.

Also, the Reds don't have a great bullpen.

A week from now, we'll be hearing stories like, why didn't we see the Reds coming? And they'll be on the cover of SI with a headline: The New Red Machine.
    Unlikely. The Phillies have been playing .700 ball since the beginning of August; I would be shocked if the Reds even slowed them down.

Extra home games

Quote Originally Posted by theAlaskanBear View Post
    Not so fast Jason. Remember the Central has an extra team: the hapless Pirates, and if you take them away, the 5 NL Central teams have a winning record against the 5 NL East. Additionally, the Phillies, for whatever reason, got to play 3 extra home games this year, which inflates their record. Phils and the Reds have similar away records (43 v 42 wins). The Phillies win differential of 32 comes almost entirely from the NL West (+12 games) and in their division.

Don't get me wrong, the Phillies will win the series. But Cinci actually had a more potent offense this year, the question is the pitching, which is talented but inexperienced.
    The Phillies series versus Toronto was scheduled for Toronto but moved to Philadelphia because of the security concerns surrounding the G-20 summit which was being held in toronto at the time.
    Last edited by ivduke; 10-06-2010 at 02:27 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    Pretty good ain't great. The Phillies' rotation is great.

Also, the Reds don't have a great bullpen.

Unlikely. The Phillies have been playing .700 ball since the beginning of August; I would be shocked if the Reds even slowed them down.
    And that's why they play the games.

You're probably right about the Reds bullpen though - great is an overstatement.
    Singler is IRON

I STILL GOT IT! -- Ryan Kelly, March 2, 2013

Three, four, four.

Halladay throws the second ever postseason no-hitter. Wow. Great start for the Phils.

http://scores.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=301006122

Quote Originally Posted by DukeUsul View Post
    Halladay throws the second ever postseason no-hitter. Wow. Great start for the Phils.

Such a tragedy that Doc has been this long getting to the playoffs. Imagine the legend he could be if he hadn't been stuck in that frozen canadian wasteland (*wink*) pitching against the Rays/Sox/Yanks all those years.

That pitching staff is amazing...

Images

--Jason "the Reds hit only 4 balls out of the infield all game-- that's sick!" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

reds-Phillies

Obviously, great start by Halladay and the Phillies ... but keep in mind that the goal of every road team in a 2-2-1 series is to split the first two games on the road. That's not going to be easy with Oswalt going in Game 2, but if the Reds do get the split in Philly, they'll return to Cincinnati feeling like they have a great chance.

I heard an interesting analysis by one of the MLB guys who suggested that if your goal is to win the NL pennant and play in the series, you are better off playing the Phillies in the NLDS than in the NLCS.

His point was that the Phillies are clearly the best team in the NL, but the way baseball is, even the best teams lose once and awhile. He argued that an inferior team actually has a better chance in a best-of-5 series than in a best-of-7 series -- the more matchups, the more chance the best team has of winning. Conversely, the less games, the more chances for a fluke upset (as we see every year in the one-and-done NCAA Tournament).

I still favor the Phillies big (even bigger after tonight), but I don't discout the Reds yet. I think they still have a better chance against the Phillies than either the Giants or the Braves will have in the NLCS.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeUsul View Post

Is there such a thing as an easy no-hitter? Wow indeed...true excellence on display.

He faced 28 batters and threw first pitch strikes to 25. And drove in a run!

Hats off to Halladay. As much as I hate the Phillies, I cannot root against the man.

In 64 years, I have watched a lot of baseball; obviously, post-season tends (not universally, but generally) simply to be at a different intensity level. Doc's no hitter last night was superb . . . something to remember with happiness for many years (regardless of any individual's feelings about the Reds or the Phillies).

I read somewhere the other day that in the last 24 five game series in MLB, the team that won game 1 is 21-3! That's crazy!

We'll see if that trend continues this year I guess. Here's hoping the Bravos win tonight and the trend does continue!

Also, I agree with those that think that the Phillies will breeze to the title. They are superior in almost every way to every other team in the playoffs.
    "The future ain't what it used to be."

Sure would be nice to have Yunel Escobar right about now.

Lincecum has been awesome. Grrrrrr. 12 ks in 8 innings and only 2 hits. Not quits Doc's performance, but not far from it.

Gonna have to get it done in the 9th. Will they leave The Freak in or will they go to the best closer in the NL? Freak has 105 pitches thrown so far.

-Jason " I would leave him in" Evans

Lincecum has been awesome. Grrrrrr. 12 ks in 8 innings and only 2 hits. Not quits Doc's performance, but not far from it.

Gonna have to get it done in the 9th. Will they leave The Freak in or will they go to the best closer in the NL? Freak has 105 pitches thrown so far.

-Jason " I would leave him in" Evans
    To be fair, he's only had to face half a lineup tonight. Bit of an advantage.

PROTIP: Most team find it easier to win in postseason play when they bring an actual major league lineup with them.