Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    The comments of the father are particularly striking, as either his daughter was lying to him or he is complicit in enabling violence against his daughter.

As a father myself, I can't imagine sweeping this under the rug simply so a future in-law can potentially collect a big paycheck. Awful all the way around.

s.i.

He just fractured her jaw in two places and it required surgery to repair. That's not that bad.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?!!?

Whenever someone wonders why athletes think they can get away with anything, we all need only remember this story where the victim and her father were both begging for leniency because they were worried that the star player they had cuddled up to might get in trouble and not make his millions.

Pathetic.

My bet is that Dunn gets a fairly minor suspension from Baylor's team -- he misses just 2 or 3 games.

--Jason "and when Dickie V is doing a Baylor game (vs. Kansas perhaps), V will fall all over himself talking about what a wonderful kid Dunn is" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by SCMatt33 View Post
    I've seen plenty of run-ins with the law, and even violent crimes, but I can't remember 3 separate domestic violence related arrests of top level basketball players in this short of a time period. I wasn't really clear before, but I'm specifically referring to domestic violence. I can't remember this many instances this close to each other before.
    This guy has done a fairly comprehensive cataloguing of arrests of college and pro athletes. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...ime/index.html

He reports that so far in 2010 -- year to date -- there have been 125 arrests involving basketball and football players. Women were the alleged victims in at least 22 of the incidents. That's almost 20 percent. 14 of these involved domestic violence. Keep in mind, this is only about 3/4 of one calendar year. And I know you were referring only DV, but the number of arrests involving robbery, assault, drugs, and guns exceed the DV numbers. Pretty depressing.

Quote Originally Posted by striker219 View Post
    So we have LaceDarius Dunn and Tre'Von Willis at guard, Lance Stephenson playing a wing forward (he may be a little undersized but I think we can make it work), and Tony Woods in at center. If the Michigan State sexual assault thing plays out right and we get a decent rebounder, I think we're pretty well set on a starting five for a hardwood remake of The Longest Yard.

With Pitino coaching?

Quote Originally Posted by FireOgilvie View Post
    Sarcasm? It seems obvious to me that the woman and her father are trying to protect LaceDarius. LaceDarius and Lacharlesia (yes, that's her name) have a child together and if he gets kicked out of school and doesn't get to the NBA because of that, they are out of luck.
    No kidding

The "explanations" in my last post that I highlighted were so ludicrous and contradictory (attorney admits his client punched the victim, albeit "only" once after she obviously deserved it since "she got up in his face arguing," while her father goes with the perfectly logical explanation that the jaw was broken while they were "just playing") I assumed everyone realized I was not buying it.

Then again, as a Pittsburgh Steelers fan I admit to being surprised how quickly all apparently has been forgiven by most fans as Ben Roethlisberger returns from his suspension.

Just win baby

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    He just fractured her jaw in two places and it required surgery to repair. That's not that bad.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?!!?

Whenever someone wonders why athletes think they can get away with anything, we all need only remember this story where the victim and her father were both begging for leniency because they were worried that the star player they had cuddled up to might get in trouble and not make his millions.

Pathetic.

My bet is that Dunn gets a fairly minor suspension from Baylor's team -- he misses just 2 or 3 games.

--Jason "and when Dickie V is doing a Baylor game (vs. Kansas perhaps), V will fall all over himself talking about what a wonderful kid Dunn is" Evans
    As a Duke grad and an employee at Baylor, I'll take that bet, Jason.

More details from Jeff Goodman: "She said it was an accident," Charles Edwards told FOXSports.com. "She said she sneaked up on him in the dark and he hit her by mistake. It wasn’t a fight at all."

It's pretty hard to reconcile that with the lawyer's version, where she "got up in his face arguing." Not sure what to believe just yet. Hopefully this all gets cleared up.

Quote Originally Posted by Jderf View Post
    More details from Jeff Goodman: "She said it was an accident," Charles Edwards told FOXSports.com. "She said she sneaked up on him in the dark and he hit her by mistake. It wasn’t a fight at all."

It's pretty hard to reconcile that with the lawyer's version, where she "got up in his face arguing." Not sure what to believe just yet. Hopefully this all gets cleared up.
    Awaits explanation from their lawyer saying he "mis-remembered" his client's story about the "alleged" incident at issue.

EDIT: Drew will not "speculate" on Dunn's future with team.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=5659092

Quote Originally Posted by CLW View Post
    Awaits explanation from their lawyer saying he "mis-remembered" his client's story about the "alleged" incident at issue.

EDIT: Drew will not "speculate" on Dunn's future with team.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=5659092
    The ESPN article (linked above) was updated Friday and indicates that the university has suspended Dunn from attending classes. Pending a university hearing and decision, he is not allowed on campus.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    If I were him I'd be tempted to get an agent and sign with a team overseas ASAP.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

We Shall See

Quote Originally Posted by wacobluedevil View Post
    As a Duke grad and an employee at Baylor, I'll take that bet, Jason.
    At this point, Jason's prediction is looking pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by El_Diablo View Post
    The ESPN article (linked above) was updated Friday and indicates that the university has suspended Dunn from attending classes. Pending a university hearing and decision, he is not allowed on campus.
    Yes, Baylor's LaceDarius Dunn and Wake's Tony Woods are in the same spiral for similar offenses.

If suspended, they cannot attend class which would make them ineligible for second semester academically, unless they do some sort of impromtu quasi semester abroad, correspondence courses, whatever without technically transferring, and get credits that way plus university accepts those credits.

Quote Originally Posted by slower View Post
    At this point, Jason's prediction is looking pretty good.
    I don't know. If he's not even allowed on campus he might fall too far behind academically.

Quote Originally Posted by Turtleboy View Post
    I don't know. If he's not even allowed on campus he might fall too far behind academically.
    I'm feeling pretty good about my bet with Jason.

Who says TX is tougher on crime than NC? Baylor folded, Wake did not.

http://gary-parrish.blogs.cbssports...71764/25225017

Quote Originally Posted by ACCBBallFan View Post
    Who says TX is tougher on crime than NC? Baylor folded, Wake did not.

http://gary-parrish.blogs.cbssports...71764/25225017
    Looks like Evans might have been off with his estimate of a 2-3 game suspension after all. Dunn might not even miss a single practice.

I'm feeling pretty good about my bet with Jason.
    Still feeling good?

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Still feeling good?
    Yeah, I am, and if any school (or fans thereof) should be cautious about making pronouncements about the alleged misdeeds of athletes prior to the conclusion of judicial proceedings, it should be Duke (can you say lacrosse?).

Yeah, I am
    Why?

Yeah, I am, and if any school (or fans thereof) should be cautious about making pronouncements about the alleged misdeeds of athletes prior to the conclusion of judicial proceedings, it should be Duke (can you say lacrosse?).
    I wasn't making any pronouncements nor was I making a judgment about whether he was innocent or guilty. I was merely asking whether you still felt good about your bet.