Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Quote Originally Posted by arnie is still king View Post
    I think you are missing the perspective from Baylor's standpoint. They were in the Southwest conference for years and now in the Big 12. The allegations against Dunn are very minor from their viewpoint. Until he actually murders someone and a crowd of 100 witnesses it, don't expect any further discipline.
    I guess the last time that happened at Baylor, just a few years ago, because there were less than 100 witnesses, the program was still considered above reproach-----not.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baylor_...etball_scandal

(I know it is a wikipedia [not entirely reliable] link, but methinks the defender of Baylor's brand of ethics doth protest too much.

ricks

Quote Originally Posted by JG Nothing View Post
    Ever read the original police report from the Duke lacrosse case? It would not surprise me if Dunn had hit his girlfriend, but still...
    No offense, but this argument is getting a little old. It's like people think the Duke lacrosse case automatically exonerates anyone accused of anything, no matter how different the situation.

Common sense enters the equation somewhere. Are you willing to use the same argument to insist OJ Simpson's innocence?

Ever read the original police report from the Duke lacrosse case? It would not surprise me if Dunn had hit his girlfriend, but still...
    Yeah, I addressed that scenario (lying victim) in my post. So if you or wacobluedevil or anyone else want to accuse Lacharlesla of initially fabricating the whole story to the police and her lawyer, then by all means go ahead and do it rather than tapdance around the issue. I wouldn't necessarily hold it against you. I mean, she's changed her story, and it can't all be true.

But was she telling the truth initially and lying now? Or was she lying initially and telling the truth now? I can see why she would change the story to cover up an assault and protect her gravy train; it happens all the time in domestic violence cases. But I can't see why she would suffer some accident in the midst of an argument, then lie about it initially to police and her lawyer, then "come clean" and admit that he didn't really punch her. Either he hit her (and she's covering it up) or he didn't hit her (and she somehow got injured and lied about the cause to the police). Reasonable people could believe either version I guess, but Baylor apparently didn't determine it was the latter, though, since they still decided to suspend him...which means they think he did something wrong there. Given her previous statements and her fractured jaw, us commoners can only speculate as to what that wrongdoing was.

So excuse me for being cynical here, but in the absence of any other rational explanation, what exactly does Baylor expect us to think?

Quote Originally Posted by El_Diablo View Post
    Yeah, I addressed that scenario (lying victim) in my post. So if you or wacobluedevil or anyone else want to accuse Lacharlesla of initially fabricating the whole story to the police and her lawyer, then by all means go ahead and do it rather than tapdance around the issue. I wouldn't necessarily hold it against you. I mean, she's changed her story, and it can't all be true.

But was she telling the truth initially and lying now? Or was she lying initially and telling the truth now? I can see why she would change the story to cover up an assault and protect her gravy train; it happens all the time in domestic violence cases. But I can't see why she would suffer some accident in the midst of an argument, then lie about it initially to police and her lawyer, then "come clean" and admit that he didn't really punch her. Either he hit her (and she's covering it up) or he didn't hit her (and she somehow got injured and lied about the cause to the police). Reasonable people could believe either version I guess, but Baylor apparently didn't determine it was the latter, though, since they still decided to suspend him...which means they think he did something wrong there. Given her previous statements and her fractured jaw, us commoners can only speculate as to what that wrongdoing was.

So excuse me for being cynical here, but in the absence of any other rational explanation, what exactly does Baylor expect us to think?
    if you look at the history of criminal acts by college athletes that get covered up, nothing is hard to believe....look at derrick watson when he was at south carolina...he repeatedly got into trouble and nothing was done....he was driving around in a new caddillac escalade and nothing was done....he quit going to classes the day after football season ended and returned to play the next year...the duke lacrosse thing is different....this was a business arrangement that went bad...who knows what happened there...the lesson for duke lacrosse players is " if you lay down with dogs you get up with fleas "....dunn was beating up citizens in their own homes....2 entirely different worlds in the universe of common sense....the law has created so many excuses for those who get special priviledges that it has crippled it's ability to prosecute....people get away with all kinds of crimes in america every day....even murder...i know of 2 athletes that got away with murder...one killed 2 people....is anybody really surprised that dunn is getting away scott free....people get pressured to change their story...they also get paid to do so.....we live in a very corrupt society, and lawers can share alot of the blame....

Quote Originally Posted by hurley1 View Post
    if you look at the history of criminal acts by college athletes that get covered up, nothing is hard to believe....look at derrick watson when he was at south carolina...he repeatedly got into trouble and nothing was done....he was driving around in a new caddillac escalade and nothing was done....he quit going to classes the day after football season ended and returned to play the next year...the duke lacrosse thing is different....this was a business arrangement that went bad...who knows what happened there...the lesson for duke lacrosse players is " if you lay down with dogs you get up with fleas "....dunn was beating up citizens in their own homes....2 entirely different worlds in the universe of common sense....the law has created so many excuses for those who get special priviledges that it has crippled it's ability to prosecute....people get away with all kinds of crimes in america every day....even murder...i know of 2 athletes that got away with murder...one killed 2 people....is anybody really surprised that dunn is getting away scott free....people get pressured to change their story...they also get paid to do so.....we live in a very corrupt society, and lawers can share alot of the blame....
    Which athletes do you "know" killed people?

Have You Not Heard?

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post
    Common sense enters the equation somewhere. Are you willing to use the same argument to insist OJ Simpson's innocence?
    Dunn has vowed to find the REAL culprit for his girlfriend's broken jaw.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post
    No offense, but this argument is getting a little old. It's like people think the Duke lacrosse case automatically exonerates anyone accused of anything, no matter how different the situation.

I never said Dunn should be exonerated; I even said it would not surprise me if he was guilty. I simply implied that people should be cautious at this point. I don't think that is very unreasonable. Why not wait until it all shakes out one way or the other before making definitive judgments?

As for OJ Simpson, I have heard all the evidence presented in the trial. I suspect most of us have not heard all the evidence in Dunn's case.

I never said Dunn should be exonerated; I even said it would not surprise me if he was guilty. I simply implied that people should be cautious at this point. I don't think that is very unreasonable. Why not wait until it all shakes out one way or the other before making definitive judgments?

As for OJ Simpson, I have heard all the evidence presented in the trial. I suspect most of us have not heard all the evidence in Dunn's case.
    and you never will....that's the problem....these universities tamper with the wittnesses and pay them off and completely get the real facts changed around....it's a disgrace...i preferr to use my 52 years of common sense and what is obviously right or wrong....busting in a woman"s home and hitting her and breaking her jaw....no excuse in my book....none...

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    This discussion is going nowhere productive, and is in danger of opening old wounds, therefore, I am closing this thread.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”