Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Cockabeau View Post
    Duke vs. UNC
    KI Drew2/Kendall?
    Rivers Bullock
    Curry Barnes
    Plumlee Henson
    Plumlee Zellar

On paper...who do you think benefits the most from a possible NBA lockout and why?
    This is an interesting hypothetical to consider while passing the weeks until CTC. I'd say that you'd have to weigh the benches, as well. Kelly, Dawkins, and Hairston will no doubt be major contributors by 2011 (and I think one or both of Kelly and Dawkins could actually sneak into a starting spot). I could even see a scenario where Austin plays the role of Maggette on the '98-'99 team and comes in off the bench to up the ante on offense. It's certainly a possibility. Thornton will also contribute, especially if he becomes a defensive stopper. How much will Strickland, McDonald, and whichever of the point guards that doesn't start have improved for UNC? McAdoo will have to be ready as a frosh, otherwise the lack of depth on the frontline will really hurt UNC. Will PJ Hairston be ready from day 1? What about Gbinije for Duke? Adams and Plum the third probably won't see much court time their frosh seasons, but you never know when that depth will be needed. If Cook joins the fold, that's another variable off the bench. I see more versatility in Duke's lineup. We can go big without sacrificing athleticism and we can play small and fast if needed to keep up with a smaller UNC lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by COYS View Post
    This is an interesting hypothetical to consider while passing the weeks until CTC. I'd say that you'd have to weigh the benches, as well. Kelly, Dawkins, and Hairston will no doubt be major contributors by 2011 (and I think one or both of Kelly and Dawkins could actually sneak into a starting spot). I could even see a scenario where Austin plays the role of Maggette on the '98-'99 team and comes in off the bench to up the ante on offense. It's certainly a possibility. Thornton will also contribute, especially if he becomes a defensive stopper. How much will Strickland, McDonald, and whichever of the point guards that doesn't start have improved for UNC? McAdoo will have to be ready as a frosh, otherwise the lack of depth on the frontline will really hurt UNC. Will PJ Hairston be ready from day 1? What about Gbinije for Duke? Adams and Plum the third probably won't see much court time their frosh seasons, but you never know when that depth will be needed. If Cook joins the fold, that's another variable off the bench. I see more versatility in Duke's lineup. We can go big without sacrificing athleticism and we can play small and fast if needed to keep up with a smaller UNC lineup.
    Why in the world would the number one player in the nation/most complete guard in the country come in off the bench? He can start at pg or sg.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke: A Dynasty View Post
    Why in the world would the number one player in the nation/most complete guard in the country come in off the bench?
    Because if Curry and/or Dawkins blows up this year, combined with Irving returning, then you'd have to sit one of those guys (or move them to the "3") in order for Rivers to start. I think Maggette is a good comparison because the only reason he wasn't starting is that he was a freshman and the guys ahead of him had more experience without being significantly less talented. In K's system nobody is guaranteed a starting position until they earn it in practice.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Because if Curry and/or Dawkins blows up this year, combined with Irving returning, then you'd have to sit one of those guys (or move them to the "3") in order for Rivers to start. I think Maggette is a good comparison because the only reason he wasn't starting is that he was a freshman and the guys ahead of him had more experience without being significantly less talented. In K's system nobody is guaranteed a starting position until they earn it in practice.
    Obviously, this is a hypothetical, bu in that scenario, I think you'd see a backcourt of Irving, Curry, and Rivers on the floor together often. Irving and Rivers are both 6'3" or taller in shoes and wouldn't give up too much height on the defensive end. I doubt teams could keep up with us on the offensive end though.

Quote Originally Posted by COYS View Post
    I think the bench is a big plus to Duke. UNC has zero frontcourt depth because the Wears decided Roy was not the man for them. I think our bench will be really solid this year and next, although I dont agree with a lot of the sentiment that certain bench players will make huge leaps this year. Curry is the one guy who ought to be basically considered a 6th starter (channeling Bill Guthridge here), if he does what we expect.

I don't know, UNC they have perhaps a slight advantage inside - a lot remains to be seen of course, but Henson and Zellar have gotten more PT than the Plumlees and from that standpoint have shown more thus far.
    With two injury shortened seasons, Zeller does not have any more PT than Henson and both lag Miles.

Their teams ask them to play different roles, bot overall about same level of experience, with Plumlee brothers leading in games played, minutes played and rebounds and UNC duo in blocks and points scored.

Games Played:
    64 - Miles
    42 - Zeller
    37 - Henson
    34 - Mason
    98 - Duke duo
    71 - UNC duo

Minutes played:

819 - Miles
    587 - Zeller
    586 - Henson
    480 - Mason
    1299 - Duke duo
    1173 - UNC Duo

Rebounds

231 - Miles
    155 - Zeller
    114 - Henson
    104 - Mason
    335 - Duke duo
    169 - UNC duo

Blocks

58 - Henson
    38 - Miles
    30 - Mason
    27 - Zeller
    85 - UNC duo
    68 - Duke duo

299 - Zeller
    248 - Miles
    212 - Henson
    125 - Mason
    511 - UNC duo
    373 - UNC duo

Quote Originally Posted by Cockabeau View Post
    Duke vs. UNC
    KI Drew2/Kendall?
    Rivers Bullock
    Curry Barnes
    Plumlee Henson
    Plumlee Zellar

On paper...who do you think benefits the most from a possible NBA lockout and why?
    I do not think a lockout affects player decisions that much since players have to decide before it is known for sure whether there will even be a lockout or for how long.

However the inexplicable Dee Bost precedent set by NCAA may make their decision reversable anyway.

No opinion on who benefits most but would add that each team has a lot more skilled guys in that scenario like Reggie Bullock, PJ Hairston, James McAdoo, Dexter Strickland, Leslie McDonald and possibly Cody Zeller among others for UNC, and Dre Dawkins, Ryan Kelly, Josh Hairston, Mike Gbinije, Marshall Plumlee and Tylers Adams and Thornton for Duke plus possibly Quinn Cook or Quincy Miller.

Their practices would be more competitive than most games, rather than just some games which is always the case for these two.

I think the bigger impact would be inability for either team to perpetuate the species with guys like Shabazz Muhammed, Alex Murphy, Andre Drummond, Kaleb Tarcewski, J P Toloto if he resurrects, etc. due to scholarship limits, and then losing half of each team's roster the year after the assumed full year lockout.

If anything it probably favors UK to force them to have some upperclassmen or at least sophomores, if they don't bolt to Europe. Brandon Knight is a good student, assume Gilchrist is, not sure about the others. If Kanter becomes eligible this year and then there is a lockout, he probably goes back to Turkey.

Dre could definitely play at the 3, at least in some cases. He might be at a little height disadvantage at times but I think he makes up for that with being a little quicker. He's 6'4 isn't he?

Quote Originally Posted by Duke: A Dynasty View Post
    Why in the world would the number one player in the nation/most complete guard in the country come in off the bench? He can start at pg or sg.
    As I said in my post, I could see a scenario where this might be appropriate. I don't expect it to happen, I was just indicating that Duke's lineup would be incredibly flexible and deep if no one leaves early for the NBA . . . so flexible in fact that the number 1 player in the country could actually come off the bench.

I agree with Airowe, though. I bet we'd start the three of them. We could get big and mean if we needed to with three of Kelly, MP1, MP2, or Hairston, but I'd bet a lineup with Rivers, Irving, and Curry and two bigs would put up some massive offensive numbers . . . and that still leaves Dawkins, Thornton, and possibly Cook on the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyalBlue08 View Post
    More than anyone, Kentucky wins. Between Duke and UNC it is pretty close. We both stand to lose one very talented freshman to the draft.
    Ahhhh.... but see, in their second year, first year class work (or lack there-of) actually starts to matter. If even half of Kentucky's freshmen are even eligible to play a second year, it'll be because UK hired some HS teachers from Birmingham.

You really think Kanter (if he is even eligible this year), for one, is going to pass (or even go to) ANY of his classes?

Quote Originally Posted by dukebluelemur View Post
    Ahhhh.... but see, in their second year, first year class work (or lack there-of) actually starts to matter. If even half of Kentucky's freshmen are even eligible to play a second year, it'll be because UK hired some HS teachers from Birmingham.

You really think Kanter (if he is even eligible this year), for one, is going to pass (or even go to) ANY of his classes?
    Brandon Knight is one of the smartest players from the class of 2014. Great grades, nice kid.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club