Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 15232425

Callie Rivers

I was flipping through channels last night and stumbled upon the #1 Florida vs. S.Carolina volleyball game on ESPNU. Callie Rivers was the star player on the team. She has springs for legs and a hammer for a hand. At 6'-2", I wouldn't be surprised if she could throw down some nasty dunks. I don't generally watch volleyball but I was impressed. Watching her got me excited to see Austin in Duke blue!

Quote Originally Posted by MIKESJ73 View Post
    I was flipping through channels last night and stumbled upon the #1 Florida vs. S.Carolina volleyball game on ESPNU. Callie Rivers was the star player on the team. She has springs for legs and a hammer for a hand. At 6'-2", I wouldn't be surprised if she could throw down some nasty dunks. I don't generally watch volleyball but I was impressed. Watching her got me excited to see Austin in Duke blue!
    I'm a volleyball player so I watch some of the volleyball when it's on. Last night was the second time in the last week I've seen Florida and Callie Rivers play. She's really good. All I could think of the whole time was "thank goodness Austin didn't go to UF to near his sister".

Austin Rivers has drawn some negative attention for his comments from his twitter page regarding his brothers coach. "Sometimes I wonder why my older brother went to Indiana! Cause Tom Creme is a joke! My bro deserves more respect from that dude!"
    Austin claims that his twitter account was hacked and he did not make those statements. More here on the link; below the Kanter story on the page.

http://insider.espn.go.com/mens-coll...rts&id=5795977

Quote Originally Posted by Duke: A Dynasty View Post
    Austin Rivers has drawn some negative attention for his comments from his twitter page regarding his brothers coach. "Sometimes I wonder why my older brother went to Indiana! Cause Tom Creme is a joke! My bro deserves more respect from that dude!"
    Austin claims that his twitter account was hacked and he did not make those statements. More here on the link; below the Kanter story on the page.

http://insider.espn.go.com/mens-coll...rts&id=5795977
    For those without insider, he's since removed that tweet and responded with the following:

Sorry people out there! Someone is hacking into my twitter account and saying stuff! Someone hacked into my Facebook earlier this year!
    That's why I deleted my facebook! Whoever out there hacked in my twitter please stop!!!
    Once again whoever has gotten in my account please say no more!Coach crean is a great coach!i have respect for him and everyone in the game
    Changed password!! Its all good peeps! Shout out to my boi @kyrieirving!!
    I'll take Austin at his word.

Austin Rivers wins Wootten Award

"Austin Rivers is the ideal person for this award. He combines everything we were looking for in a student-athlete," Wootten said. "He is an outstanding basketball player, one of the best in the nation, a young man who is an excellent student and gives back in his community."
    http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recru...ory?id=6220810

Congrats!

Austin just on espn doing an interview. When asked about meeting so many NBA players and people ooing and ahhing over him talking to players like Lebron, D-wade, and Kobe, he had said in a prior interview, "I Dont Want To Just Meet Lebron. I Want To Destroy Him On The Court" He coolly played it off...said he hopes no one took it the wrong way and just said he's enthusiastic about playing basketball.

I don't care what people say, I like this kids' moxy and once K channels it, it's going to be a beautiful thing to watch.

I know this isn't the right thread for this but I just wanted to say that both our women's and men's top recruits won this award today as Elizabeth Williams also won the award!

Saw part of his interview on PTI yesterday. Let's just say I fully expect him to take Greg Paulus's role as the "next hated Dukie." From our standpoint, he's got a lot of swagger and all the confidence in the world. Can't wait to see him on the floor for us!

Quote Originally Posted by Dukegbw3 View Post
    ... I like this kids' moxy and once K channels it, it's going to be a beautiful thing to watch.
    So you think Coach K will do a better job with a #1 recruit with "moxie" than ol' roy did this year?

Saw Austin on Sports Center last night. He handled himself fairly well & explained the Lebron statement.
    Happy he is one of ours!

Quote Originally Posted by PADukeMom View Post
    Saw Austin on Sports Center last night. He handled himself fairly well & explained the Lebron statement.
    Happy he is one of ours!
    There has been no championship level athlete that didn't have a healthy ego. I don't see his confidence as anything but good as long he's still willing to learn and work hard to improve (and by all accounts, this is definitely the case). He'll be hated at Duke, but we're used to that. I agree and thought he did a pretty good job smoothing over his comment, which admittedly sounds a little cocky out of context. But honestly, I don't really care how the rest of the world views him as long as he buys into what K has to teach him next year.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    So you think Coach K will do a better job with a #1 recruit with "moxie" than ol' roy did this year?
    As much as I would love to, I can't find a lot of fault with Roy and how he handled THE BLACK FALCOOOOOOONNNNNN (said with very deep voice and echo).

I did find his criticism of the media hype about HB a little disingenuous given his own statements about HB, but overall HB has pretty much flown under the radar and has conducted himself in a non provocative manner. Granted the non-handshake was immature and childish, but if anything HB seems more robotic and passionless than he does as someone who is an in your face, obnoxiously arrogant player, like say... McCants.

Quote Originally Posted by oldnavy View Post
    As much as I would love to, I can't find a lot of fault with Roy and how he handled THE BLACK FALCOOOOOOONNNNNN (said with very deep voice and echo).

I did find his criticism of the media hype about HB a little disingenuous given his own statements about HB, but overall HB has pretty much flown under the radar and has conducted himself in a non provocative manner. Granted the non-handshake was immature and childish, but if anything HB seems more robotic and passionless than he does as someone who is an in your face, obnoxiously arrogant player, like say... McCants.
    Just heard him on the radio with his dad -- said he pictures himself in Nolan's role when he watches. (Not exact quote). Said that it would be great if Duke wins this year, so he could go for the three-peat.

Quote Originally Posted by oldnavy View Post
    Granted the non-handshake was immature and childish, but if anything HB seems more robotic and passionless than he does as someone who is an in your face, obnoxiously arrogant player, like say... McCants.
    Sorry if this has been mentioned before, but what do you mean by non-handshake? Is there a story that I missed?

Quote Originally Posted by cbnaylor View Post
    Sorry if this has been mentioned before, but what do you mean by non-handshake? Is there a story that I missed?
    If you watch the hand shake line footage at the end of the ACC title game, Prince Harry walks right by Nolan and doesn't look him in the eye. I can't remember if he shook his hand or not.