Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    this may have been mentioned (I haven't had time to read the 11 pages of comments), but it was nice to see an elite recruit make his decision in a timely manner, not string along other teams (e.g. by going on visits to UNC and KU when he already made up his mind), and announce without the fanfare of a huge production.
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

ESPNU interview here.

Interesting, he called Collins before K to let Duke know. Works for me!

Quote Originally Posted by snowdenscold View Post
    I think Collins was the major recruiter for Austin. Didn't he watch him just a couple of days before? Was Coach K there too?

Quote Originally Posted by snowdenscold View Post
    Maybe it's just the way I hold K in reverence, but maybe that's the proper humility with which one ought to approach one of the greatest basketball coaches of all time. Even if AR has a great relationship with K, it's almost like you don't really have the right to just call him up on his cell phone at night. But the guy who has been recruiting you, talking to you constantly, he wants to be in constant communication and has given you that right, so to speak.

Nantz

Quote Originally Posted by D.C. Devil View Post
    I recently rewatched the 2001 Final Four, and near the end of the Final Nantz said something to the effect of "not Duke's most talented team, but by far their toughest!" I first thought, "wtf?
    That's my first thought EVERY time Jim Nantz says anything basketball-related. He is a chimp with a comb-over.

Quote Originally Posted by juise View Post
    ESPNU interview here.
    Thanks for the clip. Rivers said "We are going to be one hell of a team!" I was thinking after he said this yes! He has a little of Mr. 32 in him which is nice to have a cocky player once in a while. It's good for the team if they know how to use it in the right way.

Go Duke

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by _TheFakeJWill_ View Post
    so question... (knowing this is 400 days away BUT) does anyone see a Kyrie, Curry, Rivers, Plum1, Plum2 lineup? I mean Henderson was 6' 4'' and so is rivers. And Henderson had 2 6' 8'' PFs and Rivers would have 6' 10''+ in front of him... just a thought!
    No if Andre picks up his defense, the guards would never get the ball past the defensive pressure.

Tyler Thornton, Myck Kabongo, Dre/Mike Gbinije, Josh Hairston and Ryan Kelly would give them a game with Marhsall Plumlee and Tyler Adams ready to help out on the elder Plumlees.

Definitely

Quote Originally Posted by steven52682 View Post
    this may have been mentioned (I haven't had time to read the 11 pages of comments), but it was nice to see an elite recruit make his decision in a timely manner, not string along other teams (e.g. by going on visits to UNC and KU when he already made up his mind), and announce without the fanfare of a huge production.
    I'm also glad he chose Twitter over Skype (unlike some people).

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I haven't posted since I'm still fighting with my emotions. On the one hand, I'm no fan (as I've stated in the past) of a stated one and doner coming in. I struggle with the idea of getting behind a guy that I know up front I will only be supporting for one year. On the other hand, I've got to be supportive of the program showing continuity by landing yet another top rated recruit. That is a no brainer, it's awesome to see us continue to land these kids and disprove the myth that Duke's recruiting has declined for any number of reasons that we've heard.
    Like it or not, until the NCAA and NBA change their ways, this will probably be the working model for college basketball for the future, and if Duke wants to stay at the top of the game, Duke has to play the game. I'm not thrilled, but I'll learn to accept it.
    Right smack in the middle of the two hands is the fact that no matter who is playing for us, no matter who is coaching for us, no matter our success or failures...I will always be a die hard supporter of the TEAM...of which Austin Rivers will be a member of.
    Since no one person defines a team, as last year so awesomely proved, I say welcome to Duke A.R.. Pull up a chair and stay a while. GO DUKE!!!
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I haven't posted since I'm still fighting with my emotions. On the one hand, I'm no fan (as I've stated in the past) of a stated one and doner coming in. I struggle with the idea of getting behind a guy that I know up front I will only be supporting for one year. On the other hand, I've got to be supportive of the program showing continuity by landing yet another top rated recruit. That is a no brainer, it's awesome to see us continue to land these kids and disprove the myth that Duke's recruiting has declined for any number of reasons that we've heard.
    Like it or not, until the NCAA and NBA change their ways, this will probably be the working model for college basketball for the future, and if Duke wants to stay at the top of the game, Duke has to play the game. I'm not thrilled, but I'll learn to accept it.
    Right smack in the middle of the two hands is the fact that no matter who is playing for us, no matter who is coaching for us, no matter our success or failures...I will always be a die hard supporter of the TEAM...of which Austin Rivers will be a member of.
    Since no one person defines a team, as last year so awesomely proved, I say welcome to Duke A.R.. Pull up a chair and stay a while. GO DUKE!!!
    Dude, I feel your pain. Times, they are a changing!! I would love for all the players to be four year players, but they are not, so we have to adapt. Hard for this old dog to learn the new tricks, but I will get used to it. I will just enjoy the time we do have with AR and any others that come and go too quick for my taste! GO DUKE!!

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by oldnavy View Post
    Dude, I feel your pain. Times, they are a changing!! I would love for all the players to be four year players, but they are not, so we have to adapt. Hard for this old dog to learn the new tricks, but I will get used to it. I will just enjoy the time we do have with AR and any others that come and go too quick for my taste! GO DUKE!!
    Third-ed. I don't love the landscape, but we have to adapt to it and we are.

I believe I said in the Quinn Cook thread that I think the best formula for us is to recruit select OADs while focusing most of our attention on other highly-rated prospects that are more likely 2-4 year types.

I also said that the #1 most important thing to remember is that the guy driving the bus has 4 rings, so let's trust that he knows where he's going. In K we trust.

Let's also remember that Duke's last two one-and-done players, Corey and Luol, were both on Final Four teams that probably shouldn't have lost to UCon(n). Yes, that was before the NBA draft rules changed, but those were still very good Duke teams that were also lead by upperclassmen. Most of us consider Corey and Luol to be full-fledged members of the Duke family and, by all accounts, they still have good relationships with the program.

Quote Originally Posted by ACCBBallFan View Post
    No if Andre picks up his defense, the guards would never get the ball past the defensive pressure.

Tyler Thornton, Myck Kabongo, Dre/Mike Gbinije, Josh Hairston and Ryan Kelly would give them a game with Marhsall Plumlee and Tyler Adams ready to help out on the elder Plumlees.
    Not to single you out, but you're the second or third person that's mentioned the possibility of Kabongo being with Duke in either this thread or another; yet, Kabongo is committed to Texas. Am I missing something or is there a real possibility of Kabongo joining Austin at Duke?

Quote Originally Posted by Class of '94 View Post
    Not to single you out, but you're the second or third person that's mentioned the possibility of Kabongo being with Duke in either this thread or another; yet, Kabongo is committed to Texas. Am I missing something or is there a real possibility of Kabongo joining Austin at Duke?
    There have been a lot of rumors the past couple of months that Kabongo might de-commit from Texas and that he is really good friends with Rivers. At first the rumors seemed fairly possible but the longer he stays committed to Texas the less likely they become. If there is any truth to the rumors there should be a lot of chatter real soon now that Rivers has committed. Otherwise we will stay concentrated on Cook.

On another note, how old is Rivers' younger brother? Anyone know anything about him?

Quote Originally Posted by yancem View Post
    There have been a lot of rumors the past couple of months that Kabongo might de-commit from Texas and that he is really good friends with Rivers. At first the rumors seemed fairly possible but the longer he stays committed to Texas the less likely they become. If there is any truth to the rumors there should be a lot of chatter real soon now that Rivers has committed. Otherwise we will stay concentrated on Cook.

On another note, how old is Rivers' younger brother? Anyone know anything about him?
    Myck and Austin are good friends, so I'm sure they've talked. Austin's little brother is still in junior high, but he attends Austin's AAU games and the coach even lets him suit up occasionally. Given his pedigree, it's reasonable to conclude that he will follow in the footsteps of his brother.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by thenameisbond View Post
    Given his pedigree, it's reasonable to conclude that he will follow in the footsteps of his brother.
    Committing to Florida?
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by oldnavy View Post
    I have come to live with players that leave early by thinking of two players: Dahntay Jones and Roshown McLeod. They played only two years at Duke because they transfered in, but that does not make them any less a part of the Duke family.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD83 View Post
    I have come to live with players that leave early by thinking of two players: Dahntay Jones and Roshown McLeod. They played only two years at Duke because they transfered in, but that does not make them any less a part of the Duke family.
    I know where you are coming from but there is a huge difference. They came in as transfers, so really they were 3 year Dukies. That first year they can go share stories with Seth Curry about. They had no preconcieved conceptions about leaving for the NBA once they cleared that transfer year either. Dahntay and Roshown paid their dues in Cameron before they ever played a public game. I remember asking my dad about both as they sat on the end of the bench in suits (different years..I always ask about the guys in suits). Especially for Dahntay his answer was "that's the most athletic guy on the team". That athlete looked good in his tie, but he looked way better once he hit the court a year later.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD83 View Post
    Not to mention that Dahntay and Seth both worked their butts off in practice for a year to help their teams win NCAA titles. It's not often that All-American caliber players like J-Will, Duhon, Nolan, and Scheyer get that kind of a challenge from the practice squad. Transfers doing that kind of unheralded work really endears them to me.

Similarly, I have no doubt that the guards on the 2011-2012 squad will benefit from having to defend Austin for 6+ months.