Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Nolan Smith on this Week SI Cover (College BB Preivew)

Can't wait to get it in the mail this week.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...d=sivcoverhome

Quote Originally Posted by DevilOfATime View Post

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...d=sivcoverhome
    Oh noes! We're doomed!

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Great pic...interesting to see that SI picked Baylor and Stanford over UCONN for the women. They already got that pick wrong.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

It's over.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Great pic...interesting to see that SI picked Baylor and Stanford over UCONN for the women. They already got that pick wrong.
    They're cancelling the season after UConn managed a 1-pt win at home? That's disappointing.

Anyway, there are four regional covers, featuring Nolan Smith, Kalin Lucas, Jacob Pullen and Washington's Isaiah Thomas. So at least the jinx should be evenly spread.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeUsul View Post
    It's over.
    Luck favors the prepared.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilOfATime View Post
    What's more surprising: That Sports Illustrated is still around, or that the U.S. Postal Service is?

The only good news about regional covers is that the curse can't apply to everyone. Just as a good tidbit, the last time SI did a single cover was fall '05 with Duke on the cover. Since then, I have had little interest in the preview covers. They are just too predictable now. Put player from top team in region in front of generic background, flanked on the left by men's picks and the right by the women's picks. The biggest variation was pairing the player with a women's player one year, but it's not the same as the championship covers anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by SCMatt33 View Post
    Just as a good tidbit, the last time SI did a single cover was fall '05 with Duke on the cover.
    If you're thinking of the photo with the Duke team (including JJ and Shel as seniors) running towards the camera, SI definitely did multiple versions. In the Midwest we had that same cover with Michigan State players.

Sports Illustrated Curse

Oh no! Not the dreaded Sports Illustrated Cover curse!

We can only hope it's a "jinx" on the level of this one. (Though I guess you can make a case this actually had an effect on Maryland)

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall
    Anyway, there are four regional covers, featuring Nolan Smith, Kalin Lucas, Jacob Pullen and Washington's Isaiah Thomas. So at least the jinx should be evenly spread.
    I'm in Ohio and lucky I didn't read this yesterday before arriving home to receive my Sports Illustrated, or my day would have disintegrated at 7AM. I've been waiting all summer for the Duke SI cover (curse or no curse), to be able to hang another Duke mag cover with my collection. I probably would have cried knowing I was getting Michigan State instead.

But, I didn't. Nolan is currently fastened tightly to my wall and I am looking at him and he is looking at me. Perhaps the U.S. Mail knows I'm a Duke fan.

Note: Shane was dunking a basketball on the fall 2000 SI ish. We're going to be OK.
    Last edited by Cameron; 11-19-2010 at 11:03 AM. Reason: Suicide probably would be overboard for not getting a Duke SI cover..

Depending on what region you live in, Nolan Smith is on the SI Cover again. Just got mine in the mail, have not found a link yet.

It is virtual;ly identical to the marcus morris one and the Kemba Walker ones I could find links for except for different tats and team uniform

http://twitpic.com/49q51i

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/56...cus_medium.jpg

I looked at it once or twice but did not memorize it like the swimsuit edition.
    Last edited by ACCBBallFan; 03-16-2011 at 03:22 PM.

Wait a minute

That's the same pic that was on the college basketball preview issue last fall?

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    That's the same pic that was on the college basketball preview issue last fall?
    Take a second glance at the thread...

Gonna be interesting to see whether we get KU or OSU here. Even though Mizzou is a Big 12 school, we often get treated as though Saint Louis is a Big Ten media market. A light sprinkling of Illinois alumni doesn't really explain it, and it's always perplexed me.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post
    Thanks, I had just found a different link to same picture, but yours does not have to be expanded

https://subscription-assets.timeinc.../1730_top1.jpg

Haha, silly me. Thanks, ever so, for your alertness!

Lust made Nolan my new desktop background!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com