George Lucas to mess with Star Wars... again!

George Lucas is redoing Star Wars again, this time to put the films in 3D. They are starting with The Phantom Menace and will release it in 3D in the summer of 2012.

"It is all about making money," said Lucas. "We saw an opportunity to re-release the films again in a new format and jumped at it. While many purists may insist that the films be seen in the way they were originally released, I think my vision and my wallet should be the determining factors in how people experience Star Wars."
    Opps, sorry. That is not the actual quote from the article. My bad Here is the real quote (not from George) --

There are few movies that lend themselves more perfectly to 3D; from the Death Star trench run to the Tatooine Podrace, the Star Wars Saga has always delivered an entertainment experience that is completely immersive.
    Whatever... sigh. I actually think this might be kinda cool. No way I will go watch that piece of drek Phantom Menace in 3D, but I might go see a couple of the other films in the new format.

--Jason "George, I open my wallet to thee-- take what you will" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I'm skeptical, but not for the usual reasons.

I question whether a 3-D version of, say, the Death Star trench run really would be more "completely immersive" than the 2-D version we know and love. The previous CGI tinkering by George Lucas in the late 1990s, while technically superior, stood out in sharp contrast to the rest of that 1977 film and diminished the experience somewhat.

But whatever. I'm sure the fanboys are already drooling at the prospect of Darth Maul's dual-sided lightsaber reaching out into the audience.

For my opinion on George Lucas screwing with a good thing, watch this video all the way to the end.

http://www.howitshouldhaveended.com/...d=207579533001

I'm not a fan of re-tooling the old ones. Having said that, my six year old son is just eat up with Star Wars and follows a whole Clone Wars universe that is wholly foreign to me. So if I can go with him to this new thing and have him totally jazzed, I'll be more than happy.

By the time he gets around to releasing these, 3D will be gone. I already refuse to see 3D movies - for multiple reasons. I will not be shelling out for a 3D television, and when the studies inevitably show up that point out that children's eye-hand coordination and eyesight are adversely affected, the industry as a whole will be castigated.

I do, however, look forward to seeing Empire Strikes Back 3-D

Quote Originally Posted by cf-62 View Post
    By the time he gets around to releasing these, 3D will be gone. I already refuse to see 3D movies - for multiple reasons. I will not be shelling out for a 3D television, and when the studies inevitably show up that point out that children's eye-hand coordination and eyesight are adversely affected, the industry as a whole will be castigated.

I do, however, look forward to seeing Empire Strikes Back 3-D

Unless they find a way to eliminate the glasses or come up with non-breakable glasses no way does 3D make it. If you have a 3D TV and are watching Duke play a tight one against UNC what is the first thing that is being thrown when the Heels get another call?

Quote Originally Posted by NashvilleDevil View Post
    what is the first thing that is being thrown when the Heels get another call?
    Well, if the Heels are getting "another call," then the GAME is being thrown... by the officials. I'm kidding. (Maybe.)

I agree that 3-D TV will not become mainstream. It's probably too expensive for a TV production company to create both 2-D and 3-D versions of every episode of every show they make. But 3-D movies should keep a steady niche.

Quote Originally Posted by NashvilleDevil View Post
    Unless they find a way to eliminate the glasses or come up with non-breakable glasses no way does 3D make it.
    You CAN make a 3D television without glasses. Nintendo's 3D DS shows this. The problem is that if you do it, it will only be 3D if you are sitting in a line DIRECTLY in front of it. If you get off to the side AT ALL, you will lose the 3D effect. The only way I can think of to make a 3D experience without glasses viewable from anywhere would be to have some sort of dual or tri- projector array placed around a field of something like mist, thus making the actual image 3D, not just a trick of the mind on a flat screen.