Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The Heck With Geography - More Possible Conference Expansion

MJ was once asked what he was going to do with a degree in Geography from unc. His reply: "Travel."

A degree in Geography would eliminate any chance of being conference commissioner.

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/e...70202/24901290

The Big EAST is looking at TCU - TEXAS Christian University? Really?

Numerically challenged is bad enough - 10 in the Big 12, 12 in the Big 10, 12 in the PAC 10 - but TEXAS in the Big East? Come on man! That is a really big east.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    MJ was once asked what he was going to do with a degree in Geography from unc. His reply: "Travel."

A degree in Geography would eliminate any chance of being conference commissioner.

Numerically challenged is bad enough - 10 in the Big 12, 12 in the Big 10, 12 in the PAC 10 - but TEXAS in the Big East? Come on man! That is a really big east.
    I think TCU is in EAST Texas.

Before we cast stones too far, I seem to recall the ACC (Atlantic Coast Conference) went after Notre Dame pretty hard.

I'll grant that ND is east of the Mississippi, anyway. Heck, TCU is east of the continental divide.

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post

They should take them and just re-name it "The Big 20" since - like you mentioned - 'East' would become pretty irrelevant and 20's a nice round number, regardless of whether they actually have that many or not (TCU would be #18?)...

...or maybe something like "The Only [yet still boring] Superconference" since who really wants these huge conferences anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnGalt View Post
    They should take them and just re-name it "The Big 20" since - like you mentioned - 'East' would become pretty irrelevant and 20's a nice round number, regardless of whether they actually have that many or not (TCU would be #18?)...

...or maybe something like "The Only [yet still boring] Superconference" since who really wants these huge conferences anyway?
    How about we get together a conference of 200 or so schools and call it the NCAA?

You know... this is what is so absurd about the media in this day and age. I mean, this story comes from an "anonymous source" and is printed in that bastion of journalistic integrity, the NY Post.

Then it gets picked up and re-reported by CBS for no apparent reason, other than to generate hits for their website. I mean, seriously... they added NOTHING to the original, single-source story.

And yet here we are talking about it, and people are probably "tweeting" (do I still need to put that in quotes, or is it in Webster's by now?) about it, and, dare I say, that it might even be on the front page of ESPN.com.

(Hold on... let me check...) Yep... on one of the college football blogs. Its on the Sporting News website too.

I mean, does anyone actually consider common sense when reporting stuff like this? You're telling me that a TV/Football revenue deal between TCU and The Big LEast will generate so much money that TCU will be able to constantly fly all of their non-revenu sports across the country to participate in the Big LEast? Is that what I am supposed to believe? That makes zero sense.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnGalt View Post
    Well, TCU would really only be #9 in their minds. This move clearly would be for football and people lambasting the quality of the teams in the Big East. Not that the ACC should talk. Really, the Big East is two conferences. Large public schools that also play football and small private (a lot of Jesuit) institutions that play down a division in football. It's quite odd really.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Large public schools that also play football and small private (a lot of Jesuit) institutions that play down a division in football. .
    small correction

catholic =/= jesuit
    1200. DDMF.

TCU is not only in Texas, but it's filled with Texans. They'd have no interest in playing a bunch of Yankee schools.

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    TCU is not only in Texas, but it's filled with Texans. They'd have no interest in playing a bunch of Yankee schools.
    They might have significant interest in beating the crap out of a bunch of Yankee schools though

Edit: Not that I think this'll happen. Travel expenses anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by MulletMan View Post
    You know... this is what is so absurd about the media in this day and age. I mean, this story comes from an "anonymous source" and is printed in that bastion of journalistic integrity, the NY Post.

Then it gets picked up and re-reported by CBS for no apparent reason, other than to generate hits for their website. I mean, seriously... they added NOTHING to the original, single-source story.

And yet here we are talking about it, and people are probably "tweeting" (do I still need to put that in quotes, or is it in Webster's by now?) about it, and, dare I say, that it might even be on the front page of ESPN.com.

(Hold on... let me check...) Yep... on one of the college football blogs. Its on the Sporting News website too.

I mean, does anyone actually consider common sense when reporting stuff like this? You're telling me that a TV/Football revenue deal between TCU and The Big LEast will generate so much money that TCU will be able to constantly fly all of their non-revenu sports across the country to participate in the Big LEast? Is that what I am supposed to believe? That makes zero sense.
    You've hit it on the nose. It's a problem with the new media (see the guy that tweeted the fake Ben Roethlisberger story a few weeks ago just to see what would happen).

Until there are real repercussions, it will continue to happen. I frankly don't care about who "outscooped" who. It's not like the fact that Jay Glazer heard something before Chris Mortenson did means ESPN won't have the story up in 5 minutes. What's the rush?

There are only 2 people to follow on expansion right now (which is dead on any major scale until 2014, I think) and that's Chip Brown and Joe Schad.

Similarly, if the investigative report doesn't come from ESPN or Yahoo Sports before it hits blogs, I'm going to be skeptical.

Blogs serve their purpose, and I am a huge fan, but people that are looking to them for scoops outside of pictures of Josh Hamilton falling off the wagon are going to be greatly mis-informed more often than not.

If true, this is a BAD idea . . .

Perhaps understandably, when we superficially think about conference expansion, consolidation, and the like, we principally consider football and basketball (hopefully, both genders). Unfortunately, they are the “tails that wags the dog,” largely addressing the prominent “revenue side” of intercollegiate athletics, but not considering the critically important “expense side.” When Providence has to send its field hokey team to Fort Worth, or TCU has to send its swimming/diving team to Syracuse, or Rutgers’ volleyball team has to spend three or four days to travel and compete in Texas (and so forth), the costs (transportation, lodging, etc.) will be SUBSTANTIAL (as will the days-of-absence imposed on the student-athletes). I very much doubt if any valid financial analysis could justify this approach (of course, some TCU partisan might believe that Big East competition would likely improve the University’s national visibility, although I would not concur).

If this ends up happening, then heck, maybe the ACC needs to look at going after Boise St... Sorry...Couldn't resist....

But seriously, logistics aside, TCU would not be a good fit for the Big East or any east coast-based conference, except maybe the SEC since their footprint extends further west than the Big East or ACC.
    Last edited by Class of '94; 09-29-2010 at 03:10 PM. Reason: further clarification

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    small correction

catholic =/= jesuit
    more clarification: the Jesuits are an order of Catholicism (like the Franciscans, Dominicans, etc). So all Jesuits are Catholics by definition, but not all Catholics (in fact very few) are Jesuits.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD83 View Post
    Nope.

TCU is in Fort Worth, Texas. The slogan of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram is "Where the West begins." Fort Worth is all about cowboys, cattle, country western dancing, and the spirit of the American West. TCU has about as much to do with the Big East as the Oregon Ducks.

Quote Originally Posted by prefan21 View Post
    Nope.

TCU is in Fort Worth, Texas. The slogan of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram is "Where the West begins." Fort Worth is all about cowboys, cattle, country western dancing, and the spirit of the American West. TCU has about as much to do with the Big East as the Oregon Ducks.
    obviously a conference's name has to correlate perfectly with its constituents....both the big east (who already has ND and louisville and marquette) and the big 10 blatantly flaunt their names...that said....i highly doubt the big east would be looking to expand past 16 in most sports...i could understand adding tcu as a football school...or as a new member should a team get swiped...which looks unlikely this time round as things have pretty much settled
    1200. DDMF.

Talking North Fort Worth Forty?

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD83 View Post
    Uh, no. Dallas is in North Texas. TCU's home, Ft. Worth, while the beginning of West Texas, is also there. East Texas is the area abutting La. and Ark.: Beaumont, Port Arthur, Tyler, Lufkin, etc.

A-Tex Devil, an expert, will correct my remarks.

sagegrouse

Quote Originally Posted by prefan21 View Post
    Fort Worth is next to Dallas, home of the Cowboys, who play in the NFC East. So what's the problem?

I agree about the Oregon Ducks, by the way. If the Big East wants a foothold in that part of the country, the obvious choice is Eastern Washington.

Seriously though, just take Maryland.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Fort Worth is next to Dallas, home of the Cowboys, who play in the NFC East. So what's the problem?

I agree about the Oregon Ducks, by the way. If the Big East wants a foothold in that part of the country, the obvious choice is Eastern Washington.

Seriously though, just take Maryland.
    No, no. Maryland will be joining the Western Conference, obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    No, no. Maryland will be joining the Western Conference, obviously.
    Oh no. Please no. Can you imagine the complaints/excuses when Gary sees his travel schedule?