Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

'Ol Roy's Chair Taping

Does anyone else absolutely burn when they see the masking tape over the "Duke" on Roy's chair when the heels come to Cameron? It makes me apoplectic. Is there any precedent for this anywhere in college basketball? Why do we allow it and what can we do about it? I, for one, would like to see Roy's chair replaced with an old rusty grey metal folding chair with nothing on it at all, or perhaps a bubblegum pink chair, or maybe a chair with a big Kansas Jayhawk on it for him to sit in. From where I'm standing, he started it, so he's fair game for the most humiliation possible.

Anyone else as offended by Roy's behavior as I am? Any other suggestions as to how we combat it?

Quote Originally Posted by trinity92 View Post
    Does anyone else absolutely burn when they see the masking tape over the "Duke" on Roy's chair when the heels come to Cameron? It makes me apoplectic. Is there any precedent for this anywhere in college basketball? Why do we allow it and what can we do about it? I, for one, would like to see Roy's chair replaced with an old rusty grey metal folding chair with nothing on it at all, or perhaps a bubblegum pink chair, or maybe a chair with a big Kansas Jayhawk on it for him to sit in.

Anyone else as offended by Roy's behavior as I am? Any other suggestions as to how we combat it?
    Iowa or Iowa State (I think State) painted the away team's locker room (in football) completely pink. I'm talking Hot Pink too...urinals, stalls, everything. It caused such a stir among certain folks that ESPN ran a segment on it and - I believe - they had to re-paint it with a slightly less 'condescending' color (if colors can, in fact, be condescending). I thought it was pretty hilarious, really.

As for the taping...lame. REAL lame. I agree with the old, rusty fold-up chair idea.

Quote Originally Posted by trinity92 View Post
    Does anyone else absolutely burn when they see the masking tape over the "Duke" on Roy's chair when the heels come to Cameron? It makes me apoplectic. Is there any precedent for this anywhere in college basketball? Why do we allow it and what can we do about it? I, for one, would like to see Roy's chair replaced with an old rusty grey metal folding chair with nothing on it at all, or perhaps a bubblegum pink chair, or maybe a chair with a big Kansas Jayhawk on it for him to sit in. From where I'm standing, he started it, so he's fair game for the most humiliation possible.

Not that I like defending Coach Williams, but he does this everywhere they play (even at home) to mark which chair is his.

You can kind of see it in this picture if you look closely.
    http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3102/...501110.jpg?v=0

That said, it's still pretty dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by mkirsh View Post
    Not that I like defending Coach Williams, but he does this everywhere they play (even at home) to mark which chair is his.

You can kind of see it in this picture if you look closely.
    http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3102/...501110.jpg?v=0

That said, it's still pretty dumb.
    It seems kinda sad that Ol' Roy can't identify his chair without having a piece of tape on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Battierfan01 View Post
    It seems kinda sad that Ol' Roy can't identify his chair without having a piece of tape on it.
    They should put some tape on his invisible chair:

Tape the Floor

Perhaps he need some tape on the floor to locate the place where he will fall when he has his annual fainting spell.

In all seriousness given the recent events at Michigan State he may want to have that looked into.

Of course, I have some concern that any retaliatory actions -- however clever -- could reduce "us" to "his" level.

I've heard that a lot of coaches mark their chair so that they don't sit in a chair that's been sweated on by a player. I suppose there is some sense in that, with the exception, of course, of Gary Williams.

Typical Roy, but I have to say it is one of the least obnoxious things that he does on a regular basis. Let him tape it, it makes him feel superior.

Quote Originally Posted by oldnavy View Post
    Typical Roy, but I have to say it is one of the least obnoxious things that he does on a regular basis. Let him tape it, it makes him feel superior.
    Can we sneak into the unc equipment locker and switch the tape with double-sided tape? Maybe one with a heat-activated adhesive on the "outside?" At least a tape that reads "Duke" when subjected to body heat.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    They should put some tape on his invisible chair:

How about over his mouth? He does have a potty mouth on occasion.

How about one of those trick chairs... that every time you try to sit in it a leg collapses that deposits you on the floor and then by the time you recover to examine the chair its self coorecting and stand looking perfectly normal...

Heck the whole team could join in that fun and be deserving of a special chair.

It just seems kinda petty to me.
    Then again, think about who we're talking about...

Quote Originally Posted by -bdbd View Post
    It just seems kinda petty to me.
    Then again, think about who we're talking about...
    It is petty. Even more, to me, it is childish. I have never seen another coach do this.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnGalt View Post
    Iowa or Iowa State (I think State) painted the away team's locker room (in football) completely pink. I'm talking Hot Pink too...urinals, stalls, everything. It caused such a stir among certain folks that ESPN ran a segment on it and - I believe - they had to re-paint it with a slightly less 'condescending' color (if colors can, in fact, be condescending). I thought it was pretty hilarious, really.

As for the taping...lame. REAL lame. I agree with the old, rusty fold-up chair idea.
    I think that is beat up right there. That cost money to fix and depending on how much it cost to redo can count as a felony. As for Roy.. i hate sticking up for him but i find it kinda funny. I worked at a grocery store when unc won a couple years ago and refused to bag the championship comemerative magazine for the customers cause i said i didnt want my hands covered in I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this..

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke: A Dynasty View Post
    I think that is beat up right there. That cost money to fix and depending on how much it cost to redo can count as a felony. As for Roy.. i hate sticking up for him but i find it kinda funny. I worked at a grocery store when unc won a couple years ago and refused to bag the championship comemerative magazine for the customers cause i said i didnt want my hands covered in I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this..
    I think you misunderstood the post to which you were replying. The school in question painted their own arena's visiting team locker room - so that when other teams came to town, they would be preparing for the game in a hot pink room. It's as if Duke decided to do this to the Cameron room dedicated to visiting team use.

No crime involved, unless you're an interior decorator...
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

Quote Originally Posted by JBDuke View Post
    I think you misunderstood the post to which you were replying. The school in question painted their own arena's visiting team locker room - so that when other teams came to town, they would be preparing for the game in a hot pink room. It's as if Duke decided to do this to the Cameron room dedicated to visiting team use.

No crime involved, unless you're an interior decorator...

LOL your right, im sorry i did misread that. I had a memory of high school on my mind where the week leading up to our rivalry football game something similiar happened and ppl were charged with a destruction of property felony and trespassing.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnGalt View Post

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2174828

"For decades, visiting football teams playing at Kinnick Stadium have dressed and showered in the pink locker room. The tradition was started by former Iowa coach Hayden Fry, a psychology major who said pink had a calming and passive effect on people."

Quite brilliant actually. And more importantly, hilarious.

As for this:

Easily solved with some:

Not to defend Roy, but I too am a chronic back pain sufferer. I'm not 100% sure, but I think his chair has extra padding or something to help with his back. At least I remember that being said during a game once. But I do know for a fact that he does it at every game, even home games. So it's not a slight at Duke.

Roy you're making ME dizzie "do it" or get off the pretend pot.