NBA Title as Player and GM

Danny Ferry has a decent shot at this, if my memory is right. Wasn't he a reserve on a Spurs team that won the title? How many folks have done both?

Both

Jerry West for sure has done both -- as a player, he was part of the 1972 Laker team that won it all; as GM, he put together the Shaq-Kobe teams that won three titles.

I might be mistaken, but I think Alex Hannum won as a player, a coach and a general manager. He was the player-coach of the 1958 St. Louis Hawks and (I believe) coach-general manager of the 1967 Philadelphia team that finally beat the Celtics. He was also coach/general manager for the 1969 Oakland Oaks, which won the ABA title with Rick Barry.

There may be others, but you are right that it would be a rare accomplishment.

Let's see if Ferry can accomplish it -- although to be fair, the Cavs are in the finals because of James and he had nothing to do with acquiring LeBron. The real test of his mettle as a GM will be his ability to keep LeBron in Cleveland and find enough talent to surround him to win the title.

I'm not too sure, but I believe Jerry West won a title as a player (in the '70s) and as a GM.

Joe Dumars?

I think Lebron is locked up through 2011

According to this link http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13642370/ Lebron signed a 5 year extension in the summer of 2006 so he should be in Cleveland until 2011. I think he still only be 26 or 27 then.

I know Dumars won a championship with the pistons for the 89-90 season. He was a motor city bad boy.