Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

The ongoing saga of Thad Lewis' NFL career

The Rams waived Thad Lewis to make roster room for a cornerback.

Rats.

I don't see any transaction listed on the Rams website. Link?

If true, does this mean that the Rams are only keeping 2 QB's. That seems a little odd.

Quote Originally Posted by SCMatt33 View Post
    I don't see any transaction listed on the Rams website. Link?

If true, does this mean that the Rams are only keeping 2 QB's. That seems a little odd.
    Thad Lewis isn't on this Rams roster at the St. Louis Dispatch:

http://stltoday.stats.com/fb/teamsta...14&type=roster

Bradford and Feeley are the only QBs listed.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Thad Lewis isn't on this Rams roster at the St. Louis Dispatch:

http://stltoday.stats.com/fb/teamsta...14&type=roster

Bradford and Feeley are the only QBs listed.
    So I looked into this a little and the Rams have 5 CB's on the roster. One is out today , Kevin Dockery, and one is questionable, Justin King (I'd assume this move means that they're leaning towards out for him as well). This left them with only three available CB's. My guess is that this is not a long term thing, and the Rams made the call that it would be tough to slot in a safety at CB for dime packages and would rather take the risk of not having a third QB until either one of the other CB's is healthy or is hurt badly enough to place on IR for the year.

My guess is that this is not a long term thing, and the Rams made the call that it would be tough to slot in a safety at CB for dime packages and would rather take the risk of not having a third QB until either one of the other CB's is healthy or is hurt badly enough to place on IR for the year.
    Your explanation sounds solid so I hope you are correct and we see Thad Lewis back on the Ram's roster soon.
    Bob Green

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Well hell. Makes little sense..hope he gets to keep a bunch of money.

ST. LOUIS RAMS: CB Marquis Johnson signed from practice squad. QB Thad Lewis waived.

Read more: http://www.kansascity.com/2010/09/18...#ixzz100cyGMGR
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I hope he's not available if the Rams try to pick him back up because I hope he's in Charlotte.

Amen to that...

Quote Originally Posted by DevilWolf View Post
    I hope he's not available if the Rams try to pick him back up because I hope he's in Charlotte.
    Our QB situation in the Carolina Panthers is horrible right now. I think Moore needs to go to the bench at this point. He looks really bad right now. I'd love to see Thad on the Panthers team and compete for back-up slot with a chance of being a starter if Clausen gets hurt.

Question Color Me Confused

I thought the NFL had a rule where it could have a QB who was not on the 53-player active roster available as an emergency QB if the first two QBs went down.

Are we sure that is not the Thad Lewis situation? Perhaps a QB must clear waivers to go to the practice squad.

I can't believe even the StL Rams would go without a third QB.

sagegrouse

this site indicates that the Rams didn't expect anyone to pick him up while they were preparing for games and that they expect to re-sign Lewis today:

http://www.ramsgab.com/2010/09/19/th...son-activated/

Partly Orlando, FL partly heard Sandpoint, ID
    I'm definitely not familiar with how roster spots are taken up, and I too thought there was something along those lines, that a 3rd QB didn't count against the players that you suit up on gameday or something like that. But I was watching the Pittsburgh-Tennessee game on Sunday(bizarre game, Pittsburgh returns the opening kickoff for a TD, the Titans turn the ball over 7! times on the day, and yet were still not far off from winning the thing), and the Steeler QB(Dixon) went down in the first half with a knee sprain and Charlie Batch came in. Apparently the Steelers had opted not to pick up a 3rd QB with Roethlisberger waiting for his suspension to end and needing an extra defensive back, so the only QB who could have suited up for them(and was not out of the realm of possibility with the way the Titans were swarming on D) was Antwan Randel-El, who played QB at Indiana, but not in the 8 or so years since in the NFL(aside from a flirtation with it as a rookie).

To make a long story short, I've got no idea what the rule is these days, but it seems like the 3rd QB rule isn't the case anymore, or has been significantly altered. Here's hoping Thad lands somewhere.

Sorry for not posting a link to back this up, but the official NFL rules are not available online for free. The NFL only provides a "digest" of rules that most casual fans are already familiar with.

The NFL allows a roster of 53, players, but only 45 can play in any single game. This is similar to the NBA rule which allows a 15 man roster, but only 12 for any single game. The "emergency" quarterback does not count against the limit of 45, but if he enters the game before the start of the fourth quarter, then the first two quarterbacks may not re-enter the game under any circumstances (he is allowed to sub in freely in the final quarter). The emergency quarterback does count against the limit of 53 players, though.

The Rams were in the position where there were only 3 healthy CB's on the 53 man roster. To add a fourth, they would have to place someone on waivers. I'm guessing that they wanted to protect all of their other players and assumed that Thad would be the least likely to be claimed off of waivers. It's not that unusual to see a team only have two available quarterbacks in a game, but usually, it is due to an injury to the starting or backup quarterback.

I believe the Steelers did something similar with Leftwich recently.

Sorry for not posting a link to back this up, but the official NFL rules are not available online for free. The NFL only provides a "digest" of rules that most casual fans are already familiar with.
    This is interesting and a little odd.

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    This is interesting and a little odd.
    I just found this. Here's why the full rules aren't available. Anyone surprised?

I just found this. Here's why the full rules aren't available. Anyone surprised?
    One of my favorite sayings:

If you're disillusioned, you were illusioned in the first place...

Thad would look great in the Black and Gold!

The NFL allows a roster of 53, players, but only 45 can play in any single game. This is similar to the NBA rule which allows a 15 man roster, but only 12 for any single game. The "emergency" quarterback does not count against the limit of 45, but if he enters the game before the start of the fourth quarter, then the first two quarterbacks may not re-enter the game under any circumstances (he is allowed to sub in freely in the final quarter). The emergency quarterback does count against the limit of 53 players, though.

The Rams were in the position where there were only 3 healthy CB's on the 53 man roster. To add a fourth, they would have to place someone on waivers. I'm guessing that they wanted to protect all of their other players and assumed that Thad would be the least likely to be claimed off of waivers. It's not that unusual to see a team only have two available quarterbacks in a game, but usually, it is due to an injury to the starting or backup quarterback.

And the Steelers could officially use another QB now that Dixon is out with a knee injury, as is Leftwich and Big Ben out with a suspension. My guess/hope is that the Steelers new WRs coach, Scotty Montgomery, will mention his name to Tomlin this week...

Quote Originally Posted by duke blue brewcrew View Post
    And the Steelers could officially use another QB now that Dixon is out with a knee injury, as is Leftwich and Big Ben out with a suspension. My guess/hope is that the Steelers new WRs coach, Scotty Montgomery, will mention his name to Tomlin this week...
    It is highly doubtful that Thad will end up anywhere else. The waiver period is only 24 hours during the season, so unless there hasn't been an announcement for some reason, he hasn't been claimed. It is unlikely that he would choose to go to a team like the Steelers where he knows that he will eventually be the odd man out once everyone comes back. He knows there is a spot for him in St. Louis once the CB problem is fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by duke blue brewcrew View Post
    The Steelers just re-signed Leftwich.

According to a relative in St. Louis, if Thad clears waivers, the Rams can sign him back to the practice squad (for less money) and he still works with the team, but can't be activated for a game (without dumping someone else off of the active roster). Anyone know if this is true?