Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 64
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    Chris Rwabukamba is playing because he's a smart experienced back, but he does not have top-level ACC physical gifts.
    The quoted post is from the Elon post game thread but I'm looking for responses from those who were at the game.

    With the score 14-7 Duke, Rwabukamba made a great play on the ball resulting in an interception. On TV it appeared he had a chance for a pick six but lacked the speed to pull it off as he was forced out of bounds as he scampered down the sideline. For those at the game, was that a legit pick six opportunity? A play which could have given Duke a 21-7 lead. Instead we get stopped, fumble the punt snap, and WF scores to tie it 14-14.
    Last edited by Bob Green; 09-11-2010 at 06:04 PM. Reason: English
    Bob Green
    United States Navy (Retired)
    @JBobGreen

  2. #22
    "there's no virtually no way we beat 'bama on Saturday. Still, it would be nice to at least play a respectable game against them"

    no way for that, either. our secondary can't cover the chair i am sitting in.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Baltimore
    Quote Originally Posted by grossbus View Post
    "there's no virtually no way we beat 'bama on Saturday. Still, it would be nice to at least play a respectable game against them"

    no way for that, either. our secondary can't cover the chair i am sitting in.
    It's easy to put blame on the secondary; it would be much better if we could put any pressure on the qb!

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    I am as disappointed as anyone, but I think there are some positives from the game.

    1. Even with everything said above, we were an onside kick away from having the last shot to win.

    2. We gave up 21 points on TO's, one of which (the first INT) was just a fantastic defensive play. Renfree was on target with about every throw.

    3. Running game -- light years from last year.

    4. Disciplined ball -- I only remember the one holding penalty on the kickoff return although there may have been more. But no stupid offsides, delay of games, and holds on passing.

    5. We had Wake at one point something like 2-9 on third downs. It got away in the fourth quarter, unfortunately.

    6. Defensive blown assignments -- yes, there were plenty -- but we were playing a potent option team and our defense is still young.

    7. Renfree is tough as nails. He took a cheap spear right under the chin, and a few other cheap shots (I was surprised at how some of the Wake players carried themselves, although that is a whole different topic). The dude is a clear leader and clear winner.

    8. We could have been left for dead at least twice -- when we went down 35-21 in the first half, and when we went down 54-38 and Wake had the ball with about 2 minitues IIRC. This team fought back. Never say die.


    Am I happy? Hell no. But I'm glad that I give enough of a damn about Duke football to care and to expect to win. That's been dormant for about 20 years.

    The ACC is obviously in scramble mode right now. After Alabama, we have a string of games in which we can prevail IF we learn from the mistakes and stay healthy. Building a program takes time. But this team can certainly finish in the top half of the conference and get to a bowl.



    It wasn't over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor, and it ain't over now. -- OPK

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    7. Renfree is tough as nails. He took a cheap spear right under the chin, and a few other cheap shots (I was surprised at how some of the Wake players carried themselves, although that is a whole different topic).
    Don't be. The only surprise was seeing Chop Block U take cheap shots at offensive players as well as defenders.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Watching carolina Go To HELL!
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    It wasn't over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor, and it ain't over now. -- OPK
    You're darn tootin skippy it isn't over. We've only just begun. Far too many pessimists populating this board for my taste. Almost reminds me of late February 2001 when Carlos Boozer broke his foot. Next thing we knew there was the infamous "It's over" thread. And of course, it wasn't over - we won the National Championship instead. My friends, we ARE going to beat Alabama next week.
    Last edited by OZZIE4DUKE; 09-11-2010 at 08:59 PM.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

    Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    http://www.EGLEW.com


  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    I thought sophisticated game theory or some kind of statistical analysis had more or less demonstrated the wisdom of going for it on 4th down a whole lot more than historically common. It depends on where you are on the field, of course, but we were down 10 with maybe what - 9 minutes to go? - and inside their 20 yard line.

    Had we gotten the first down - what an emotional punch in the gut it could have been for Wake. I guess we'll never know, but I think you show some onions there and stare them down in their own backyard. It's just one yard, gotta man up.
    I agree that we shouldn't have been so conservative there.

    It was dynamic programming done by David Romer (Christina's husband) on NFL data that suggested teams should go for it a lot more often than they did.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Tennessee
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I am as disappointed as anyone, but I think there are some positives from the game.

    1. Even with everything said above, we were an onside kick away from having the last shot to win.

    2. We gave up 21 points on TO's, one of which (the first INT) was just a fantastic defensive play. Renfree was on target with about every throw.

    3. Running game -- light years from last year.

    4. Disciplined ball -- I only remember the one holding penalty on the kickoff return although there may have been more. But no stupid offsides, delay of games, and holds on passing.

    5. We had Wake at one point something like 2-9 on third downs. It got away in the fourth quarter, unfortunately.

    6. Defensive blown assignments -- yes, there were plenty -- but we were playing a potent option team and our defense is still young.

    7. Renfree is tough as nails. He took a cheap spear right under the chin, and a few other cheap shots (I was surprised at how some of the Wake players carried themselves, although that is a whole different topic). The dude is a clear leader and clear winner.

    8. We could have been left for dead at least twice -- when we went down 35-21 in the first half, and when we went down 54-38 and Wake had the ball with about 2 minitues IIRC. This team fought back. Never say die.


    Am I happy? Hell no. But I'm glad that I give enough of a damn about Duke football to care and to expect to win. That's been dormant for about 20 years.
    Kudos to you for rooting the team on. I hope you're not implying that those with constructive criticism don't give "enough of a damn" ... we care, and we have not been dormant. As far as expecting to win ... well, you got me there. I'm realistic, but I do always hope we win. I don't mind so much if there are certain highly talented players we can't get for academic reasons. It's the unforced errors that are the burr under the saddle.

    A couple of points you brought up are, AFAIK, incorrect:

    We DID get a delay of game. It was on the FG in the 4th quarter, when we had that 4th and 1 from inside the 20, which I and some others feel that we should have gone for. But the FG unit went on, and promptly got a delay of game penalty and turned a 33 yarder into a 38 yarder. Fortunately, it didn't cost us ... this time.

    Second, the score was never 54-38. With 2 min to go it was 54-41. Your point stands, we didn't give up, we got a TD to bring it to 6.

    Minor points, but it does take a tiny bit of the shine off our participation trophy.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Dillon, Colorado
    54-48? Well, it's five fewer points than Butler scored on us.
    Sometimes I mistake this for a universe that cares. -- xkcd #625

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Frustrating for the turnovers..but beyond that fact, it's hard to argue against that being one of the most exciting Duke football games I've seen in a long time. Glimpses of what will come in the future once the youth of the team learns to avoid the mistakes made today.
    Mmmm, BBQ!

  11. #31
    I hate losing to Wake again, but still have to hit the positives. Renfree, Vernon, and Desmond Scott are all Sophomores. We have a LOT to look forward to in the next few years with these guys. I'm sure Cut will address the defense and I have complete confidence it will improve.

  12. #32

    The future is bright

    Iím extremely excited about the future of this program. Renfree is a big time QB. If the defense can catch up to the offense, we will be a force to be reckoned with over the next few seasons.

  13. #33

    I'm not ready to give an inch..not a pico-meter either...

    Hi,

    This does not belong in its own thread, so I will put it here. These young men are playing the best football Duke has seen around here since Anthony Dilweg hurled the pig-skin. I am not ready to concede the game to Alabama or anyone else for that matter.

    Our boys can learn from their mistakes--in that way they are a different team from what we have seen around here for a while too. Alabama is ranked number one in the nation. Big Deal. Once they put the ball in play all rankings mean is we probably get to be on something besides ESPN3 on the West Coast. Our QB and receives will make the Alabama defenders have to do things they don't want to. Our D will tighten too. We shouldn't be scared about this opportunity, but excited about what it can bring us. We can gain more respectability if not out and out glory.

    For those of you who are ready to give the game to Alabama, get off the bandwagon. Coaches Wade or Cameron (may their souls rest in peace) probably wouldn't want you around anyway.

    GO DUKE!
    Last edited by Kewlswim; 09-11-2010 at 10:08 PM. Reason: oops forgot something and grammar

  14. #34
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I would love to hear the receivers talk about whether the rain impacted those bobbled passes that turned into interceptions. Same with the punter. The ball just went right through our hands at some very inopportune moments.

    We are great on offense, actually had some balance with a running attack at times today, but the D needs to be better and we must eliminate mental mistakes.

    --Jason "I shudder to think about our run D versus the Bama rushing attack... shudder" Evans
    Wake played with the same ball. They were really lucky to get the 1st tipped INT as that ball seemed to hang in the air forever before they got it at turf level. The same receiver also had another ball go through his hands for a pick and then dropped about a 40 yard bomb at about the Wake 20.

  15. #35
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh
    Quote Originally Posted by mkline09 View Post
    Many will say the turnovers cost Duke the game, and they did hurt but lets face it giving up 54 points to Wake after giving up 27 to Elon is not a good sign.

    I cringe to see how many points Alabama will get next week unless some serious adjustments are made. Didn't matter if Wake was throwing or running the defense was awful. They gave up 500 yards of offense and allowed two quarterbacks with a total of 0 game experience run or throw ruff shod all over them.

    Numbers like that will probably help Duke end up being the worst defense in FBS. At least the running game looked legitimate and Renfree is the real deal. If Duke is to win many more games they are going to have to out score everybody. It is a shame because it isn't because there is a lack of effort it is just experience, technique and scheme are just all wrong right now.
    I'll quote cbnaylor (I think) from the locked thread as say it woulda been nice to have 1 or 3 holding calls against Wake. Their last TD was a direct result of a jersey grab/full nelson on one of our DB as they ran about 15 yds to their left and to our 1 or so and then scored.

    But, we just made too many mistakes today, especially our DB on 2 plays when we did not have a player within 10 yards of their WR.

  16. #36
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    The quoted post is from the Elon post game thread but I'm looking for responses from those who were at the game.

    With the score 14-7 Duke, Rwabukamba made a great play on the ball resulting in an interception. On TV it appeared he had a chance for a pick six but lacked the speed to pull it off as he was forced out of bounds as he scampered down the sideline. For those at the game, was that a legit pick six opportunity? A play which could have given Duke a 21-7 lead. Instead we get stopped, fumble the punt snap, and WF scores to tie it 14-14.
    I think I remember how the play unfolded after the INT. I am not sure he could have scored. They covered him fairly well/quickly as he ran it back.

  17. #37
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh
    Quote Originally Posted by DevilHorns View Post
    It's easy to put blame on the secondary; it would be much better if we could put any pressure on the qb!
    Using a 3-4, that will be difficult. Using smoke and mirrors and "multiplicity" or "multicality" or whatever it's being called this year will be difficult. Wake got away with a ton of holding today.

  18. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Wake played with the same ball. They were really lucky to get the 1st tipped INT as that ball seemed to hang in the air forever before they got it at turf level. The same receiver also had another ball go through his hands for a pick and then dropped about a 40 yard bomb at about the Wake 20.
    Yes, that was Austin Kelly. 2 of Renfree's 3 picks were attributed to Kelly having the ball hit him in the numbers and not being able to hang on. For Duke to take the next step, you have got to catch these passes and you certainly can't do what they did on the punt in the first half. Speaking of which, Cut took Jones out after that play. I believe the other punter was Alex King and he did an outstanding job.

    I think the rain hurt Duke a little more than it did Wake as the Deacs are more of a running team. The artificial grass at BB&T Field didn't seem to get as slick as normal grass might. However, if you want to win games you have to make the plays and limit mistakes. Duke simply made too many today to win and the magin for error is pretty slim. Rain or no rain you just have to make those catches.

  19. #39
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh
    Quote Originally Posted by 6th Man View Post
    Yes, that was Austin Kelly. 2 of Renfree's 3 picks were attributed to Kelly having the ball hit him in the numbers and not being able to hang on. For Duke to take the next step, you have got to catch these passes and you certainly can't do what they did on the punt in the first half. Speaking of which, Cut took Jones out after that play. I believe the other punter was Alex King and he did an outstanding job.

    I think the rain hurt Duke a little more than it did Wake as the Deacs are more of a running team. The artificial grass at BB&T Field didn't seem to get as slick as normal grass might. However, if you want to win games you have to make the plays and limit mistakes. Duke simply made too many today to win and the magin for error is pretty slim. Rain or no rain you just have to make those catches.
    The other punter was indeed Alex King and he hit a couple long ones, his first was probably too long as he out-kicked his coverage. We just might see a painting of him before the end of the year by one of our artists-in-residence on the board.

  20. #40
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    The other punter was indeed Alex King and he hit a couple long ones, his first was probably too long as he out-kicked his coverage. We just might see a painting of him before the end of the year by one of our artists-in-residence on the board.
    It will be easier to do as long as he has field time. I had a nice chat with his dad last weekend at our tailgate; he was recruited as a QB, but obviously he has too much talent in front of him at that position. His dad was hoping he'd be the starting punter next year, he might get his wish much earlier than expected. I thought he did a fine job kicking.
    Mmmm, BBQ!

Similar Threads

  1. MBB: Duke 90, Wake Forest 70 Post-Game Thread
    By Jumbo in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 196
    Last Post: 01-20-2010, 09:57 AM
  2. MBB: Duke 101, Wake Forest 91 Post-Game Thread
    By Bob Green in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 152
    Last Post: 02-24-2009, 03:18 PM
  3. MBB: Wake Forest 70, Duke 68 Post-Game Thread
    By Cavlaw in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 323
    Last Post: 01-31-2009, 12:51 PM
  4. Duke MBB at Wake Forest post-game thread
    By throatybeard in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 267
    Last Post: 02-21-2008, 01:37 PM
  5. Duke MBB vs. Wake Forest Pre-Game and In-Game Thread
    By Devils8780 in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 90
    Last Post: 02-17-2008, 10:03 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •