Duke football injury report, 9-9-2010

from Duke

"Duke Football Injury Report

September 9, 2010

At Wake Forest

No injuries to report"

Can't beat that!

Very much looking forward to Helfet's debut. He looked like a potent weapon before hurting his foot.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    from Duke

"Duke Football Injury Report

September 9, 2010

At Wake Forest

No injuries to report"

Can't beat that!
    A beautiful sight after last season.

Wow. How long has it been since we had a list with no injuries to report?

talked w Helfet's father at the Devil Walk Sat. he said his son was really looking forward to his first duke game, a nice guy

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by du_bb1 View Post
    talked w Helfet's father at the Devil Walk Sat. he said his son was really looking forward to his first duke game, a nice guy
    I'm really looking forward to his debut...not a bad way to do it..on TV! As far as Helfet's dad, I've not met him, but I met Alex King's dad last game and a few other parent's last year..I love the support they give their kids. Not that they wouldn't of course, but some of those folks make insane drives to come see their kids play.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I'm really looking forward to his debut...not a bad way to do it..on TV! As far as Helfet's dad, I've not met him, but I met Alex King's dad last game and a few other parent's last year..I love the support they give their kids. Not that they wouldn't of course, but some of those folks make insane drives to come see their kids play.
    It occurred to me last year that it is beyond curious how much we care so much about the sports our kids play. Very interesting phenonema.

Quote Originally Posted by greybeard View Post
    It occurred to me last year that it is beyond curious how much we care so much about the sports our kids play. Very interesting phenonema.
    Not sure what's so curious about it, parents of musicians, actors, and other people with talent frequently take significant interest in the talents of their children. People like to watch good entertainers (athletes are entertainers), I imagine watching someone who is good at what they do is even more rewarding when its someone you raised for X years. I think it would be curious for the opposite to be true.

Sorry to sort of derail this thread...its also really good to see this injury report. Seems to me that we are better equipped to handle injuries this year than in the past (at least at some positions), so the fact that we haven't faced any thus far is fantastic!

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Sorry to sort of derail this thread...its also really good to see this injury report. Seems to me that we are better equipped to handle injuries this year than in the past (at least at some positions), so the fact that we haven't faced any thus far is fantastic!
    Conditioning and depth. You think someone would've thought of that a few years ago . . . .

Conditioning and depth. You think someone would've thought of that a few years ago . . . .

I think that conditioning has a lot to do with recovering from or avoiding injuries. I am so glad that we have a coach that believes conditioning is important. That said, tomorrow will be a very physical game against WFU, so lets hope that we can keep the injury report this short for next week.

Quote Originally Posted by Battierfan01 View Post
    That said, tomorrow will be a very physical game against WFU, so lets hope that we can keep the injury report this short for next week.
    I agree with you 100 percent but it is the injury report for the week after next I'm really concerned about.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    I agree with you 100 percent but it is the injury report for the week after next I'm really concerned about.
    You are absolutely right! We don't want injuries that plague the team the remainder of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Not that I expect us to need them, but y'all realize, of course, that w/o injuries if things do head south this year then the folks on here are gonna hafta dig a lot deeper for rationalizations come Nov...

Let's keep those fingers crossed we'll not have any reason for such things this year!!

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Not sure what's so curious about it, parents of musicians, actors, and other people with talent frequently take significant interest in the talents of their children. People like to watch good entertainers (athletes are entertainers), I imagine watching someone who is good at what they do is even more rewarding when its someone you raised for X years. I think it would be curious for the opposite to be true.

Parents traveling hundreds of miles to watch their kid play a game. A 12 year old? A 19 year old? The latter whom you can see on TV. There is much more about participation in sport, especially team sport, for both player and parent than you are acknowledging.

The analogy to the actor is false. If there is a play in school there will be a couple to a handful of productions all in one week. Not a season full. Not interrupting one's work and life schedule.

How many games do you need to go to in order to support your son or daughter (much more interesting subject as concerns sons by the way, if you think about it beyond a nano second)? A couple of games a season will not do? How come?

Joseph Campbell and his writings on the hero and warrier myths that infuse and define cultures, Carl Yunge and his writing about similar phenomenon in the world of dreams, there is something about the striving for completeness, for maturity, as an individual that seems available through the expression of individualism in the context of team competition, I believe, that is the new religion, the new secret to passing from a society that seeks to infanilize into a person who is mature, who can decide what he wants and do it, that the participation in team sports holds out, and it is not just for our kids. Just my take, my own self-reflections.

I knew a guy in more than just passing, whose kid was a great hockey player, at least in our area. My friend went to every high school game his son played. Oh, I forgot to mention, his son went to high school in New Hampshire. We live in D.C. He went to every hockey game his son played in college too. A wonderful story. Mel, when I knew him, was a complete sports nut, a NY sports nut, and, while he loved em all, there were his Rangers. His son ended up making it big in the pros, a long 10 year career. But, every game?

And, how many parents who have no such notions that their sons can really make it in a sport, spend untold dollars on physical and skill trainers, in addition to club, travel and Regional teams, not missing hardly a game. Please. This isn't going to watch your kid in the lead of Bye Bye Birdie.
    Last edited by greybeard; 09-12-2010 at 09:36 AM.